Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Just swapped UK license for BC easy!

Just swapped UK license for BC easy!

Old Jul 13th 2010, 10:55 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just swapped UK license for BC easy!

While getting messed about in the local ICBC office here I overheard several people get asked questions as they carried out licence exchanges (inter-province). The questions were varied.

I'd suggest you get hold of a copy of the highway code equivalent for your own province and study it to save any surprises. One lady in the office was very casual about answers given, the other was a stickler for an accurate response.
Old Jul 13th 2010, 10:56 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R I C H
While getting messed about in the local ICBC office here I overheard several people get asked questions as they carried out licence exchanges (inter-province). The questions were varied.

I'd suggest you get hold of a copy of the highway code equivalent for your own province and study it to save any surprises. One lady in the office was very casual about answers given, the other was a stickler for an accurate response.
Did anyone 'fail'?
Old Jul 13th 2010, 11:01 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Did anyone 'fail'?
No, but one was asked to take a copy of the Road Sense book away with them when he didn't know the answer to what a flashing green light meant. His SK. licence still got swapped though.
Old Jul 13th 2010, 11:03 pm
Britnadian

hpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of light

Did anyone 'fail'?
I was told these are not pass or fail questions, just making sure you know. If you get them wrong they set you straight.

I was asked:
* If you see a schoolbus stopped with lights on, what do you do? (stop, even if on other side of road)
* Flashing greens mean what? (pedestrian controlled light)
* One more I cant remember
Old Jul 14th 2010, 1:26 am
BE Enthusiast

MR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to all

what do you do when a moterbike driver is behind you........... the kind lady in metrotown office asked me the questions and gave me the answers casually as i attempted to answer them.........
Old Jul 14th 2010, 2:03 am
Forum Regular

The Esses will become famous soon enoughThe Esses will become famous soon enough

It was too easy.

As someone said, they were just making sure that people knew and telling them the answers if they didn't.

I can drive!!
Old Jul 17th 2010, 11:57 am
Just Joined

Location: Till recently, Bristol, UK. Now in Northern Ireland sorting out our home here for selling.
tagw is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by optimadam
I was wondering what the green flashing light was about. Asked a few people and they didn't have a clue either.
Hello. I have been driving since 1994, so I guess I'll be able to get a BC's driver's licence quite easily. My husband is taking his UK driving test next week. We are landing in BC in September. Does this really mean he will have to spent 2-3 years driving in BC before being granted a BC Driver's Licence? My understanding is he will have to do this Graduate Training Programme. What a nightmare ..... anyone had to do this?
Old Jul 20th 2010, 9:23 pm
Account Closed

cristofa is an unknown quantity at this point

... what a relief to hear this! I've been driving a long time, but didn't relish the idea of having to take a car and motorcycle driving test again. And it just didn't make sense that a lot of countries could swap, while Brits (with one of the stiffest driving tests) had to take a test to get a BC license.

Have recently discovered this site - seems packed with useful information.
Old Jul 27th 2010, 6:36 am
Forum Regular

paulhothersall is just really nicepaulhothersall is just really nicepaulhothersall is just really nicepaulhothersall is just really nicepaulhothersall is just really nicepaulhothersall is just really nicepaulhothersall is just really nicepaulhothersall is just really nice

Originally Posted by kezza708
Hey All,

Just got back from ICBC and managed to swap my UK license for a BC one which is great no testing!

Been in Vancouver for 18months but they were not bothered at all. All I had to do was do an eye test which was fun and easy, pay the money have my photo taken and answer the usual 3 safety questions about a school bus, motorcycle and the flashy green light!

They took my license as they keep it under reciprical agreement (they do not send it back to UK). I checked this with DVLA and they confirmed that this was arrangement and that I can drive in UK for up to one year with BC license and if I require a replacement for my UK one I can just ask, there will be no problem to get one through the usual channels (its all money though isnt it!). I kept a photocopy of the card and paper bit though just in case!

So all done really happy now just waiting for the photocard!

Just the eye test for me, and the photo.

They took the photo without my glasses on, and when I got my licence, it does not say I need to wear them. Even my uk card had that restriction on it.

Fast turn around, maybe 5 days to get the licence card.

I handed over my driver abstract from DVLA and 4 weeks later am still waiting for "permission" to do my class 4.

Last edited by paulhothersall; Jul 27th 2010 at 6:48 am.
Old Jul 27th 2010, 2:44 pm
Britnadian

hpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of light

Related question folks. I have been driving since 2002... so I'm two years away from 10 years on the roads. Over here, they knock a bit of your insurance for that, but is that if you have 10 years on UK and Canadian Licence combined (i.e. I have 8) or just 10 years on Canadian Licence (i.e. I have 0, working towards one year)?
Old Jul 27th 2010, 3:35 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hpka
Related question folks. I have been driving since 2002... so I'm two years away from 10 years on the roads. Over here, they knock a bit of your insurance for that, but is that if you have 10 years on UK and Canadian Licence combined (i.e. I have 8) or just 10 years on Canadian Licence (i.e. I have 0, working towards one year)?
Combined.
Old Jul 27th 2010, 3:38 pm
Britnadian

Combined.

Now just to get these pesky mid-twenties out the way!