Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Just carrying on!! - Warning Long post :)

Just carrying on!! - Warning Long post :)

Old Mar 17th 2014, 3:24 am
Just Joined

yogiBC is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Just carrying on!! - Warning Long post :)

guys be clear that qualifications gained in the UK mean nothing here....
i am in the trades sector and came with many qualifications,,finding work in Vancouver was very hard ,,my first job the only one i could get was paying $14 an hour ,,,,, i had kids with less knowledge telling me what to do,,,,,i soon climbed the ladder and got into the $26 dollar bracket..
i learned that the way canadians do there resume is very different to ours and alot of jobs are ringfenced around one person.
It took me 2 years to get to a job that suited my skills and finally reaching the pay level for my skills..
Old Mar 17th 2014, 3:38 am
Forum Regular

Nelson1805 is just really niceNelson1805 is just really niceNelson1805 is just really niceNelson1805 is just really niceNelson1805 is just really niceNelson1805 is just really niceNelson1805 is just really niceNelson1805 is just really niceNelson1805 is just really niceNelson1805 is just really niceNelson1805 is just really nice

Originally Posted by yogiBC
guys be clear that qualifications gained in the UK mean nothing here....
i am in the trades sector and came with many qualifications,,finding work in Vancouver was very hard ,,my first job the only one i could get was paying $14 an hour ,,,,, i had kids with less knowledge telling me what to do,,,,,i soon climbed the ladder and got into the $26 dollar bracket..
i learned that the way canadians do there resume is very different to ours and alot of jobs are ringfenced around one person.
It took me 2 years to get to a job that suited my skills and finally reaching the pay level for my skills..
Working in IT can annoy the hell out of me sometimes, but it's biggest advantage is that it's a pretty generic industry, skills gained in the UK can be used in the same manner as Canada as they are implemented in the same way. Microsoft certifications are all the same, if you have it you have it, doesn't matter where you got it as the skills are the same across the board.

Having said that, I still want to become a writer as a preferred method of spending my time, shall see how the novel turns out
Old Mar 17th 2014, 4:19 pm
Account Closed

lookingtogo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Nelson1805
Saving aside money first before I can comfortably move across. Ideally I want to go with an offer in place but I want money set aside first.
Have you thought of doing recce trip? I think the Canadian guys like to see you in person although of course exceptions will happen. If money is an issue, then sure use Skype (terrible reception sometimes but it's cheap and get on the phone to more recruiters maybe)

The non LMO hurdle is a big factor imho, it saves the employers the hassle of the LMO process so I think it's a positive.

Good luck with the anticipated move, and the novel
Old Mar 17th 2014, 5:27 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nelson1805
Saving aside money first before I can comfortably move across. Ideally I want to go with an offer in place but I want money set aside first.
if you wait until the sun is in conjunction with venus and all the stars are alligned then you will still be in Aberdeen in 5 years time.
Old Mar 17th 2014, 8:24 pm
Recruiter Extraordinaire

Tigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond repute

I was in a similar situation to you, had citizenship but ideally needed a job before I moved out. So I planned a recce trip, sent my resume to as many companies as I could (whether they had jobs posted or not) being very clear in my cover letter that I had citizenship and the dates I would be in Vancouver to interview.

I ended up with about four interviews and a job offer at the end of my trip, I would say that you need to be prepared to move out quickly when you do find a job, as here you only need to give two weeks notice to move positions so employers are not used to the one month notice we give in England