Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Just back from Van!

Wikiposts

Just back from Van!

Old Dec 15th 2005, 2:24 am
BE Enthusiast

stuartm is just really nicestuartm is just really nicestuartm is just really nicestuartm is just really nicestuartm is just really nicestuartm is just really nicestuartm is just really nicestuartm is just really nicestuartm is just really nicestuartm is just really nicestuartm is just really nice
Default Just back from Van!

Hi all,

Just got back from Vancouver having been there for the last 2 1/2 weeks - god i love that place! I was there last year in summer, and weve just been back a second time for a holiday and to consider the whole emigration issue

Its so depressing being back - on Monday i was grabbbing lunch on Granville island, reading the Province and chilling out on Beatty St. Now im back to stinking streets, hordes of no-hoper chaves adorning my local street corner, litter and generally just the depressing UK

I am pretty much ready to go , but my wife says she will decide in the new year if she wants to go for it. We are both 32 and i figure that heading out there in our mid-30's for a couple of years to try and make it work is a risk worth taking. If it doesnt work it we are young enough to start again.

What do you all think, should we go for it? Should i try and convince my wife? Its such a hard situation and its no wonder there are so many people on this forum with similar dilemma's.

Can i just say how cool and friendly the Vancouverites are - really welcoming, cheery and laid back - the city is obviously good for you !

Regards, Stu
Old Dec 15th 2005, 2:27 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just back from Van!

Originally Posted by stuartm
Hi all,

Just got back from Vancouver having been there for the last 2 1/2 weeks - god i love that place! I was there last year in summer, and weve just been back a second time for a holiday and to consider the whole emigration issue

Its so depressing being back - on Monday i was grabbbing lunch on Granville island, reading the Province and chilling out on Beatty St. Now im back to stinking streets, hordes of no-hoper chaves adorning my local street corner, litter and generally just the depressing UK

I am pretty much ready to go , but my wife says she will decide in the new year if she wants to go for it. We are both 32 and i figure that heading out there in our mid-30's for a couple of years to try and make it work is a risk worth taking. If it doesnt work it we are young enough to start again.

What do you all think, should we go for it? Should i try and convince my wife? Its such a hard situation and its no wonder there are so many people on this forum with similar dilemma's.

Can i just say how cool and friendly the Vancouverites are - really welcoming, cheery and laid back - the city is obviously good for you !

Regards, Stu
If you haven't done anything about it yet won't you be pushing forty by the time you get there ? I don't know that that's an age for adventuring.
Old Dec 15th 2005, 2:32 am
BE Enthusiast

stuartm is just really nicestuartm is just really nicestuartm is just really nicestuartm is just really nicestuartm is just really nicestuartm is just really nicestuartm is just really nicestuartm is just really nicestuartm is just really nicestuartm is just really nicestuartm is just really nice

Originally Posted by dbd33
If you haven't done anything about it yet won't you be pushing forty by the time you get there ? I don't know that that's an age for adventuring.
Only just turned 32, apply in Jan 06, if successful get there when were 35, if no luck after two years, come back when were 37. In this scenario - are we too old????

How old is everyone else on here thinking of leaving then???

Stu
Old Dec 15th 2005, 2:35 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Only just turned 32, apply in Jan 06, if successful get there when were 35, if no luck after two years, come back when were 37. In this scenario - are we too old????

Stu
There's a current thread called Average Age ......

I believe the application process now takes five years, I can't imagine wanting to put life on hold for so long. We came here because it was quicker and easier than going to the US or Australia.
Old Dec 15th 2005, 2:38 am
BE Enthusiast

There's a current thread called Average Age ......

I believe the application process now takes five years, I can't imagine wanting to put life on hold for so long. We came here because it was quicker and easier than going to the US or Australia.
5 YEARS !!!!!!!!!!!!

IS THIS RIGHT????
Old Dec 15th 2005, 3:17 am
Forum Regular

jeany has a brilliant futurejeany has a brilliant futurejeany has a brilliant futurejeany has a brilliant futurejeany has a brilliant futurejeany has a brilliant futurejeany has a brilliant futurejeany has a brilliant future

Never to old to have an adventure!
I'm 27 and OH 31. We are very much considering going out on a WHV and see how we like it, with the possibilty of applying for PR.

Hi all,

Regards, Stu
Old Dec 15th 2005, 4:00 am
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

It's not the city that makes em laid back it's the BC Bud!
Old Dec 15th 2005, 4:09 am
Forum Regular

Arizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

Regards, Stu
Hi Stu,Vancouver is a great city,spent many hours down on Granville Island,British Columbia is also beautiful.I dont know what the work situation is like in Vancouver but you will find something.Go for it!!! You snooze and you will lose!I was 36 married with seven children when we emigrated to USA and have now been here 33 years and have never regretted it one time, the best move we ever made.Good luck to you,its gonna take some time but will be worth it.Hope they accept you.
Old Dec 15th 2005, 5:04 am
Forum Regular

philcUK is an unknown quantity at this point

Stu
I left the UK to come over here when I was 38, now 42. If I want to move again in the next twenty years I will. If you are using age as an excuse for not wanting to move then maybe you don't really want to move, maybe it's just post holiday blues.

If you really want to sit and have coffee at Granville Island every weekend, Go for it.

You know what, you gave me a good idea for lunch, I'm off to Granville Island. What are your doing for lunch
Old Dec 15th 2005, 5:13 am
BE Forum Addict

jempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by philcUK
I left the UK to come over here when I was 38, now 42. If I want to move again in the next twenty years I will. If you are using age as an excuse for not wanting to move then maybe you don't really want to move, maybe it's just post holiday blues.

If you really want to sit and have coffee at Granville Island every weekend, Go for it.

You know what, you gave me a good idea for lunch, I'm off to Granville Island. What are your doing for lunch
HI. we have just applied for PR, we are 36 and 37 with 3 children 18,17&12. You are never to old for an adventure! Is it not better to go than in 10 years time say ' i wish we tried that.' we are going through the PNP route as husband has job offer so hopefully the waiting will not be so long. We will once we get (with any luck)an offer on our property go out on a work permit so that we dont have to wait. GO FOR IT.
Old Dec 15th 2005, 5:19 am
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Stu,

Welcome and glad you had a good experience in BC. It's a remarkable province, Vancouver is a fantastic city eh ?

Your age is not a problem, if the whole idea excites you both, then simply go for it.

Yes, there is a 3-4 year wait to have PR processed, but there are other ways to live and work in Canada quicker, while your PR is processed.

I'd suggest fully exploring your options and doing more research about the whole thing, and don't forget that one of the problems with Canada immigration is too many people moving to Toronto and Vancouver - this is a big country, BC is a huge province and there are many more options available to you.

Good luck,

Rich.
Old Dec 15th 2005, 9:18 am
Loving it here!

ClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to behold

Hi all,

Did you manage to meet up with the group that had the Xmas meal at Steamworks? they would have been able to convince your wife!

Clare
Old Dec 15th 2005, 9:52 am
Just Joined

mogwi is an unknown quantity at this point

Regards, Stu [/QUOTE]

If you've been a couple of times and love I'd say go for it. you only live once. I'm 32 too and although i'll have to gain permission from my son's father which will be costly through the court i'd rather try than ask myself 'what if' for the next 40+ years. Like you say if it doesn't work out, then you come back. If you've lost a few quid along the way is it really the end of the world. Good luck
Old Dec 15th 2005, 11:56 am
BE Enthusiast

CalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to all

Why not?
Old Dec 15th 2005, 12:31 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by CalgaryBlade
Why not?
The force of history. People decline with age, they cease being able to take on risk, perhaps because they have more to lose. It seems to me that forty is about the time at which one starts to understand the phrase "age appropriate". People at forty are likely to know their net worth, they may even know their god, it's not a time of life at which the proper thing to do is to run around the world.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.