Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Kamloops here we come EEK!

Wikiposts

Kamloops here we come EEK!

Old Jun 28th 2009, 3:33 am
Forum Regular

Psyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to all
Post Kamloops here we come EEK!

Hi All,

New to forum. Just received our formal job offers with Interior Health in Kamloops. Hoping to do some networking. Had recce to Vancouver/Victoria couple years back but have not visited Kamloops.

Kamloops sounds great and we're really thrilled (and daunted) by what lies ahead. Will be arriving cold with no first hand knowledge of area early in the new year

Any advice/insight/info etc would be great. Motivation for move same as most folk i guess, better lives for us and kids (current ages 11 months and 7 years). We are both RMN's if thats of any interest to anyone?
Old Jun 28th 2009, 3:37 am
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kamloops here we come EEK!

Originally Posted by Psyched
Will be arriving cold with no first hand knowledge of area early in the new year
Yes you will. January's a little chillly, but winter's pretty easy to cope with generally.

http://www.kamloops.ca/media/placeinthesun.shtml provides a some background.
Old Jun 28th 2009, 3:49 am
BE Enthusiast

4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome.

My OH is a RMN at hillside in Kamloops

we came out in January this year, any questions or help needed send us a pm
Old Jun 28th 2009, 4:34 am
Forum Regular

Psyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to all

Originally Posted by R I C H
Yes you will. January's a little chillly, but winter's pretty easy to cope with generally.

http://www.kamloops.ca/media/placeinthesun.shtml provides a some background.
Hi RICH,

Have done rather a lot of reading (anything i can find/watch) on Kamloops. Its the nitty gritty stuff i feel we are lacking i.e real experiences, what to expect etc. Feels rather daunting the multitude on things we will need to address when we arrive. been checking out houses on MLS and Google earth to figure residential areas. Though realise will need to rent initially. Hoping to make some friends, think we're gonna need em.
Old Jun 28th 2009, 4:38 am
Just Joined

victoria.lucas is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello!
I haven't been to Kamloops myself, but I have a few friends who went to University there and loved it so much they stayed.

Here is the town's official page. I hope it is helpful.

http://www.kamloops.ca/index.shtml
Old Jun 28th 2009, 6:27 am
Forum Regular

Thankyou, will do!
Old Jun 28th 2009, 4:21 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Hi RICH,

Have done rather a lot of reading (anything i can find/watch) on Kamloops. Its the nitty gritty stuff i feel we are lacking i.e real experiences, what to expect etc. Feels rather daunting the multitude on things we will need to address when we arrive. been checking out houses on MLS and Google earth to figure residential areas. Though realise will need to rent initially. Hoping to make some friends, think we're gonna need em.
We went through the exact same thing as you 2 years ago. I arrived at Kamloops greyhound bus station with only my suitcase and checked into a Motel.

I stayed there on and off for just over a month while I was waiting for my family to arrive from England. During that time I bought a vehicle, secured a mortgage, bought a house and last but not least, found a job.

I used the motel address to insure my car until I knew where I would be living, the bank gave me a mortgage without even having a job wouldn't happen now though.

2 years we have been in Kamloops and have never looked back, made so many good friends and we all really love it here.

My only tip to you is this, rent a place with central air conditioning!
Old Jun 29th 2009, 4:06 am
Forum Regular

volovolo1973 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All,

New to forum. Just received our formal job offers with Interior Health in Kamloops. Hoping to do some networking. Had recce to Vancouver/Victoria couple years back but have not visited Kamloops.

Kamloops sounds great and we're really thrilled (and daunted) by what lies ahead. Will be arriving cold with no first hand knowledge of area early in the new year

Any advice/insight/info etc would be great. Motivation for move same as most folk i guess, better lives for us and kids (current ages 11 months and 7 years). We are both RMN's if thats of any interest to anyone?
We doing the very same thing. OH has job with Interior Health and we arrive at the end of July. Initially we've booked into a hotel as we look around for a place to rent.

Not to worry too much guys in Kamloops have been fantastic in giving advice so do keep in touch with them. Good luck.

Meet you in Kamloops
Old Jun 29th 2009, 6:19 am
Forum Regular

My only tip to you is this, rent a place with central air conditioning![/QUOTE]

Bloody eck, you went for it. We will be arriving on mass.

Should be arriving 1st quarter of new year, not sure if thats a good or bad thing weather wise, though i'm sure whats supposed to happen will happen, if that makes any sense!
Old Jun 29th 2009, 6:41 am
Forum Regular

Smile Re: Kamloops here we come EEK!

Originally Posted by volovolo1973
We doing the very same thing. OH has job with Interior Health and we arrive at the end of July. Initially we've booked into a hotel as we look around for a place to rent.

Not to worry too much guys in Kamloops have been fantastic in giving advice so do keep in touch with them. Good luck.

Meet you in Kamloops

Hey good news and good luck, hope all goes as smoothly as poss. Be interested to hear how your getting on once you arrive. How long did PNP take (presuming that was your route) after you accepted position?
Old Jun 29th 2009, 7:53 am
Forum Regular

volovolo1973 is an unknown quantity at this point

PNP took 14 days. Decided to arrive on a PR rather than go through TWP and this took rather long but eventually got it. Total timeline was 8 months.
Old Jun 29th 2009, 11:06 pm
Forum Regular

Post Re: Kamloops here we come EEK!

Hi Can anybody enlighten us as to childcare availability in Kamloops?

We have two children and unfortunately cannot avoid the situation of both of us needing to work. Though we would hope to keep this to absolute minimum (childcare that is), hopefully by working different days though naturally expect this will not always be possible, Yikes!
Old Jun 30th 2009, 7:19 am
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Can anybody enlighten us as to childcare availability in Kamloops?

We have two children and unfortunately cannot avoid the situation of both of us needing to work. Though we would hope to keep this to absolute minimum (childcare that is), hopefully by working different days though naturally expect this will not always be possible, Yikes!
It all depends on where you live. The best thing to do is find an area to live first and then hunt for a day care between home and your place of work so that you can drop the kids off enroute.

Kamloops may appear small, but from one end to the other can take up to 25 mins by car, and that is with zero traffic. Last thing you want is to arrange day care at the complete opposite end of town from where you live.
Old Jun 30th 2009, 8:52 am
Forum Regular

Red face Re: Kamloops here we come EEK!

Originally Posted by Danny B
Kamloops may appear small, but from one end to the other can take up to 25 mins by car, and that is with zero traffic. Last thing you want is to arrange day care at the complete opposite end of town from where you live.
Thats interesting, as it appears bit smaller than that, then again i thought it had a 'hill' too google earth looks flatter!

What i was also kinda getting at was what expat's experiences of childcare services available were e.g quality?, easily found, hours, cost and similar; not locations as such. Hoping for reasurance i guess. Have had a look on web about regulation but again first hand info would be great

Still getting to grips with this forum stuff btw, please give me a nudge if i err........... hoping to be of help to others in the future!
Old Jun 30th 2009, 12:40 pm
Tea Drinker

They are about $40 per full day and $15 - $20 for the just the morning or afternoon.

No day care shortage that I know off and they are open early till late. We use a registered child minder who looks after kids at her house as opposed to a drop in center.