Reload this Page >

Just Starting Out

Just Starting Out

Old Nov 11th 2003, 11:35 am
Forum Regular

NeilB is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Just Starting Out

Hi,

After 30 odd years in the UK my wife and I are planning the move to Canada. Quality of life and general lack of interest in the UK are the drivers.

So, forgive the obvious question but where do I start?

I’m currently in military IT and my wife works for DHL, what are the chances of being accepted into Canada and can anyone recommend a good job/housing agency?

Regards,

Neil and Danielle
Old Nov 11th 2003, 12:10 pm
Forum Regular

colin.helen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Just Starting Out

Neil and Danielle

Start here, which will help determine your eligibility.

http://www.cic.gc.ca./english/immigrate/index.html

Try this URL for housing:

http://www.mls.ca/mls/map.asp?gt=c&g...&T=RR&rType=HO^CO&RPM=0&RPX=99999999&RBEM=4&RBEX=5&RBAM=0&RBAX=5 0&RJOIN=AND&PV=10&map=1&sort=A

Good luck.
Colin

Originally posted by NeilB
Hi,

After 30 odd years in the UK my wife and I are planning the move to Canada. Quality of life and general lack of interest in the UK are the drivers.

So, forgive the obvious question but where do I start?

I’m currently in military IT and my wife works for DHL, what are the chances of being accepted into Canada and can anyone recommend a good job/housing agency?

Regards,

Neil and Danielle
Old Nov 11th 2003, 12:46 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Colin,

Thanks for the speedy reply and the URL’s

From a quick gander we both get 21 points from the NO Classification.

I’ll start the ball rolling with the paperwork.

Cheers,

Neil
Old Nov 11th 2003, 3:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of light
Talking

Hi Neil,

You are making the right decision, we moved here this year for the same reasons.

Words of advice-

Be careful where you move to, this website helped me a lot, avoid the old favourites 'Toronto' for example, I have spoken to lots of canadians who have moved to where I am, there are lots of jobs where I am, posted in windows, papers etc, apprently in the likes of Toronto, Calgary, Ontario this is rare.

Try to get a job before you come, even if its just one of you, I really struggled to find my first job(a menial one and I aint no thickie!)luckily my partner had a good one before we came, I have my second interview at a place today for an office job, fingers crossed!)

Be prepared to spend money when you first arrive, its never ending, if you want to buy a house you will find it a lot easier if you have a good wedge behind you, we had to put down $20,000 dollars plus towards the mortgage and the bank is holding another $8000 as security for 6months to a year!

Dont bring much with you, everything is cheaper, standard of living where I am is excellent, we are still in awe of how cheap it is, Britain is such a rip off!

Oh, before I start babbling, dont EVER travel back to UK at xmas, its really expensive, we wont be doing it again!

If you need any more info on where I am(its the best, 3 hours to the rockies, the largest mall in the world, hot summers, sun almost always shining...........I could go on!)dont hesitate to ask

Good Luck!
Pammy
Old Nov 11th 2003, 4:13 pm
Forum Regular

Excellent info, many thanks.

We are just starting out in this venture so any tips/pointers are greatly received.

By the time I sell up we will not necessarily have a great wedge spare (but still no debts )

I guess we will go down the rental route until I can establish a credit rating there.

As for location, yours sounds superb, I’ll see what the job market has to say.

Cheers,

Neil
Old Nov 11th 2003, 4:32 pm
Forum Regular

bobkhag5 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by NeilB
Excellent info, many thanks.

We are just starting out in this venture so any tips/pointers are greatly received.

By the time I sell up we will not necessarily have a great wedge spare (but still no debts )

I guess we will go down the rental route until I can establish a credit rating there.

As for location, yours sounds superb, I’ll see what the job market has to say.

Cheers,

Neil
Hi Neil

I am in the same boat, applied but applied under Skilled Worker Cat. I hope to land next year summer.

Have you visited Canada before?

Old Nov 11th 2003, 4:37 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

My top tip would be to stop thinking in Sterling. I don't mean the place!

Eventually your income will be in Canadian Dollars so you need to get used to that. Comparing is often a false economy and usually irrelevant as you won't be earning in pounds anymore.
Old Nov 11th 2003, 4:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Again,

We rented for our first 6 months with Midwest Property Management, the apprtment was fantastic, costs were $839 per month rent(this included parking & heating & water)the electricity bill was around $30 per month, I know a couple who rented throo the ads, the place looked nice enough but they had nothing but problems, oh, no-one takes cash over here, so first thing to do, open a bank account and get a cheque book!

Hey Sibsie, I cant help comparing, my dad bought a new camcorder in UK a couple months ago, it cost him 1100 pounds, the same model here was $899!
Its so cheap to eat out, my fiances mum & dad were really surprised, they thought we were exaggerating on the phone!
:scared:
Old Nov 11th 2003, 4:58 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like you had a great deal with the rent Pammy. My dad's from Edmonton, great place (though I'm moving to Toronto)

Would you generally recommend property management companies over private rental? I'm going to have to do the initial rental thing too.

As for thinking in pounds, I can't think past Euros at the moment but I did that a lot when I first moved to Spain.
Old Nov 11th 2003, 5:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

yep, I would def go with a company, we got almost all our deposit back, I know a couple who rented privately and got nothing back, we had a problem with our heating, the guy came 40 mins after I called, a girl I work with has nothing but problems with her heating which the landlord has still not fixed!

Apparently some landlords even fix the thermostats so you can only turn the heating up so high, our was tropical at all times!

Our rental company even offered to let us rent month to month while we looked for a house, most private rentals want at least another 6 months guaranteed, your rental company will give you a reference if you need one, handy when you know no-one here!
Old Nov 11th 2003, 5:16 pm
Forum Regular

SmilerJen is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi don't know if you can help,

We are thinking of moving from Ontario to Alberta, do you know of any work websites for the Edmonton area - and is it really cold in the winter?
The thought of living close to the rockies just blows our mind - we have been there once b4 and fell in love!!

thanks
Smiler

Originally posted by Pammy
Hi Neil,

You are making the right decision, we moved here this year for the same reasons.

Words of advice-

Be careful where you move to, this website helped me a lot, avoid the old favourites 'Toronto' for example, I have spoken to lots of canadians who have moved to where I am, there are lots of jobs where I am, posted in windows, papers etc, apprently in the likes of Toronto, Calgary, Ontario this is rare.

Try to get a job before you come, even if its just one of you, I really struggled to find my first job(a menial one and I aint no thickie!)luckily my partner had a good one before we came, I have my second interview at a place today for an office job, fingers crossed!)

Be prepared to spend money when you first arrive, its never ending, if you want to buy a house you will find it a lot easier if you have a good wedge behind you, we had to put down $20,000 dollars plus towards the mortgage and the bank is holding another $8000 as security for 6months to a year!

Dont bring much with you, everything is cheaper, standard of living where I am is excellent, we are still in awe of how cheap it is, Britain is such a rip off!

Oh, before I start babbling, dont EVER travel back to UK at xmas, its really expensive, we wont be doing it again!

If you need any more info on where I am(its the best, 3 hours to the rockies, the largest mall in the world, hot summers, sun almost always shining...........I could go on!)dont hesitate to ask

Good Luck!
Pammy
Old Nov 11th 2003, 5:20 pm
C.G.D.S

Pam what references did the rental company want? I've been a home owner for 15 years so I wouldn't have any references from previous landlords.

Also is it like the US where they do credit checks as I'd be coming in with a zero credit rating like we all do.
Old Nov 11th 2003, 5:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hi SmilerJen

Try the Edmonton Journal website, its the one I mostly use along with the human rescources one-

www.edmontonjournal.com & www.jobbank.gc.ca

Its not really that bad, you know what they say 'its a dry cold!', no honestly I am such a cold tattie, I cannot stand the cold so if I can survive it anyone can!

You can happily go outside in the snow and do things and because its a dry snow you dont get wet feet hence you dont feel the cold as much, only when it hits the -30 to -40 you do not want to venture out in it but that happens only a couple of times, I'm still walking dogs in my summer combats, the windchill at the moment is about -13 but its picking up again into the plus figures later in the week!

The mall is amazing, I love taking any visitors we have there for the first time just to see the looks on their faces!

The Rockies is amazing too isn't it, we fell in love with Jasper, I'd love to retire there, I have never seen scenery like it and all that wildlife too!

Whats your main reason for moving from Ontario if you dont mind me asking?
Old Nov 11th 2003, 5:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hi Sibsie,

They didn't ask for anything other than evidence of employment,earnings and savings she understood we knew no-one in Canada, another couple got a reference from their employer, I guess its just your luck with the agent, if its a quiet time of year they may make exceptions if they have plenty of vacancies, they didn't do a credit check on us but the bank did when we tried to open an account and they charged us for a second one when we applied for a mortgage!

The credit rating thing is a bugger, you have to start over again, my paychecks were held for a full week up until a month ago!
I now have an overdraft limit of wowee $100 at an astounding rate of 21%!:scared:
Old Nov 11th 2003, 5:38 pm
Forum Regular

SmilerJen is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Pammy,
thanks for the info, i will start looking.
answer to your question, we are currently living in Windsor, which is a border town and VERY FLAT!!!
It's not a bad place, but we love the outdoors, hiking, snowboarding, camping, just being outside and enjoying scenery as much as possible and I want to get back into Horseriding, and there really isn't any here!! - we are also looking at other places in Ontario, as I know there are some nice places, eg- near Algonquin Park, but it is just finding a good job.

Edmonton just seems to be a great place as it is a city (for Jobs) but the outdoor life is not that far away aswell, I was just worried about the cold as I really am a sun person, except when I am snowboarding.

thanks again,
Smiler

Originally posted by Pammy
Hi SmilerJen

Try the Edmonton Journal website, its the one I mostly use along with the human rescources one-

www.edmontonjournal.com & www.jobbank.gc.ca

Its not really that bad, you know what they say 'its a dry cold!', no honestly I am such a cold tattie, I cannot stand the cold so if I can survive it anyone can!

You can happily go outside in the snow and do things and because its a dry snow you dont get wet feet hence you dont feel the cold as much, only when it hits the -30 to -40 you do not want to venture out in it but that happens only a couple of times, I'm still walking dogs in my summer combats, the windchill at the moment is about -13 but its picking up again into the plus figures later in the week!

The mall is amazing, I love taking any visitors we have there for the first time just to see the looks on their faces!

The Rockies is amazing too isn't it, we fell in love with Jasper, I'd love to retire there, I have never seen scenery like it and all that wildlife too!

Whats your main reason for moving from Ontario if you dont mind me asking?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.