Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Just want to leave..........

Just want to leave..........

Old Oct 31st 2010, 9:24 am
BE Enthusiast

snowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud of
Default Re: Just want to leave..........

Originally Posted by nickmurphy
Hi we are a family with 2 kids 12 and 8 and have applied to immigrate to canada, you say your wife is struggling, can you give me any advice before we make are final decision, we live about 28 miles outside london at the moment and the kids are in a lovely school so i am neverous about packing up, and need to know that its worth it.
I think your teenager may find it tough. whether its worth it really depends on what you are doing now, what you will be doing in canada, and what you want out of life. Moving country is a big deal and you cant really know how you are going to pass through it. proper non rose tinted research helps, but even that only goes so far.

personally if you have jobs you like, live in a place you like and the kids are doing what you want them to do in a nice school i would stay put. You can always visit canada - many times! for the cost of an immigration project that you are not sure about.

Oh and Welcome to the forum nickmurphy

Last edited by snowshoveller; Oct 31st 2010 at 10:37 am. Reason: saying hello!
Old Oct 31st 2010, 2:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Now in West London, but one day soon in Vancouver.....!
julius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond repute

hi guys!
yes, its me again, visiting the forum after a long while..
just a few words of advice from someone who was in the very same position as yourself back in 2004!

do yourself justice and dont jump to conclusions so early!
as everyone on here has said, your position is one of the critical transition period...it is round about this time that emigres start feeling awkward, and any little niggles that may have been in their kinds, get magnified a hundred thousand times, for no reason at all!

sure youre p--d off, sure its getting cold and miserable, sure things are different, sure youre working real hard just to survive, sure you miss england and your mates, BUT....canada's different, things are done differently, wages dont seem to go as far as they do in england, the weather is a bugger in winter, and no, you wont get the things you got in england so easily..

the thing is, and here's the clincher, just you come back to england for 1 week, yes, just 1 week, and i bet my bottom loonie that you'll be running around like a chickless heading (!) trying to book your flights back to canada!

sorry mate...the england you think about when youre over there is NOT the england that youll get when you come back! its in a right state, i tell you!

you just need to get stuck into your life, whatever youre doing there, and try and live each day, day by day, throwing all your thoughts about merry ol' england away for a while....that way, youll find time flies by, you feel better, and wont miss england that much.

trust me, when we were there, they had one of the baddest winters on record apparently...me and the wife got about 2 weeks walking done (we always were fond of taking long walks), before the weather suddenly changed and temperatures dropped like a hot potato, to around -35C!!

that really killed it for me, and on top of that we of course had our family, shall we say, manipulation problems, which was the last straw that broke the camels back as they say!

take it from me, mate...coming back is the biggest mistake i made in my life, so pls dont pack it in so easily..you only get these chances a few times in life, dont waste them!

and when winter has passed, and that stupendously bright sun comes back, youll wonder what the fuss was about!
Old Oct 31st 2010, 3:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

airbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by julius smith
hi guys!
just a few words of advice from someone who was in the very same position as yourself back in 2004!

as everyone on here has said, your position is one of the critical transition period...it is round about this time that emigres start feeling awkward, and any little niggles that may have been in their kinds, get magnified a hundred thousand times, for no reason at all!

sure youre p--d off, sure its getting cold and miserable, sure things are different, sure youre working real hard just to survive, sure you miss england and your mates, BUT....canada's different, things are done differently, wages dont seem to go as far as they do in england, the weather is a bugger in winter, and no, you wont get the things you got in england so easily..

the thing is, and here's the clincher, just you come back to england for 1 week, yes, just 1 week, and i bet my bottom loonie that you'll be running around like a chickless heading (!) trying to book your flights back to canada!

sorry mate...the england you think about when youre over there is NOT the england that youll get when you come back! its in a right state, i tell you!

you just need to get stuck into your life, whatever youre doing there, and try and live each day, day by day, throwing all your thoughts about merry ol' england away for a while....that way, youll find time flies by, you feel better, and wont miss england that much.

trust me, when we were there, they had one of the baddest winters on record apparently...me and the wife got about 2 weeks walking done (we always were fond of taking long walks), before the weather suddenly changed and temperatures dropped like a hot potato, to around -35C!!

that really killed it for me, and on top of that we of course had our family, shall we say, manipulation problems, which was the last straw that broke the camels back as they say!

take it from me, mate...coming back is the biggest mistake i made in my life, so pls dont pack it in so easily..you only get these chances a few times in life, dont waste them!

and when winter has passed, and that stupendously bright sun comes back, youll wonder what the fuss was about!
It is 23 years since we left (with 4 years back in the UK 02-06) I still miss the UK, but not a day passes where I am not thankful that I do not live there any more.

That being said, if I was well established in the UK, lived in a nice area that ticked all the boxes, then I would not come over without secure employment...and would really weigh up whether to come at all.

If I was in a crap area of the UK or had a sh_t job with few opportunities then I would definitely take the leap.

In both cases however, I would send the main bread winner over to get well and truly sorted first before bringing the family along for the ride.

Not easy to leave the family for an extended period, but I see it as prudent step before leaping....although I myself did not come over in advance of the family as that option was not available to us.

As for the cold winter business, like many I am sure, I get by with a fleece and a shell/lined jacket.....I don't own any civilian kit rated for Everest!

The UK...a nice place to visit...and that's it.

Last edited by airbornesapper; Oct 31st 2010 at 5:03 pm.
Old Oct 31st 2010, 4:57 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nickmurphy
Hi we are a family with 2 kids 12 and 8 and have applied to immigrate to canada, you say your wife is struggling, can you give me any advice before we make are final decision, we live about 28 miles outside london at the moment and the kids are in a lovely school so i am neverous about packing up, and need to know that its worth it.
Unfortunately only you are going to know whether it is worth it or not. Depends on your needs and expectations. If you are moving for change for the sake of trying something different then a good chance it would be worthwhile. If you are moving for a better job, higher standard of living, more stuff, be prepared to have to wait for this it could take a few years to get back up to where you are now.

Few immigrants move without a struggle or two, some economically, some emotional, some both. Part of the process.
Old Oct 31st 2010, 7:01 pm
Forum Regular

Boo Boo is just really niceBoo Boo is just really niceBoo Boo is just really niceBoo Boo is just really niceBoo Boo is just really niceBoo Boo is just really niceBoo Boo is just really niceBoo Boo is just really niceBoo Boo is just really niceBoo Boo is just really nice

Originally Posted by Paul in Victoria
We just want to pack up and go!
One small thing after another, relentless for the last couple of months.
We just can't seem to get a break!
Work, family, life! All just crap!
Have sent you a PM
Old Oct 31st 2010, 7:15 pm
Just Joined

jules777 is just really nicejules777 is just really nicejules777 is just really nicejules777 is just really nicejules777 is just really nicejules777 is just really nicejules777 is just really nicejules777 is just really nice

I was just reading this thread when i saw your reply and i thought, Wow you just about summed it up, its a great reply, i have only been here about 6 weeks and my husband had to go back to England for 10 days to sort some housey things out and all i have heard from him is "i cannot wait to come back and get out of here" (london).
I wish you the best of luck in getting back out here i shall keep my fingers crossed inside my snuggly gloves!
hi guys!

Old Oct 31st 2010, 7:15 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boo Boo
Have sent you a PM
Any particular reason we all need to know this?
Old Oct 31st 2010, 7:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul in Victoria
We just want to pack up and go!
One small thing after another, relentless for the last couple of months.
We just can't seem to get a break!
Work, family, life! All just crap!
Sorry to hear- maybe if you feel like it share some things and we can help?
Old Nov 1st 2010, 5:30 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Paul - yup you are hitting the oh crap is this it stage - this time last year I was sooo ill with depression and I mean really ill. I would have gladly left my husband, kids an dogs here and gone back to the uk if some one had givien me a ticket - and drivine me to the airport, I couldnt physically get off the sofa or out of the door . . . .BUt - things change, (meds help!!) I got a job - its crappy, but I now mix with other humans , , ,

Now I do like the place, yes I miss the uk - but my friends and family - I went back 2 x this summer, and was worried that it would put me back to square one - but no, I was happy to come back

Give it a year - it seems so hard and bleak but at least a year -then make your decision . . .

ps there are 2 fab GoodLife gyms in Victoria - one run by a Brit - pop by, join, excercisee - raise the endorphins it helps!
Old Nov 1st 2010, 10:34 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

The OP should enjoy reading some of the replies but take most of them with a pinch of salt due to the subjectiveness of them.

I love living in the UK. It has lots of great things about it. Great opportunities, etc etc etc. I also love living in Canada. It has lots of great things about it. Great opportunities, etc etc etc.

The OP should decide what's best for THEM, not what was best for others.
Old Nov 1st 2010, 3:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

julius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond repute

yes, el richo...i agree totally.
we are all looking at it from our own perspectives, and the only way theOP can decide is to look at his own woes, weigh them up, nays against the yays, then make the decision.

if it means coming back to blighty, well, so be it, but as they say, and i will detract from the vernacular slightly here..." as long as ive got a hole in the old orifice, he will regret it.." !!

begging your pardon, ladies of course! (and moderators!)

seriously, there s pros n cons everywhere...canada is unbeatable in some ways, a bit crappy in others...you just have to weigh things up...possibly think of what the uk will be like in another 10 yrs, going the way it is...
Old Nov 1st 2010, 5:58 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

yes, el richo...i agree totally.
we are all looking at it from our own perspectives, and the only way theOP can decide is to look at his own woes, weigh them up, nays against the yays, then make the decision.

if it means coming back to blighty, well, so be it, but as they say, and i will detract from the vernacular slightly here..." as long as ive got a hole in the old orifice, he will regret it.." !!

begging your pardon, ladies of course! (and moderators!)

seriously, there s pros n cons everywhere...canada is unbeatable in some ways, a bit crappy in others...you just have to weigh things up...possibly think of what the uk will be like in another 10 yrs, going the way it is...
You couldn't resist it could you.
Old Nov 2nd 2010, 11:25 am
BE Enthusiast

eh?????

Originally Posted by Tangram
You couldn't resist it could you.
Old Nov 2nd 2010, 11:58 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

eh?????
I think they were commenting on the fact that in one sentence you suggest the OP should be wary of the subjective nature of many replies, and then follow this up with a sentence suggesting they will regret moving back to the UK for reasons based upon your own subjective view
Old Nov 2nd 2010, 3:31 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
I think they were commenting on the fact that in one sentence you suggest the OP should be wary of the subjective nature of many replies, and then follow this up with a sentence suggesting they will regret moving back to the UK for reasons based upon your own subjective view
Bullseye

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.