Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Just wondering why your leaving?

Just wondering why your leaving?

Old Jul 30th 2008, 4:25 pm
Forum Regular

Grendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really nice
Default Re: Just wondering why your leaving?

Originally Posted by dbd33
So has the UK. The Scottish highlands are very attractive, lochs, mountains, wild weather. No jobs there, of course, but that's true of the scenic bits of most countries.
True, true. A remote part of Scotland might be our Plan B if Canada doesn't work out. The only problem would be that unless the SNP take charge and turn Scotland into an island in the North Sea, Gordon Brown would still have his incompetent hands round our wallets.
Old Jul 30th 2008, 4:28 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grendel
True, true. A remote part of Scotland might be our Plan B if Canada doesn't work out. The only problem would be that unless the SNP take charge and turn Scotland into an island in the North Sea, Gordon Brown would still have his incompetent hands round our wallets.
I must ask,...Have you examined the niceties of Canadian politics at all?

Funny, GB had his hand on your wallet a lot more when he was chancellor rather than PM, and yet he managed to be one of the longest lasting and most popular chancellors in history, and presided over one of, if not the, longest periods of growth in the UK economy. Taxes are inevitable, doesnt matter where you go.

Politicians of all kinds come and go, its not a reason to emmigrate unless there is a good chance the politicians will cause the army to come to your village, round you all up and shoot every third man over the age of 14.... Get some perspective, please!

Last edited by iaink; Jul 30th 2008 at 4:34 pm.
Old Jul 30th 2008, 4:30 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mikey B
Right! Im glad your so well educated and worldly wise to appreciate that
Of course. In Yam Yam land they have 6 fingers on one hand. The thumbs of each hand always point in the same direction too.

R.
Old Jul 30th 2008, 4:32 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
And as for 'every street corner' having the yobs you talk about - I have never, ever seen them anywhere! Whether on holiday in Devon, Lake District, Yorkshire, or at home, I've just never come across those kind of people.
Next time to visit Devon, take a detour to ye olde worlde Swilley, Plymouth (North Prospect) and ask for the local yobs. They'll happily oblige by stealing from you and trashing your car like the scene from Trainspotting with the yank touristos..

You are either:

a) an idiot
b) blind
c) deluded
d) wrapped in a nice big ball of pink fluff
e) other

You decide...

R.
Old Jul 30th 2008, 4:40 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rich_007
Next time to visit Devon, take a detour to ye olde worlde Swilley, Plymouth (North Prospect) and ask for the local yobs. They'll happily oblige by stealing from you and trashing your car like the scene from Trainspotting with the yank touristos..

You are either:

a) an idiot
b) blind
c) deluded
e) other

You decide...

R.

Those criteria also apply to you if you think canada is entirely yob free.

There as parts of the UK that are yob free, just as there are parts of Canada where yobbism is alive and well.
Old Jul 30th 2008, 4:44 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by Iain Mc
Asides from the oodles of Government jobs, that is! Even though you'd do better to speak Mandarin or Cantonese as a second language in Vancouver, they all still want the French....
Generally government jobs have to wait till you are a citizen, so not much help if fresh off the boat. Nice for call center work though.

There are naturally, exceptions to every rule though.
Old Jul 30th 2008, 4:53 pm
Lotus-eater

Originally Posted by iaink
Those criteria also apply to you if you think canada is entirely yob free.
Don't be a goof Iain, you know the score on that as do I most clearly and most realistically and with experience.

R.
Old Jul 30th 2008, 4:55 pm
Forum Regular

Grendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really nice

Originally Posted by iaink
I must ask,...Have you examined the niceties of Canadian politics at all? Funny, GB had his hand on your wallet a lot more when he was chancellor rather than PM, and yet he managed to be one of the longest lasting and most popular chancellors in history, and presided over one of, if not the, longest periods of growth in the UK economy. Taxes are inevitable, doesnt matter where you go. Politicians of all kinds come and go, its not a reason to emmigrate
I'm sure Canada has politicians as bad as, or worse than, our current government, but I have to talk about what I know first hand, and not about Canadian politics I've only read about on the net and obviously know less about that you. GB might have been long-lasting and popular (with some), but now he is in charge he has to carry the can for the state of the country which has, as many people here clearly believe, got worse in recent years.

Of course my dislike of the man and his comrades is not a reason to leave the country - nobody is so dense as to make such a life-changing decision because of politicians who could all be replaced in a few years.

Everybody has their own reasons for emigrating, some important, some not so important. Personally, we believe that on the whole Canada seems a positive country with a lot going for it. However bad its politicians might be, or how high its taxes are, or however many problems might be waiting for us, we feel it has to be worth the gamble of giving up our life here. To stay in the UK, just grumbling about the state of the country and how it was better in my day, etc, ad infinitum, is not an option for us.

Canada might be better than the UK, it might be worse - we're realistic enough to know that it won't be paradise - but we're going to do everything we can to find out for ourselves.
Old Jul 30th 2008, 5:29 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Lord no, she thinks they still employ that awful Julie Burchill. She "reads" the Mail.
A couple of weeks ago we were unpacking some stuff which had been in storage in the UK, and amongst all the newspaper wrapping/packing was a copy of Private Eye from 23 July 1999.

There was a story in the Street of Shame section about Julie Burchill having just been awarded "Worst Columnist in Britain" or something similar.

Alan Rusbridger, editor of The Guardian, commented, "It's ridiculuous to say that Julie Burchill is the worst columnist in Britain. In fact, she's not even the worst columnist at The Guardian."

Last edited by Jingsamichty; Jul 30th 2008 at 5:34 pm.
Old Jul 30th 2008, 5:34 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Grendal, Good for you for getting off your arse and going for it, I hope it works out.

Rich, Im not being a goof, you know as well as I do that the UK is not all bad. Granted, my family and friends have decent jobs, and live in "good" areas, but they have no problem at all with "yoofs" hanging around and making trouble, or pregnant teenage chavs with ASBOs and all that other crap the Daily Mail blathers on about.

In general its a pleasure to go over and visit them. I wouldnt want to live there anymore as you know, and probably would struggle to buy in a :good: area, but to make out that the UK is all one big cesspit of humanity is idiotic. There are many many far worse countries in the world still.
Old Jul 30th 2008, 5:47 pm
Forum Regular

Big Stevo has much to be proud ofBig Stevo has much to be proud ofBig Stevo has much to be proud ofBig Stevo has much to be proud ofBig Stevo has much to be proud ofBig Stevo has much to be proud ofBig Stevo has much to be proud ofBig Stevo has much to be proud ofBig Stevo has much to be proud ofBig Stevo has much to be proud ofBig Stevo has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Grendel
I'm sure Canada has politicians as bad as, or worse than, our current government, but I have to talk about what I know first hand, and not about Canadian politics I've only read about on the net and obviously know less about that you. GB might have been long-lasting and popular (with some), but now he is in charge he has to carry the can for the state of the country which has, as many people here clearly believe, got worse in recent years.

Of course my dislike of the man and his comrades is not a reason to leave the country - nobody is so dense as to make such a life-changing decision because of politicians who could all be replaced in a few years.

Everybody has their own reasons for emigrating, some important, some not so important. Personally, we believe that on the whole Canada seems a positive country with a lot going for it. However bad its politicians might be, or how high its taxes are, or however many problems might be waiting for us, we feel it has to be worth the gamble of giving up our life here. To stay in the UK, just grumbling about the state of the country and how it was better in my day, etc, ad infinitum, is not an option for us.

Canada might be better than the UK, it might be worse - we're realistic enough to know that it won't be paradise - but we're going to do everything we can to find out for ourselves.
Here, here. Well said my friend, I've given up taking the news on the telly too seriously. It really just drags you down. I don't even talk about it too colleagues or friends. All I know is that there is no good moaning and whinging about something or somewhere if you don't:
A: let it wash over your head, or B: Do something about it.
Me personally, I've never been very good at excepting things because "that's the way things are". We are going to emigrate, sooner rather than later. If it works out, me and the wife get to bring our kids up in a safer, happier and cleaner enviroment. If it doesn't work out, then at least we've had a go.
I'd rather regret doing something rather than regret not doing something..
Life's not a dress rehearsal!!
Old Jul 30th 2008, 5:52 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rich_007

You are either:

a) an idiot
b) blind
c) deluded
e) other

You decide...

R.
How about (f) I never said there weren't any yobs in the UK, simply that I'd never come across any personally. Does that warrant calling me an idiot or deluded? Not sure how a personal attack was necessary when I simply gave an opinion?

I'm not denying that yobs and crime exist here, simply that most people don't come up against them in their day to day life. And if they do on a regular basis, and don't like it, there are plenty of places in the UK where they can move to to avoid them. The UK is hardly overrun with them, contrary to what some would have us believe.

Oh, and I've never seen Trainspotting so have no idea about the scene you mention.
Old Jul 30th 2008, 5:57 pm
No time for muppets!

Mikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Why do I not recognise the UK at all in what you've written? I genuinely don't think that about here at all. Yes, gas, electricity, food and petrol are going up and house prices are coming down but that's not just the UK - just ask the Americans!! It's a global economy thing. (although never heard wages are falling - certainly my husband's have risen by nearly 50% in the past 3 years and everybody else I know is moving steadily up the income ladder too). And house prices are not falling by much, tiny amounts when you consider how much everybody has made on property in the past 10 years - our house has risen in value by £230k since we bought it in 2004 which is mad!!

And as for 'every street corner' having the yobs you talk about - I have never, ever seen them anywhere! Whether on holiday in Devon, Lake District, Yorkshire, or at home, I've just never come across those kind of people. All of the children we know (a lot, from various parts of the UK) are well behaved and polite. I certainly feel 100% safe and secure here, and there's no CCTV!

Perhaps it's a city thing? I hate cities so rarely go to them and it's certainly not something I've seen in any of the rural communities we frequent, or where we live. I do sometimes go to London, which yes, has beggars, pickpockets, homeless, etc, but then doesn't every city in the world?

Just beginning to wonder if I'm living in another country in some bizarre parallel universe?!?
I think different people see things differently. I hear comments about Canada being similar std and cost of living to the UK and think Im in a different universe over here because to me there is no comparison. I also disagree in that you dont recognise the UK in the post you quoted as its exactly the UK I left 4 years ago.

However we all think and see things differently otherwise it would get pretty boring and some people will see 1 thing with blinkers while another will not.
Old Jul 30th 2008, 6:18 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mikey B
I hear comments about Canada being similar std and cost of living to the UK and think Im in a different universe over here because to me there is no comparison. .
Such as, Mikey?
Old Jul 30th 2008, 7:55 pm
NEMESIS

dazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hortons to go
Hi all, We started looking at Canada over four years ago. At that time it was all about cheaper houses larger gardens and all with no mortgage. All achievable by selling our semi. After visiting NS in 2007 and a noticable drop in our quality of life. We still like the idea of a nice house etc. but its not until you see how other people live can you see how bad it has become here.

I have seen our police turned into revenue collectors, children run the streets, CCTV everywhere but no sense of feeling secure, being made to feel guilty about everything, smoking, drinking, eating fast food, too much salt not enough exercise, turn your lights off, recycle, don't drive, don't fly, don't question anything or anyone.
Murderers, muggers and rapists go free but 'canoe man gets 6 years. Road tax going up, petrol going up, gas and electric going up, food going up, population going up.
House prices falling, car values falling, wages falling.
Every street corner has a group of Jeremy Kyle wanabees with a can of stella and a rabid dog in hand.
And all the while our idiot government wants to spend our money dropping bombs on large lumps of desert.
This about sums it up for me too

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.