Reload this Page >

Just bought a canoe

Wikiposts

Just bought a canoe

Old Aug 2nd 2004, 9:30 am
Forum Regular

prodigyking will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by willmore
Such a typical "male sexist" remark - obviously you've never been with an "irish girl"!!!! for both "temper and when they "arrive"!!!!!!

Obviously, we're getting a little "off topic" in more ways than one............
LOL I have been lucky enough to be with an Irish girl whose last name was Hennesy, and her parents owned a pub, in some God forsaken village. She ran track for the university, and had a killer (literally) body! She was very laid back though, no stereotypical temper on that one!!!
Old Aug 2nd 2004, 10:12 am
Yorkshire meets Vegas

Pretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond repute

I'm an Irish Catholic, and I definately don't have a wild temper, except when people come up with the typical national stereotypes.
Old Aug 2nd 2004, 10:17 am
Forum Regular

prodigyking will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by Sarah Farrand
I'm an Irish Catholic, and I definately don't have a wild temper, except when people come up with the typical national stereotypes.
Yum-yum ... (just kidding!)
Old Aug 2nd 2004, 10:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Originally posted by prodigyking
Yum-yum ... (just kidding!)
Well, I'm Irish/Polish Catholic and I have the stereotype "wild irish temper". On the other hand, my husband who is "pure irish" is as patience/calm as the day is long. My parents keep claiming that it must be "other side of the family's fault that I have this temper!!!!

My little girl (2) is exactly the same as mom and yet my little guy (4) is as calm as his dad.....so your never know!!!!!
Old Aug 4th 2004, 10:24 am
Account Closed

Sean Boxer is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by prodigyking
LOL I have been lucky enough to be with an Irish girl whose last name was Hennesy, and her parents owned a pub, in some God forsaken village. She ran track for the university, and had a killer (literally) body! She was very laid back though, no stereotypical temper on that one!!!
In case anyone is interested in my canoe . . . it's still in the shop. We couldn't fit it on top of the car, we were trying to use those polestyrene blocks but they kept slipping off.

Anyway, I can't believe the price of those roof racks - 280 bucks!!!! What's all that about? They're only metal bars.

I'm trying to whittle some out of some two by fours (Not two fours).
Old Aug 4th 2004, 10:32 am
squarepants

Like the last sentence, obviously into the canadian humour already Are you trying to tell me you couldn't get a canoe on the subaru outback, as long as it is?

I 'll say shop around for the rack, and also for the bicycle that attches to the back, I hate seeing bikes on top of cars, it just seems dangerous, like its going to fall off on the highway.

How are you enjoying Montreal by the way?

Originally posted by Sean Boxer
In case anyone is interested in my canoe . . . it's still in the shop. We couldn't fit it on top of the car, we were trying to use those polestyrene blocks but they kept slipping off.

Anyway, I can't believe the price of those roof racks - 280 bucks!!!! What's all that about? They're only metal bars.

I'm trying to whittle some out of some two by fours (Not two fours).

Old Aug 4th 2004, 11:05 am
Account Closed

Originally posted by squarepants
Like the last sentence, obviously into the canadian humour already Are you trying to tell me you couldn't get a canoe on the subaru outback, as long as it is?

I 'll say shop around for the rack, and also for the bicycle that attches to the back, I hate seeing bikes on top of cars, it just seems dangerous, like its going to fall off on the highway.

How are you enjoying Montreal by the way?
That's right - couldn't fit it on an Outback although it was because of the 36" width, not the 15' length.

I've got to say though that I find it really tough paying over a hundred pounds for two metal poles!

The manufacturers obviously feel they can get away with this kind of pricing as canoe/ski/bike racks are a 'lifestyle accessory' and if we can afford skis we can afford 'hundred pound metal poles'.

I guess I should say that I'll probably only need to use them once to get the canoe up to the cottage - that makes a difference doesn't it? maybe I should have mentioned that first.

Seriously, if you feel bikes on the roofs of cars unsafe, you should make sure you're nowhere between Ottawa and Wakefield on the 15th of this month as that's the closing date of our house purchase, my whittling will be done and the canoe goes on the roof.

I'll drive slow.
Old Aug 4th 2004, 1:27 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Some stores (Canadian Tire, Home Depot?) will lend you a roof rack, might be worth looking into, but it may not be compatible? Reason Sube racks are so expensive is the frameless windows, which makes life a little more difficult.

Do you know someone with a full size pick up? Just strap it in the back and take it to the cottage, otherwise probably cheaper to rent an F150 for the day than to buy a rack you use once. Ive seen some kind of inflatable thing as well you put on the roof, dont know what they cost though.

FWIW Roof mount bike racks are perfectly safe, and dont cover your break lights like the trunk or hitch mount ones.

Last edited by iaink; Aug 4th 2004 at 1:29 pm.
Old Sep 21st 2004, 2:18 pm
Account Closed

Default Re: Just bought a canoe

Hi all

Just in case anyone is at all interested, I got my canoe to the new house using two bits of wood on top of the car.

There are some photos of my canoe, car, house, kitchen, view, wife, at:-
http://britishexpats.com/photopost/s....php?photo=538

by the way, it's not my steam train.
Old Sep 21st 2004, 4:13 pm
Forum Regular

Taffia will become famous soon enough
Wink Re: Just bought a canoe

All females have tempers. French-Canadians too. I know------ I was married to one.
Old Sep 21st 2004, 9:18 pm
Once bemused

Rhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really nice

My brother's married to a French-Canadian, too. She's lovely, but she certainly has a temper more ferocious than any I have known.

Another essential buy for those wishing to become Canadian citizens has to be one of those travel cups for carrying coffee in the car or whilst walking.
Old Sep 21st 2004, 10:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Sean Boxer
Hi all

Just in case anyone is at all interested, I got my canoe to the new house using two bits of wood on top of the car.

There are some photos of my canoe, car, house, kitchen, view, wife, at:-
http://britishexpats.com/photopost/s....php?photo=538

by the way, it's not my steam train.
Your pictures are lovely.... What a beautiful view of the water you have from your living room. Have you had your little one yet?
Old Sep 21st 2004, 11:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Rhodes
My brother's married to a French-Canadian, too. She's lovely, but she certainly has a temper more ferocious than any I have known.

Another essential buy for those wishing to become Canadian citizens has to be one of those travel cups for carrying coffee in the car or whilst walking.
Gee, and I thought I was the only woman you knew with a "ferocious temper".....i'm deeply hurt........
Old Sep 21st 2004, 11:03 pm
Once bemused

Rhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really nice

Originally Posted by willmore
Gee, and I thought I was the only woman you knew with a "ferocious temper".....i'm deeply hurt........
You're the most ferocious I know electronically.

In response to DanMarsden's message, can one take canoes to the island? It'd be difficult on the ferry, but I suppose it might be possible to row over...
Old Sep 22nd 2004, 3:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Talking Re: Just bought a canoe

Originally Posted by Rhodes
You're the most ferocious I know electronically.

In response to DanMarsden's message, can one take canoes to the island? It'd be difficult on the ferry, but I suppose it might be possible to row over...
Well, as long as I'm still ferocios.....have to maintain my reputation don't you know!!!!........

I'm really sorry but I can't help with the canoe question......if you can endure it......you might want to ask him and hope and pray that he just answers your question and that's all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.