Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Just joined/Looking for advice/inspiration!

Just joined/Looking for advice/inspiration!

Old Jun 27th 2012, 8:30 pm
Just Joined

Rickdangerous is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Just joined/Looking for advice/inspiration!

Hi there...I am a 28 year old carpenter living in South West London..I have had been tempted by Canada for a good few years now and since breaking up with my girlfriend (literally nothing holding me back now!) i am even more tempted to make the jump...I am not deluded into thinking some fairy tale is waiting for me..I know emigration has its pitfalls but quite frankly i am bored of the uk, i am craving change and a am a canadian citizen! (my Mum is from Ottawa)

Basically just looking for some words of inspiration and encouragement!

Or the opposite if necessary!

Cheers!

Charlie
Old Jun 27th 2012, 8:44 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just joined/Looking for advice/inspiration!

Old Jun 27th 2012, 8:45 pm
Forum Regular

nerdherd is just really nicenerdherd is just really nicenerdherd is just really nicenerdherd is just really nicenerdherd is just really nicenerdherd is just really nicenerdherd is just really nicenerdherd is just really nicenerdherd is just really nice

If you are a Canadian citizen, grab your passport and just go there. As you say, nothing holding you back from giving it a go! Do you have relatives there at all? If so, that would make things even easier.

I am no expert but fairly sure that carpenters are in demand, although where exactly, not sure, and it may be in an area you may not want to end up in.

When you say you are bored with the uk, why is it exactly? How do you know if Canada won't also be boring? Nothing wrong with just fancying a change though!

The problem with starting a thread like this is that you will have such varying answers that it may not help you make up you mind

For me, I'd say go for it.

Good luck, whatever you decide.
Old Jun 27th 2012, 8:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

wardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond repute

i joined not long back fella with similar feelings, had an interview with an employer already starting my LMO for 2 year working visa. have a look on the jobs section on main page am pretty sure i have seen employers in canada wanting carpenters, with you already a citizen should not be more than a few months you could be over there working!

people on here are full of advice just try to search your queries before posting a thread. you have come to right place for the way forward!

good luck !
Old Jun 27th 2012, 8:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to behold

Hi Charlie and welcome to the forum.
A similar thing happened to me when I was 27. I had broken up with my girlfriend and I took the jump to Canada on a workpermit. Its one of the best things I have done.

Canada like anywhere else has its ups and downs. Do a bit of homework and go for it!
Old Jun 27th 2012, 8:53 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rickdangerous
Hi there...I am a 28 year old carpenter living in South West London..I have had been tempted by Canada for a good few years now and since breaking up with my girlfriend (literally nothing holding me back now!) i am even more tempted to make the jump...I am not deluded into thinking some fairy tale is waiting for me..I know emigration has its pitfalls but quite frankly i am bored of the uk, i am craving change and a am a canadian citizen! (my Mum is from Ottawa)

Basically just looking for some words of inspiration and encouragement!

Or the opposite if necessary!

Cheers!

Charlie
Welcome to the forum. Remember only you can make things happen for you. Follow your dreams and don't let others define your life. Also, you never want to ask yourself, 'what if?'. If you have or are planing to have children, there are some great opportunities here. Remember life is not a dress rehearsal. Go for it. And finally, no man on his deathbed wishes he'd shagged less women.
Old Jun 27th 2012, 8:56 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
If you have or are planing to have children.
I like what you did there
Old Jun 27th 2012, 9:02 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

And also, if you come over here. Try and embrace the local culture and new ideas, its your experience that matters. You don't want to be one of those whining Brits that moans about everything here being shit and that everything back in the UK was better.
Old Jun 27th 2012, 9:18 pm
Just Joined

Rickdangerous is an unknown quantity at this point

Ha ha! Excellent..Some sound advice on here...I suppose its not so much bored of the UK but slightly bored of my lifestyle here...I pay an extortionate amount of rent for a tiny one bedroom flat, i commute every day into central London, which again costs a fortune...Work here isnt rife and i am constantly chasing it...The majority of my friends have settled down and i barely see them..I love the great outdoors but rarely get to experience it

I have a long list of issues with the UK but dont want to sound to negative!

Thankyou for your wise words..I am 99% sure i am going to go for it!
Old Jun 28th 2012, 12:21 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

If you are looking to where Carpenters are in demand, the "Work in Canada" tool will give you some ideas. I have a friend of the family staying from the UK at the moment and he is off to BC or Alberta shortly (on a working holiday visa) to work as a carpenter - apparently there is a shortage out West.

Bear in mind there are several different types of carpenter here - anything from 'framer' to 'finishing' - so try different job titles.

Good luck and if I was you I would just go for it.

Old Jun 28th 2012, 2:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the forum. Remember only you can make things happen for you. Follow your dreams and don't let others define your life. Also, you never want to ask yourself, 'what if?'. If you have or are planing to have children, there are some great opportunities here. Remember life is not a dress rehearsal. Go for it. And finally, no man on his deathbed wishes he'd shagged less women.
+1

And also, if you come over here. Try and embrace the local culture and new ideas, its your experience that matters. You don't want to be one of those whining Brits that moans about everything here being shit and that everything back in the UK was better.
+1

Jeez! Are you ill? Or has someone hijacked your BE ID?

Very impressive!
Old Jun 28th 2012, 4:25 am
BE Enthusiast

leith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond repute

So what's the alternative? Sit around looking at pictures of Canada on your computer and wait until you're too old, too afraid, too burdened with dependents or too cluttered with possessions to move? Nothing is forever. Canada is a huge place. Travel light. See it all and LIVE. Living is an art -GOYA (get off your ass).
Old Jun 28th 2012, 6:22 am
Forum Regular

reeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud of

Hey,

My Dad is in the construction industry in Ontario. He told me the other day Carpenters are always being looked for in TO. Cabinet makers and such.

You are young ...you are Free (no kids) ---- LIVE life - go, experience, enjoy!!

All the best

reeni
Old Jun 28th 2012, 10:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Tony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to behold

+!
Old Jun 28th 2012, 10:34 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
+1

+1

Jeez! Are you ill? Or has someone hijacked your BE ID?

Very impressive!
+ 1 - I wondered a bit about that too...Oink you've made me go all warm and fuzzy!

Last edited by MillieF; Jun 28th 2012 at 10:35 am. Reason: Typo

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.