British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   just moved to Ottawa-where to go???? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/just-moved-ottawa-where-go-675938/)

ninaDGBCA Jul 9th 2010 6:23 pm

just moved to Ottawa-where to go????

Hi, my family and I just moved 2 months ago from England to Ottawa as my husband got a job with the city. I really like it here but do miss family and friends badly, so does my older daughter. I have 2 happy girls ( 2 years and 6 month old) but need some advice where to go, what to do and how to get some new contacts, friends and playmates.
Thanks

Cassie 10000 Jul 9th 2010 6:27 pm

Re: just moved-where to go????

Originally Posted by ninaDGBCA (Post 8689679)
Hi, my family and I just moved 2 months ago from England to Ottawa as my husband got a job with the city. I really like it here but do miss family and friends badly, so does my older daughter. I have 2 happy girls ( 2 years and 6 month old) but need some advice where to go, what to do and how to get some new contacts, friends and playmates.
Thanks

Regarding getting friends and contacts you need to start networking.

Do it where ever, husbands work, school, I used to talk to people in the bank when I first came over. That's how desperate I got :D

I did some networking on BE and I have three great friends I see all the time.

Arrange a meetup through here, not your house say at Timmies or something.

You have to make the moves, don't be shy and don't lock yourself in the house day in day out. Be confident.

iaink Jul 9th 2010 6:28 pm

Welcome to BE

Little kids help get you out and about, day care, nursery school, play dates, hanging out at the park etc.

Really for adult company with something in common its a good idea to join local groups for that interest, so you know what you are interested in. Google can find local groups, or the local library will have a register of local groups, then there is the option of evening classes in things that interest you.

Then there are the local "meetup" groups, not necessarily for expats, but for newcommers in general... never tried them myself, but I hear some good things can come of them.

Without a job (or school) to get you out and in a ready made network I can sympathise that it can be hard to meet people, but it does get easier,and maybe some of the local contributors to this forum can contact you for a coffee or something. Replacing lifelong friends and family is no mean feat, it takes effort and a lot of time. You have to put yourself out there as the locals wont necessarily be coming to your door looking to make new friends, they already know a bunch of people locally. Its not necessarily great to only know other expats as friends, but you have to start somewhere:)

Cassie 10000 Jul 9th 2010 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by Cassie 10000 (Post 8689682)
Regarding getting friends and contacts you need to start networking.

Do it where ever, husbands work, school, I used to talk to people in the bank when I first came over. That's how desperate I got :D

I did some networking on BE and I have three great friends I see all the time.

Arrange a meetup through here, not your house say at Timmies or something.

You have to make the moves, don't be shy and don't lock yourself in the house day in day out. Be confident.

PS When doing a thread title regarding meeting up with people say where you are.

Just moved, where to go is too big of a range, Canada is a very big place and not many people in your area might not even click on your thread :)

Good Luck and I hope you find some new friends because without them life can be quite hard! Been there way back when.

iaink Jul 9th 2010 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by Cassie 10000 (Post 8689687)
PS When doing a thread title regarding meeting up with people say where you are.

I can fix that;)

Cassie 10000 Jul 9th 2010 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by iaink (Post 8689695)
I can fix that;)

Wow, you good boy :thumbsup: <pats iaink on the head>

ninaDGBCA Jul 9th 2010 6:50 pm

Re: just moved to Ottawa-where to go????

thanks for that. this is my first thread.
yes i try the groups etc. just moved 2.5 years ago to uk as my husband is english (i am german) and found great friends and now all over again boo hoo ha ha i know i should not moan but get out.;)
will try the bank :)

TrishP Jul 9th 2010 8:05 pm

Re: just moved to Ottawa-where to go????

Originally Posted by ninaDGBCA (Post 8689679)
Thanks

Hello! Am also in Ottawa - sent you a PM