Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Just swapped UK license for BC easy!

Just swapped UK license for BC easy!

Old Jul 6th 2010, 8:18 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just swapped UK license for BC easy!

Originally Posted by NatsnSid
I am not saying its right - just enjoying the gift!
As would I in your position. I don't think you are doing anything immoral by using this loop hole.
Old Jul 6th 2010, 8:49 pm
Forum Regular

badab1ng has a brilliant futurebadab1ng has a brilliant futurebadab1ng has a brilliant futurebadab1ng has a brilliant futurebadab1ng has a brilliant futurebadab1ng has a brilliant future
Unhappy Re: Just swapped UK license for BC easy!

Where do I stand ? I can't apply for my new BC licence until my PRC comes through ( have applied in Canada spouse status 7 to 8 months processing). I'm only allowed 90 days on my UK licence so I am unable to drive for the 4/5 month gap ?? Is that correct ??
Old Jul 6th 2010, 8:53 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by badab1ng
Where do I stand ? I can't apply for my new BC licence until my PRC comes through ( have applied in Canada spouse status 7 to 8 months processing). I'm only allowed 90 days on my UK licence so I am unable to drive for the 4/5 month gap ?? Is that correct ??
What is your status in Canada? If you are a visitor you can drive for 6mos.
Old Jul 6th 2010, 9:52 pm
Forum Regular

badab1ng has a brilliant futurebadab1ng has a brilliant futurebadab1ng has a brilliant futurebadab1ng has a brilliant futurebadab1ng has a brilliant futurebadab1ng has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Alan2005
What is your status in Canada? If you are a visitor you can drive for 6mos.
I guess as my application is still being processed I am a visitor. Didn't realize I had 6 months was told by autoplan I only had 90 days.
Old Jul 6th 2010, 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by badab1ng
I guess as my application is still being processed I am a visitor. Didn't realize I had 6 months was told by autoplan I only had 90 days.
Not sure about insurance, but it says here your driving licence is valid for 6 mos if you are a visitor.

http://www.icbc.com/driver-licensing/moving-bc
Old Jul 7th 2010, 12:04 am
BE Enthusiast

jerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
Try going to another office- when Hubby went to Burnaby yesterday he was the fist brit to ask for the Bike licence swap - he has the driving licence here - they just did it!
Hi,
Did he get a temporary paper licence or a photocard.
Co incidently i was the first brit in north van.

Is it biking weather or what

cheers
Jerry
Old Jul 7th 2010, 12:06 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jerry brewer
Hi,
Did he get a temporary paper licence or a photocard.
Co incidently i was the first brit in north van.

Is it biking weather or what

cheers
Jerry
Yup - temp paper motor bike licence - they have taken his photo driving licenece and will send up dated

Fab weather - but no bike yet!
Old Jul 7th 2010, 5:40 pm
Just Joined

TTopping is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All, I too have just swapped my UK license for a BC one. I was over the 90 day limit by a week but they didnt seem to mind. I didnt have to answer any questions though, i wonder if this is because i swapped within the 90 days? Maybe if you are over by a while like a previous posting they may ask you the questions? I just had to show my work permit as primary ID and my Care Card for secondary ID, have the eye test and my photo taken and that was that. Easy!
They didnt keep the counterpart of my licesnse either just the card. I'll get a duplicate license from the DVLA.
Old Jul 7th 2010, 7:37 pm
Heading to toronto or cal

joycejimi is a name known to alljoycejimi is a name known to alljoycejimi is a name known to alljoycejimi is a name known to alljoycejimi is a name known to alljoycejimi is a name known to alljoycejimi is a name known to alljoycejimi is a name known to alljoycejimi is a name known to alljoycejimi is a name known to alljoycejimi is a name known to all

Originally Posted by TTopping
Hi All, I too have just swapped my UK license for a BC one. I was over the 90 day limit by a week but they didnt seem to mind. I didnt have to answer any questions though, i wonder if this is because i swapped within the 90 days? Maybe if you are over by a while like a previous posting they may ask you the questions? I just had to show my work permit as primary ID and my Care Card for secondary ID, have the eye test and my photo taken and that was that. Easy!
They didnt keep the counterpart of my licesnse either just the card. I'll get a duplicate license from the DVLA.
I was also able to swapped my UK license at ICBC office in Langley after being in Canada for five months. I had even done the knowledge test a month after I landed in January, I was just trying to take a few lesson for the road test when I learn I can now swap my license. I was not asked any question at the ICBC office but the counterpart of my UK license was taken from me. Just wondering, how can I get a duplicate license from DVLA?
Old Jul 7th 2010, 8:34 pm
Just Joined

It looks like we will have to apply as if our license has been lost or something. See the link below and this will take you through the process.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring...nce/DG_4022085

Old Jul 7th 2010, 8:47 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

It looks like we will have to apply as if our license has been lost or something. See the link below and this will take you through the process.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring...nce/DG_4022085

And lie about your residency....

The Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) is unable to issue a duplicate driving licence as you are no longer resident in Great Britain (GB)

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Diol1/Mo...A0+Next%C2%A0+
Old Jul 7th 2010, 9:45 pm
Just Joined

yeah your right, luckily I still have a house there for the time being. To be honest it may not even be worth getting a duplicate as our Permanent Residency is going through and the house is up for sale too. May just have to go back to the UK and use the BC license as I will be a visitor only anyway soon enough!
Old Jul 11th 2010, 8:55 pm
Britnadian

hpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of light

I had been here a year and did my swap last week. I did have a work permit extension that was issued 12 days previously. I actually used my BC ID Card that was issued last year as my ID (passport was the other)

My interpretation of the rules is that you can only use your UK/International licence to drive for 90 days after arrival, but you can swap at any time, even after 90 days. I haven't driven at all over here.

When I swapped, I had my camera in my pocket and, in front of the lady processing my transfer, took a photo of the front and back of the photo card so I had all the details.

Temporary licence (yellow paper) was issued on the spot, physical licence turned up 8 days later. Full class 5 with no restrictions!

Very pleased, I actually didn't know that the change had gone through and went to ICBC to get my learner's licence! Quite a good suprise!
Old Jul 12th 2010, 7:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

jerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
arrived by post today a nice shiny new photocard licence with a motorbike entitlement.
Off now to the motorbike shop for some research.
cheers
Jerry
Old Jul 13th 2010, 10:31 pm
Forum Regular

The Esses will become famous soon enoughThe Esses will become famous soon enough

Is everyone getting asked questions?

Is it the same ones as previously posted?

Mr S

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.