British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Just lost one of our cats to a coyote (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/just-lost-one-our-cats-coyote-486685/)

Solarfish Oct 11th 2007 4:44 pm

Just lost one of our cats to a coyote

Morning all,

Hate to put a downward slant on the day but we have just seen a coyote take one of our cats. I am heartbroken. I can't stop crying.

We had two cats, One wanted to go out thismorning so I opened the back door. The cats just sat in the doorway for ages. We don't normally let them out without us watching them. I went to the basement to get something and when I returned noticed that the cat wasn't sitting in the doorway.

When I called for her, a large coyote ran out of the trees with the cat held by the neck in her mouth. I screamed for my husband who chased the coyote for a long way. But to no avail.

There was no blood and the cat obviously hadn't a clue that the coyote was even there. The cats was definitely dead and I am hoping that it didn't suffer.

The worse thing is going to be telling our daughter when she comes home from school today. She will be devesated. I feel so guilty for opening the door for the cat.

We always knew that it was a risk bringing to Canada and also knew that we should not lock them up as they were always outdoor cats and I know that it is not the coyotes fault as it needs to eat, but it doesn't stop the hurt right now.

Sorry for the depressing thread but had to get it off my chest.

Alro

daft batty Oct 11th 2007 4:52 pm

Re: Just lost one of our cats to a coyote

Originally Posted by Solarfish (Post 5413578)
Morning all,

Hate to put a downward slant on the day but we have just seen a coyote take one of our cats. I am heartbroken. I can't stop crying.

We had two cats, One wanted to go out thismorning so I opened the back door. The cats just sat in the doorway for ages. We don't normally let them out without us watching them. I went to the basement to get something and when I returned noticed that the cat wasn't sitting in the doorway.

When I called for her, a large coyote ran out of the trees with the cat held by the neck in her mouth. I screamed for my husband who chased the coyote for a long way. But to no avail.

There was no blood and the cat obviously hadn't a clue that the coyote was even there. The cats was definitely dead and I am hoping that it didn't suffer.

The worse thing is going to be telling our daughter when she comes home from school today. She will be devesated. I feel so guilty for opening the door for the cat.

We always knew that it was a risk bringing to Canada and also knew that we should not lock them up as they were always outdoor cats and I know that it is not the coyotes fault as it needs to eat, but it doesn't stop the hurt right now.

Alro

How awful for you. I think you were right to let your cat out, so dont blame yourself at all. The alternative of keeping an outdoor car cooped up isnt right. Ours hates being indoors. When we first moved here we lived in the countryside with friends. Their cats, and ours, were allowed out during the day and back in at night. Whats alarming and unexpected is that the cat was taken during the day. Who would have thought the coyotes would come in so close to the house?

I do feel for you, we would be so upset if anything happened to our cat but like you we realised that the cat needed to be outside and so we let her out.

Karma sent

ann m Oct 11th 2007 5:08 pm

Ah - how awful.

My next door neighbour's gorgeous cat hasn't been seen since Sunday - and she fears much the same fate. She was so upset Sun/Mon - I really felt for her - but as she's not really sure what happened to him, it's all a bit up-in-the-air and she kinda hopes he'll just come trotting back ... which is possible I guess, could just be locked in a shed somewhere ...

Feel really bad for you - and to have witnessed your poor moggy being dragged off :(

How old is your daughter? Not that I necessarily advocate lying to her, but is it worth "Moggy seems to have gone missing" as opposed to "Moggy is definitely dead" ?? Only thing is that might fill her with hope - like my neighbour. Big hugs all round :(

terese677 Oct 11th 2007 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by Solarfish (Post 5413578)
Morning all,

Alro

So sorry to hear your news:(, it least it sounds like it was quick
Terese

gryphea Oct 11th 2007 5:19 pm

Oh Alro

How awful. I really feel for you - it must have been very traumatic. You poor thing.

I agree with Ann re the cat appears to be missing bit?

Hope she isn't too devasated. I didn't realise coyotes were quite so common or predatory in an urban fox style way.

Gryph

ladymoose Oct 11th 2007 5:37 pm

:( - awful for you!

We lost a pet rabbit to a fox in the UK just before we left - I didn't see it but heard it happen - nasty.

We told our son the truth - at the time he was nearly 5 - and he accepted it more easily than I did! We showed him how sad we felt about it, and allowed him that time too, but then pointed out that it is part of the cycle of life and death etc. He understood.

In Canada, nature is right on the doorstep, even more so than the UK (providing you don't live in an inner city of course) - so this will happen again and again (I don't just mean with cats though).

Even just in the 3 years we've been here we've seen 2 coyotes kill a deer in the yard, lost a cat to the cold (when he refused to come inside), had the neighbour's dog disappear only to find him later when the snow had gone (not sure what killed him but likely to be injury/attack rather than cold), seen numerous hawk and eagle attacks on small fluffies etc.

It's not easy by any means, and there have been tears, but we're slowly getting used to witnessing these things when they happen. :(

mandymoochops Oct 11th 2007 5:52 pm

Can't say how sorry I am enough - I lost my baby puddy cat to a big car (mind you he was deaf and bolted through the front door like a missile one morning) its just horrible because you feel responsible.

But I told my daughter who was five at the time what happened and she said "well at least he didn't hear it coming" straight from the mouths eh but I think the truth would be the best option.

Big hugs :(

purple80 Oct 11th 2007 5:56 pm

How awful Alro, can't imagine how you feel... Big hug coming you're way.
:wub:Charlie:wub:

Little D Oct 11th 2007 6:01 pm

I feel so sorry for you, and know exactly how you must be feeling. We brought our beautiful cat over when we moved here in June, and she loved it. Then on 30th August she went out one evening and never came back. I could hear the coyotes making a noise later that evening though. I cried for days.

Craftybanshee Oct 11th 2007 6:26 pm

I'm sorry Alro :( What a horrible thing to happen.

Member123 Oct 11th 2007 6:36 pm

Oh Alro, tht is horrible, even more so for you and your OH as you seen the coyote with your wee cat:(

It wasnt your fault but I know you will blame yourself..my first dog we got just before our wedding got knocked down outside my husbands house by a jeep. He screamed like a child in pain and I will never forget it...we had to get him put down. You just have to learn not to blame yourself.

All the best telling your daughter..I think tell her the truth too and explain about nature and the food chain...unless of course she is old enough to understand.

Hugs (((())))

startwin Oct 11th 2007 7:57 pm

Oh dear, that's horrible for you. The pain of losing a pet is bad enough, but especially to see it happen like that.

Unfortunately, it's nature. We have a lot of coyotes near to us. The cats in the neighbourhood seem to be pretty savvy, but one or two have gone missing over the past few years. Big hug to you.

Rob4BC Oct 11th 2007 8:09 pm

Oh Alro, I am heart broken for you!

We are taking our 2 outdoor cats with us this weekend.
I love them so dearly and have thought and debated so much as to whether we should take them or find homes for them, but I do so feel they are my resposibility for better or worse.

Do not beat yourself up, your cat would have been miserable being locked up.
My thoughts are with you and wish you courage to tell your little one.

Rob.

boxerdog03 Oct 11th 2007 8:12 pm

Soooo sorry for your loss, it must have been horrible. Try not to blame yourself, you was just doing what was best for your cat. Be honest with your young one, I'm sure you'll find it more traumatic than they will.

Sharon

Almost Canadian Oct 11th 2007 8:17 pm

Sounds like payback for all those birds/mice she probably killed in her lifetime