Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Just wondering why your leaving?

Just wondering why your leaving?

Old Jul 31st 2008, 8:13 pm
Forum Regular

hawkman will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Just wondering why your leaving?

Originally Posted by Canada2006
What "old-world" snobbery?

I've lived in the north and the south of the UK, in France and in Belgium, so I look at the UK with a step back. Frankly, I think it's generally a great country. It has its negatives as well as its positives.

We seriously did consider emmigrating back to the UK, but fancied giving Canada a go instead.

I think, and may people on the forum express the same opinion, that those who leave the UK for its negative reasons will not necessarily be happy in Canada. For example, healthcare in Canada is not that good - it's basically the same centralised misfunctioning system as the UK. I've heard of people returning to Belgium due to the poor quality of Canadian education....

Canada is no panacea - and believe me you will find "old-world" snobs, racists, louts, gangs, badly behaved children, drug addicts - they're all there!

Finally, I've lived in the north of England, and it has its positives: great scenary, developing cities, good chip shops, near to Wales. However, I've also lived in the south and found that the people there are generally more stimulating for me. Personal taste & character - that's all. That's why I'd live in the south again if I chose to move back to the UK.
No good back-tracking now; 'The north; sudder' that's what you said.

I do apologise if we weren't up to your lofty standards though.

Now if you excuse me I've got to go back to racing my whippet
Old Jul 31st 2008, 9:37 pm
Wanna-be Canadian

loser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant future
Smile Re: Just wondering why your leaving?

Well...

We are both in the UK but would LOVE to live in Canada.

I have never felt at home in the UK, or as if I belonged here, even though I'm white and British born.

The UK is over rated IMO, and the thing that gets to me/us most is how very wound up, self-centred and rude many people here are. That and the ridiculously high cost of living.

The dream of living in Canada gets me through the day, imagining being amongst laid back, easy going, overtly sociable people, who can buy a home for a sensible amount of money, enjoy a better life style, and who have the work-life balance much more sussed than most Brits seem too.

I realise Canada isn't the land of milk & honey and it also has its problems, but its the way that Canadians live with one another, and how they generally seem to treat people with an open, welcoming, kindness and trust that appeals to us.

We've visited twice over the last few years, and, finger's crossed & one or two miracles granted, the next time we land their, it will be using a one-way ticket to start a new better life.

Mark.
Old Aug 1st 2008, 2:14 am
BE Forum Addict

stepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by loser40
Well...

The dream of living in Canada gets me through the day, imagining being amongst laid back, easy going, overtly sociable people, who can buy a home for a sensible amount of money, enjoy a better life style, and who have the work-life balance much more sussed than most Brits seem too.

I realise Canada isn't the land of milk & honey and it also has its problems, but its the way that Canadians live with one another, and how they generally seem to treat people with an open, welcoming, kindness and trust that appeals to us.
You're right. It's just one great big love-in over here. I can't get through the day without being hugged by every Canadian that I meet!
Old Aug 1st 2008, 4:29 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

..imagining being amongst laid back, easy going, overtly sociable people, who can buy a home for a sensible amount of money
Generally not so true where I am, especially the cost of real estate. Lots of kranky old blue-rinse prairie fascists and uptight conservative types stuck right up their own azz. Plenty of retards too, and socially inept types.

enjoy a better life style, and who have the work-life balance much more sussed than most Brits seem too.
Generally true for sure here in this little part of BC, and BC as a whole. Certainly works that way for us. Work comes second to life/leisure/pleasure - just a means to an end, albeit an interesting and rewarding one, it's no more than that right now.

R.
Old Aug 1st 2008, 5:48 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rich_007
Generally not so true where I am, especially the cost of real estate. Lots of kranky old blue-rinse prairie fascists and uptight conservative types stuck right up their own azz. Plenty of retards too, and socially inept types.
You don't have exclusivity to that lot, we got tons of them here too.
Old Aug 1st 2008, 6:09 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
You don't have exclusivity to that lot, we got tons of them here too.
Yeah but we seem to get all the ones with money.

On that basis I can only deduce that money doesn't make people happy.

R.
Old Aug 1st 2008, 6:18 pm

Yeah but we seem to get all the ones with money.

On that basis I can only deduce that money doesn't make people happy.

R.
Gee I hope not all of the ones with money.

We still have a ton of RV's to send your way.

Nope money does not buy happiness but it's way ahead of whatever is in second place.

Not that I would know.
Old Aug 1st 2008, 6:23 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

R.
OI
I resent that reference to my Family
Old Aug 1st 2008, 6:52 pm
Lotus-eater

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
OI
I resent that reference to my Family
Your family are just "special", Butch.

R.
Old Aug 1st 2008, 6:56 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Your family are just "special", Butch.

R.
Yeah we have our own Yellow Bus
Old Aug 1st 2008, 7:04 pm

Yeah we have our own Yellow Bus
Short one?
Old Aug 1st 2008, 7:18 pm
Lotus-eater

Short one?
They all wear orange snorkel parkas.

R.
Old Aug 1st 2008, 7:50 pm
Banned

Short one?
yes
Old Aug 1st 2008, 7:50 pm
Banned

They all wear orange snorkel parkas.

R.
with our names on the back
Old Aug 1st 2008, 7:54 pm
Lotus-eater

with our names on the back
And momma used string to tie your mittens together so you wouldn't lose one of them ?

R.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.