British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Just go laid off for no reason (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/just-go-laid-off-no-reason-918426/)

Instantpot Oct 18th 2018 1:08 am

Just go laid off for no reason

Hi All,
Just returned to work after a week off which was approved by my manager. As soon as I walked into the office I was called for a meeting and sacked on the spot. When I asked why, I was told there was a restructure which I don't believe. I asked if it was performance related and was told that it wasn't. I also asked if any other person was affected by the restructuring but didn't really get an answer. I have to say that I was shocked beyond belief. It took me 4 months to get this junior accounting job doing mostly invoices and I was determined to make the best of it. Not sure what to do now or where to look for the next role as I have been applying to various places in Calgary before this sacking.
please if you know anyone recruiting in Calgary or Edmonton or in Ontario (preferably ottawa) let me know. I also have CPA licence. For the first time am considering going back to UK as I get more calls or emails about jobs in UK than Canada.
Any thoughts are welcomed.

sorry for the long post.

Siouxie Oct 18th 2018 1:57 am

Re: Just go laid off for no reason

Originally Posted by Instantpot (Post 12579263)
Hi All,
Just returned to work after a week off which was approved by my manager. As soon as I walked into the office I was called for a meeting and sacked on the spot. When I asked why, I was told there was a restructure which I don't believe. I asked if it was performance related and was told that it wasn't. I also asked if any other person was affected by the restructuring but didn't really get an answer. I have to say that I was shocked beyond belief. It took me 4 months to get this junior accounting job doing mostly invoices and I was determined to make the best of it. Not sure what to do now or where to look for the next role as I have been applying to various places in Calgary before this sacking.
please if you know anyone recruiting in Calgary or Edmonton or in Ontario (preferably ottawa) let me know. I also have CPA licence. For the first time am considering going back to UK as I get more calls or emails about jobs in UK than Canada.

sorry for the long post.

So sorry to hear that - it must have been a blow :(

You weren't sacked, you were laid off (terminology is everything) due to restructuring. It happens and last in first out mentality, unfortunately. The attitude to people taking time off here is VERY different to Europe as well but all you can do is believe what they have said.. and move on.

Additionally, there's normally a 3 month 'probationary' period during which you can be let go without any reason. Horrible I know :( https://www.alberta.ca/employment-standards.aspx
"if the period of employment is 90 days or less, no notice is required from either party"

As you got laid off you might be able to obtain EI or get help finding another job. https://www.alberta.ca/employment-support.aspx / https://www.canada.ca/en/services/be...it-amount.html

When you say CPA license, have you got your Provincial Certification/Registration as well? If you can get that you will likely find it easier to find another job.
https://www.cpacanada.ca/en/the-cpa-...ounting-bodies

There's a few jobs out there but you are going to have to go looking - nobody is going to come to you as you're an unknown quantity - use what ever contacts you have to network! Do look outside of your normal career too, sideways or even backwards steps are often the way to get established and get that all important 'Canadian Experience' :)
Here's links to CPA jobs throughout Canada:
https://www.jobbank.gc.ca/marketreport/jobs/131/ca

:)
Good luck - don't give up yet! :fingerscrossed:

spouse of scouse Oct 18th 2018 1:57 am

Hi All,

sorry for the long post.

Sorry to hear this. Have you checked that your employer has complied with relevant legislation in dismissing you in the manner they have? This link may assist Termination of the employment of an employee | Keeping the Right People | HR Toolkit | hrcouncil.ca

Instantpot Oct 18th 2018 2:30 am

Originally Posted by Siouxie (Post 12579273)
So sorry to hear that - it must have been a blow :(

You weren't sacked, you were laid off (terminology is everything) due to restructuring. It happens and last in first out mentality, unfortunately. The attitude to people taking time off here is VERY different to Europe as well but all you can do is believe what they have said.. and move on.

Additionally, there's normally a 3 month 'probationary' period during which you can be let go without any reason. Horrible I know :( https://www.alberta.ca/employment-standards.aspx
"if the period of employment is 90 days or less, no notice is required from either party"

When you say CPA license, have you got your Provincial Certification/Registration as well? If you can get that you will likely find it easier to find another job.
https://www.cpacanada.ca/en/the-cpa-...ounting-bodies

There's a few jobs out there but you are going to have to go looking - nobody is going to come to you as you're an unknown quantity - use what ever contacts you have to network! Do look outside of your normal career too, sideways or even backwards steps are often the way to get established and get that all important 'Canadian Experience' :)
Here's links to CPA jobs throughout Canada:
https://www.jobbank.gc.ca/marketreport/jobs/131/ca

Good luck - don't give up yet! :fingerscrossed:

thanks alot. I am registered with Alberta CPA. They processed my ACCA to CPA conversion. I will keep searching until I get something. Although not sure how long I can stay out of work without feeling it financially.

Instantpot Oct 18th 2018 2:33 am

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 12579274)
Sorry to hear this. Have you checked that your employer has complied with relevant legislation in dismissing you in the manner they have? This link may assist Termination of the employment of an employee Keeping the Right People HR Toolkit hrcouncil.ca

thanks. I have checked a few links on Government of Alberta and it seem that there's nothing I can do but move on.

Siouxie Oct 18th 2018 2:43 am

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 12579274)
Sorry to hear this. Have you checked that your employer has complied with relevant legislation in dismissing you in the manner they have? This link may assist Termination of the employment of an employee | Keeping the Right People | HR Toolkit | hrcouncil.ca

Each Province has different employment laws... it's not a Canada wide thing.

Siouxie Oct 18th 2018 3:12 am

Originally Posted by Instantpot (Post 12579277)
thanks alot. I am registered with Alberta CPA. They processed my ACCA to CPA conversion. I will keep searching until I get something. Although not sure how long I can stay out of work without feeling it financially.

That's good to hear - well done! Do bear in mind that if you look for a job in Ontario you'll need your Ontario certification as well (although that should be easier to obtain now you have your Alberta Registration). Hopefully you'll be able to find something close by to save you having to do so or move, at the moment.

Do look at the help you may be able to get from EI etc., not sure if you will have enough insurable hours to claim but worth checking. Postal Code Search

I know that this will be completely outside of your normal employment, but in the interim - whilst you are looking for a new position - perhaps consider getting your Proserve Certificate and if things start to get a little tight financially, have a look at a bar / restaurant bartender job as a temporary fix. The wages may not be huge but if you find the right location (especially with a Brit accent) the tips can be phenomenal - friends of my son regularly pull $100-$250 a night on weekends both at an upmarket 'steakhouse chain and at a 'fine dining' independent bar and restaurant /gastropub

https://proserve.aglc.ca/Index.aspx?tabid=13&sc=ASIPOL
There's usually lots of jobs going in that industry and you don't necessarily need experience.
Best of luck and hang in there :)

Instantpot Oct 18th 2018 3:32 am

Originally Posted by Siouxie (Post 12579284)
That's good to hear - well done! Do bear in mind that if you look for a job in Ontario you'll need your Ontario certification as well (although that should be easier to obtain now you have your Alberta Registration). Hopefully you'll be able to find something close by to save you having to do so or move, at the moment.

Do look at the help you may be able to get from EI etc., not sure if you will have enough insurable hours to claim but worth checking. Postal Code Search

I know that this will be completely outside of your normal employment, but in the interim - whilst you are looking for a new position - perhaps consider getting your Proserve Certificate and if things start to get a little tight financially, have a look at a bar / restaurant bartender job as a temporary fix. The wages may not be huge but if you find the right location (especially with a Brit accent) the tips can be phenomenal - friends of my son regularly pull $100-$250 a night on weekends both at an upmarket 'steakhouse chain and at a 'fine dining' independent bar and restaurant /gastropub

https://proserve.aglc.ca/Index.aspx?tabid=13&sc=ASIPOL

There's usually lots of jobs going in that industry and you don't necessarily need experience.
Best of luck and hang in there :)

Thanks Siouxie. I will certainly hang in there.

spouse of scouse Oct 18th 2018 4:31 am

Originally Posted by Siouxie (Post 12579280)
Each Province has different employment laws... it's not a Canada wide thing.

Yep, I checked that before I posted the link, it has the relevant legislation for each province.

Howefamily Oct 18th 2018 9:27 am

how about you hunt down your nearest accounting recruiter and make an appointment. They may well have some temporary or contract roles available now. They will also be a great contact for your network.
As low as you may feel right now please hear the advice on here that you were laid off, not fired. Accept the reasons the company gave, regardless of how raw it feels, and give those reasons as to why you are looking for your next opportunity.
Get your linked in profile looking good and start building your network.
it will get better. If you would like to connect on linked in please send me a pm. I am a CPA in NS but have contacts outside the province.
keep smiling - you have got this!

Shakyuk Oct 18th 2018 1:48 pm

RBC have been recruiting heavily in Calgary in recent months, I know a few accountants from various countries who have had interviews (all of them recent immigrants).

beckiwoo Oct 18th 2018 3:05 pm

Sorry to hear that.

its unfortunate but a lot of companies do it.

it happened to me 18 months ago, whereby after working for the company for 2 years, a new manager came in, didn’t like me and within two weeks I was terminated because I was not ‘not a good fit for the department’

as said above if its within 3 months from you starting (probation) then they can let go but check your next employment contract because my previous one had a section that they can let you go at any time with just cause.

You will probably find something bigger and better - I know I did and my place is unionized as well

Siouxie Oct 18th 2018 3:43 pm

This website may be of use to you - there are a lot of agencies for Accountancy / CPA work for Calgary - with links to jobs they have. http://www.recruiterwebsites.com/cgi...zdb-search.cgi

Regarding the 'Just Cause' part of beckiwoo's excellent post, that isn't a contractual foible, it's standard pretty much across Canada that you can be let go 'for Just Cause' at anytime - it's used mainly for things like Gross Misconduct - i.e. Insubordination, Theft, Intoxication in the workplace, Sexual Harassment, Misrepresentation, Fraud, Violence in the workplace and the like. :)

As mentioned above, don't say to anyone (not even mates.. word gets spread) that you were fired - you were NOT fired. You were laid off.. (it would be 'made redundant' in the UK) due to reorganisation. Keep that firmly embedded in your head.. :D

Keeping everything crossed for you - onwards and upwards! :fingerscrossed:

JamesM Oct 18th 2018 6:54 pm

Hi All,

sorry for the long post.

Welcome to Canada. It's quite common here so don't take it personally.

I've experienced this a few times. If you have been there longer than a year it can be quite lucrative if you involve a lawyer. Unfortunately if it's in the first year it is a sucky experience.

You sound skilled so you will bounce back. The job market is pumping at the moment in Toronto and salaries are on the rise.

scrubbedexpat091 Oct 18th 2018 7:37 pm

Restructuring as companies call it is not exactly unusual, I know someone who is getting laid off next month due to a management change and new management bringing in their own people.

Review what Alberta requires for termination and make sure your employer follows the rules.

https://www.alberta.ca/termination-pay.aspx