Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Just returned from canada and checked my Credit card

Just returned from canada and checked my Credit card

Old May 10th 2009, 10:42 pm
JLT
BE Enthusiast

Location: Sutton Coldfield UK until I return to Toronto 2009 or earlier!!
JLT has a brilliant futureJLT has a brilliant futureJLT has a brilliant futureJLT has a brilliant futureJLT has a brilliant futureJLT has a brilliant futureJLT has a brilliant futureJLT has a brilliant future
Default Re: Just returned from canada and checked my Credit card

Originally Posted by esha100
Just spent two weeks in canada and just checked my credit card bills. The pound is down to 1.73 canadian dolars which means a tommy medium with one donnut cost me 2.75 canadian or 1.58 U.k sterling. with the pound in free fall I dont think Canada is an attraction for me at the moment and I am just wishing the pound goes back to 2.30 it was when I went there last June 2008.
Good grief, you can't get just a decent coffee in the UK for £1.58, still seems a deal to me!?
Old May 10th 2009, 11:24 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tangram
Sorry mate, replied to the wrong post, was referring to Onthemake for the North Shore - especially having read the introduction on his website http://grahamhutchinson.point2agent.com/
My vote for Pseud's Corner for this week.
Old May 11th 2009, 5:23 am
BE Forum Addict

fuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tangram
Sorry mate, replied to the wrong post, was referring to Onthemake for the North Shore - especially having read the introduction on his website http://grahamhutchinson.point2agent.com/
But at least the ocean's warm
Old Jun 1st 2009, 1:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Ontheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud of

Those were the days.

Yes, Mid-October 2008 - Buy! Buy! Buy! I said - if only people had bought

http://www.ratesfx.com/cgi-bin/datav...=CAD&t=52&l=en

Last edited by Ontheboatout; Jun 1st 2009 at 2:23 am.
Old Jun 1st 2009, 2:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Ontheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by fuschiagirl
But at least the ocean's warm

Yes. 77F sea water - that's why we don't get any fog on the North Shore

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northum...er_temperature

Even Tiger Woods is stopping by

http://www.torontogolfnuts.com/showthread.php?p=405538
Old Jun 1st 2009, 7:20 am
BE Enthusiast

dexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Ontheboatout
Those were the days.

Yes, Mid-October 2008 - Buy! Buy! Buy! I said - if only people had bought

http://www.ratesfx.com/cgi-bin/datav...=CAD&t=52&l=en
If they had they could have said bye bye bye to their money at the same time!!!
Old Jun 1st 2009, 1:38 pm

Miss Clinique is an unknown quantity at this point

Just spent two weeks in canada and just checked my credit card bills. The pound is down to 1.73 canadian dolars which means a tommy medium with one donnut cost me 2.75 canadian or 1.58 U.k sterling. with the pound in free fall I dont think Canada is an attraction for me at the moment and I am just wishing the pound goes back to 2.30 it was when I went there last June 2008.
Do you think thats expensive?

One coffee with a donut £1.58 where can you get it for that money in UK? unless in the 2 weeks since I leftthere has been hugh price reductions.
Old Jun 1st 2009, 4:23 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

It doesn't really matter what the exchange rate is when comparing buying a Timmies. If it went back to C$2.30 to the £ the price of a coffee and donut would still be the same price in each country, because prices aren't affected by the exchange rate.

I prefer to consider the cost as a percentage of the minimum wage rate, ie: coffee and donut in Timmies is C$2.75, or 17.36 minutes work at Ontario's minimum wage rate of $9.50/hr.

Can someone in the UK post a similar comparison please?
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 8:40 pm
Forum Regular

cargomatic is just really nicecargomatic is just really nicecargomatic is just really nicecargomatic is just really nicecargomatic is just really nicecargomatic is just really nicecargomatic is just really nicecargomatic is just really nice

Originally Posted by CaptainHook
It doesn't really matter what the exchange rate is when comparing buying a Timmies. If it went back to C$2.30 to the £ the price of a coffee and donut would still be the same price in each country, because prices aren't affected by the exchange rate.

I prefer to consider the cost as a percentage of the minimum wage rate, ie: coffee and donut in Timmies is C$2.75, or 17.36 minutes work at Ontario's minimum wage rate of $9.50/hr.

Can someone in the UK post a similar comparison please?
Been a truck driver I get coffee & donut at service stations which would cost about £3.50 (well expensive) but that would mean you would have to work for 35 minutes at UK minimum wage rate to pay for them, so really UK is twice as expensive no wonder im moving over there.

That is a great way to compare, i will use that way from now on and see how better off i will be by moving to Canada
Old Jun 4th 2009, 1:12 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Why you would make an emmigration decision based on the attraction of the exchange rate is totally beyond me. Either Canada holds an attaction to you, or it doesnt. Its not about what you can buy when you get here, its about how you can live the rest of your life!
Old Jun 4th 2009, 4:44 pm
Forum Regular

cargomatic is just really nicecargomatic is just really nicecargomatic is just really nicecargomatic is just really nicecargomatic is just really nicecargomatic is just really nicecargomatic is just really nicecargomatic is just really nice

Originally Posted by iaink
Why you would make an emmigration decision based on the attraction of the exchange rate is totally beyond me. Either Canada holds an attaction to you, or it doesnt. Its not about what you can buy when you get here, its about how you can live the rest of your life!
I fully agree With this. Ok when you first go over and you convert your pound to doller. You will convert your money, just to see how much value you are getting for your money. But once you are working, there is no point converting all the time because you are spending what you have earned, not what you have exchanged. But at the end of the day. Its not the exchange rate that should influence you. If it does, you should stay where you are full stop. There is so much more to Canada than just the cost of living. So maybe Canada is not for you
Old Jun 4th 2009, 4:53 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by iaink
Ahem.

I may be in a minority here but I'd like nothing more than to see the loonie tank. And I mean tank.
Old Jun 4th 2009, 6:04 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Ahem.

I may be in a minority here but I'd like nothing more than to see the loonie tank. And I mean tank.
Only because that would give you more spending money in the UK and US.
Old Jun 4th 2009, 6:12 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CaptainHook
Only because that would give you more spending money in the UK and US.
Ermm, the loonie tanking would presumably make it more expensive to shop in the UK and the US? I suspect Souv. is interested in the Loonie falling against the pound (i.e. getting more CAD$ for your GBP) because he gets paid in GBP.

I'm happy for that to happen except for next summer when we plan a trip back to blighty. Parity between the GBP and the CAD at that point would be very nice thank you.
Old Jun 4th 2009, 6:28 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Ermm, the loonie tanking would presumably make it more expensive to shop in the UK and the US? I suspect Souv. is interested in the Loonie falling against the pound (i.e. getting more CAD$ for your GBP) because he gets paid in GBP.

I'm happy for that to happen except for next summer when we plan a trip back to blighty. Parity between the GBP and the CAD at that point would be very nice thank you.
Good point. Not sure why I got it wrong.