Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Just discovered site

Just discovered site

Old Jul 6th 2007, 3:55 pm
Happy in Canada.

Grah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just discovered site

Originally Posted by Notiaink...honest
Not really, but the premiership is well covered, and there is a daily 30 min summary highlite show on "The Score" that covers cricket and rugby to some extent, as well as covering the top european soccer leagues, and even the scottish league.

Hockey is king here, and when its not hockey season baseball takes up huge numbers of telly hours. But its a great big country and life is too short to spend all but saturday morning stuck in front of the idiot latern.
Depends on your time zone - Saturday & Sunday Mornings 8 till 12 are great times to veg out during the winter.

There are many channels that show Tennis and there are some speciality channels and Fox sportworld does sky sports at night news program.

Next Fall the Football is supposed to move to the Score channel so get use to the Ticker at the bottom of the screen again.
Old Jul 6th 2007, 8:30 pm
Banned

Howard1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud of

I must admit that on some of our recent visits to the UK the decline of Traditional Pubs is most noticeable.

We noticed that in some of the smaller communities they still exist, but in Urban centres, they are more like Sports Bars serving US style food, like hamburgers and fries.

Canadians put Vinegar on their fries, Americans don't.
Old Jul 7th 2007, 6:14 pm
Forum Regular

Ant_Barber is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Notiaink...honest
You do get more house for your money, but often they are not as solidly constructed as a UK house, and they are viewed more as a place to live than an investment in most cases. There also seems to be more maintainence, new roofs every 10 or 20 years, that kind of thing.

There are many "cost of living" threads if you search the archive. We have 2 small kids and two (paid for) cars, so I guess we are in a similar situation. Our income from my job is in the mid $60ks, and frankly after the mortgage and all the bills are paid there is not a whole lot left. My wife stays at home with the kids, which we think is good for them, but its just as well as with no family to help out, childcare expenses would suck up most of anything she earned if she worked too anyway. Its essential to start saving early on for college and retirement funds, so I suppose without that sort of sensible thinking we would have more money for frivolous stuff. Car insurance is a major shock for newcomers, it can easily be thousands a year, regardles of how good your UK record is.

Vacation time is an issue for many. Standard holiday entitlement starts at two weeks, or three if you are lucky.

But having said all that I really like it here, consider it home and have no plans to ever return to the UK if it can be avoided. Its a very kid friendly place to, but there is not much in the way of what you would recognise as pubs.

Premiership is no problem, three games (live and time shifted) on the main sports chanel "Sportsnet" every Saturday morning, and more elsewhere if you are addicted. Keanos done really well, it will be intersting to see how they do in the Prem.
Thanks a lot mate. Yes you are pretty much in the same boat by the sounds of it. That gives me a decent idea, I appreciate it. I'll be in touch again if thats ok, but thats enough to go on for the time being.
Other than where abouts are you located. We are looking in the southern Ontario region. ?
Old Jul 8th 2007, 10:18 pm

Member123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ant_Barber
Cheers mate, you seem like you're the only moderately normal one that has replied!I realise that we're still a couple of years away from joining you over there but theres a few figures we need to bash about to make sure that the hole thing is worth while doing. We had a look at a few houses and theres no denying that you get more for your money, but after paying the mortgage whats the other costs like if you don't mind me asking? We'll be a family of 4 by then and there'll only be myself working so i would imagine it would be pretty tight. We would be running 2 regular sized cars. I understand its a bit personal what i'm asking but it would certainly help in figuring the whole thing out. The last thing i want to happen is to uproot the family and find we are living on a shoe string!

P.S. Can you get the premiership over there, since Keano and Quinn has dragged us back to the top flight?
After being on BE there are no moderately normal posters as you will discover yourself.

I've been to Port Hope, Hampton, Belleville, Kingston areas and thought they were quite nice. Also Port Perry is good. These are only a very very few and Ontario has lots of lovely areas. Ottawa gets a very good report by a few on this site. Look out for PaulCall who has just moved there and he loves it.
All the best in the search. We are going to Saskatchewan so cant help any more than that.
Old Jul 9th 2007, 12:58 pm
Canadiain

Notiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Ant_Barber
Thanks a lot mate. Yes you are pretty much in the same boat by the sounds of it. That gives me a decent idea, I appreciate it. I'll be in touch again if thats ok, but thats enough to go on for the time being.
Other than where abouts are you located. We are looking in the southern Ontario region. ?

I live near the small hamlet of Stirling, and work in Belleville. A couple of hours east of Toronto along the lake.