Reload this Page >

Just arrived in Ontario, Canada

Wikiposts

Just arrived in Ontario, Canada

Old Mar 26th 2010, 6:18 am
Just Joined

DASHouse is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Just arrived in Ontario, Canada

Hi, I am writing to introduce ourselves on here, we are the Harris family, Harriet, David, Adam and Sam - we arrived in Ontario on Sunday. Its taken nearly 5 years to go through the application process but we finally made it.

Now starts the work of setting up our new lives here. I am currently a housewife, the boys are 6 & 3 and David works in IT training.

Its amazing how helpful everyone is. We don't have any friends or family over here so we are starting from scratch and the help we've had and advice has been amazing just from people we are chatting to on a day to day basis.

I'm looking forward to getting to know a few people on here as we'll be around for a while :-).
Old Mar 26th 2010, 6:19 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just arrived in Ontario, Canada

Whereabouts in Ontario are you?
Old Mar 26th 2010, 8:25 am
Just Joined

DASHouse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dbd33
Whereabouts in Ontario are you?
We're currently in Port Credit, Mississauga, but looking at moving over to the Kitchener-Waterloo, Cambridge triangle in the next couple of weeks. Are you in Canada?
Old Mar 30th 2010, 9:12 pm
Forum Regular

jordana09 is a name known to alljordana09 is a name known to alljordana09 is a name known to alljordana09 is a name known to alljordana09 is a name known to alljordana09 is a name known to alljordana09 is a name known to alljordana09 is a name known to alljordana09 is a name known to alljordana09 is a name known to alljordana09 is a name known to all

I hope you settle in ok. my daughter and her family moved to Ontario 3 years ago and they are all doing well. They both have good jobs and the kids are enjoying the school more over there than they did here! So that in itself is a good thing!
My daughter felt a bit lonely at first, but once she started work she made many friends and they have plenty nights out now.
It will just take time to get used to all things new but all the best in your new venture
Old Mar 30th 2010, 11:15 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DASHouse
Hi, I am writing to introduce ourselves on here, we are the Harris family, Harriet, David, Adam and Sam - we arrived in Ontario on Sunday. Its taken nearly 5 years to go through the application process but we finally made it.

Now starts the work of setting up our new lives here. I am currently a housewife, the boys are 6 & 3 and David works in IT training.

Its amazing how helpful everyone is. We don't have any friends or family over here so we are starting from scratch and the help we've had and advice has been amazing just from people we are chatting to on a day to day basis.

I'm looking forward to getting to know a few people on here as we'll be around for a while :-).
Hello and welcome to BE.

I see you've already found your way into our Canada forum. We have many members who live in Ontario...so hopefully they'll be able to help you with any questions you may have about your new life there.

Good luck.
Old Mar 31st 2010, 7:38 am
Just Joined

waitinginline! is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Re: Just arrived in Ontario, Canada

We arrived in sept 2009 after a 4 year wait and are seriuosly considering going back. So sad after such high hopes!
Old Apr 5th 2010, 10:44 am
Forum Regular

coal has a spectacular aura aboutcoal has a spectacular aura aboutcoal has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by waitinginline!
We arrived in sept 2009 after a 4 year wait and are seriuosly considering going back. So sad after such high hopes!
Hi there,

Is it because of lack of work that you are thinking of going back...or for other reasons?? I moved in June last year after a 3 year wait. I have been on a rollercoaster since arriving and have found it hard to find work in my field. I have had serious thoughts of going back too. But it is hard when you have put so, so much into this whole process. However, there is a financially reality to all this and we all need to work. Would be good to hear your story if you don't mind sharing.
Old Apr 6th 2010, 5:08 am
Just Joined

Here's our story! We have family in the Niagara region. Applied on skilled worker in Nov 04, landed in Sept 09. Lived on outskirts of London/Kent.
I'm a learning disability nurse with 30 yrs experience in a wide variety of settings. Thought I could get a support worker post! Managed to get a temp p/t post which ends in 3 weeks!
Am undergoing assessment by College of Nurses of Ontario, but takes forever and of course fees at every step!
I have the option to go back to my UK job in Aug and think I will!
Husband was a revenue inspector, then worked in the city in taxation for large corporate organizations. He is working as a seasonal tax with a big company, had to pay $300 to do their course took 10 weeks p/t, lots of home study, had to pass over 80% and is paid minium wage, finishes soon! Doesn't have a degree, just years and years of experience!
Daughter 23, trained nursery nurse, 2 yr college diploma, 2 years as a nursery nurse in a special care baby unit, successfully resuscitated a prem baby, then 1 year with health visitor team, can't get a job in a related field and then refused a place on a 2yr practical nursing course because her high school grades not high enough! Would not take into account experience or diploma!
Finding the whole experience of job hunting a shock! And just found out that Niagara is the 2nd highest unemployment spot in Canada!
Any ideas of places to relocate that have jobs and affordable housing?

Last edited by waitinginline!; Apr 6th 2010 at 5:08 am. Reason: typo
Old Apr 6th 2010, 5:16 am
Forum Regular

Bramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to all

Originally Posted by coal
Hi there,

Is it because of lack of work that you are thinking of going back...or for other reasons?? I moved in June last year after a 3 year wait. I have been on a rollercoaster since arriving and have found it hard to find work in my field. I have had serious thoughts of going back too. But it is hard when you have put so, so much into this whole process. However, there is a financially reality to all this and we all need to work. Would be good to hear your story if you don't mind sharing.
We landed Feb 09 after a four year wait and like yourself I'm finding it hard to settle. It's impossible to find work in my field too and feel very lonely and isolated at times. We still have property in the UK so that's a backup just in case, I've travelled back to UK twice already and planning another trip in October...would love to hear from other people in a similar position who are feeling the strain.
Old Apr 6th 2010, 5:18 am
Just Joined

Where are you living? We thought it was worse here!
Old Apr 6th 2010, 5:22 am
Forum Regular

Bramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to all

We're just outside Barrie
Old Apr 6th 2010, 5:23 am
Just Joined

We had thought of trying in that area? What do you think based on your experience?
Old Apr 6th 2010, 5:30 am
Forum Regular

Barrie is lovely, we moved to a new sub-division (which isn't finished) yet and live close to some wonderful little beaches and in the summer it's gorgeous. I just think leaving family and friends, work being very limited and not having a social network is beginning to take it's toll at the moment. But if you're thinking over moving here, honestly I can't fault Barrie as a whole.
Old Apr 6th 2010, 5:30 am
Forum Regular

coal has a spectacular aura aboutcoal has a spectacular aura aboutcoal has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Bramley
We landed Feb 09 after a four year wait and like yourself I'm finding it hard to settle. It's impossible to find work in my field too and feel very lonely and isolated at times. We still have property in the UK so that's a backup just in case, I've travelled back to UK twice already and planning another trip in October...would love to hear from other people in a similar position who are feeling the strain.
Yes, I can sympathise with you very much. I'm sorry you are going through the same thing but I take some comfort from the fact that I am not alone. I have found this whole experience very unsettling. I have always worked very hard and been very independent (in the UK!) and with the struggle to get work here I am feeling a part of me is missing. You really do feel like you are starting again here from scratch. Moving in an economic downturn too has not been an ideal time to get jobs as an outsider. It has caused me much strain too, leading to anxiety and panic attacks. As much as you try and prepare for this, you never really know what you are letting yourself in for by moving abroad. I have moved alone so this makes it even harder. I said I would stick it out for one year come what may and then re assess then. It will be one year in June. The whole experience may just turn out to be a very expensive learning curve. If I do go back to the UK, I'd be concerned how hard it would be to settle back in after having lived abroad....it really does open up a whole can of worms!
Old Apr 6th 2010, 5:40 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by coal
Yes, I can sympathise with you very much. I'm sorry you are going through the same thing but I take some comfort from the fact that I am not alone. I have found this whole experience very unsettling. I have always worked very hard and been very independent (in the UK!) and with the struggle to get work here I am feeling a part of me is missing. You really do feel like you are starting again here from scratch. Moving in an economic downturn too has not been an ideal time to get jobs as an outsider. It has caused me much strain too, leading to anxiety and panic attacks. As much as you try and prepare for this, you never really know what you are letting yourself in for by moving abroad. I have moved alone so this makes it even harder. I said I would stick it out for one year come what may and then re assess then. It will be one year in June. The whole experience may just turn out to be a very expensive learning curve. If I do go back to the UK, I'd be concerned how hard it would be to settle back in after having lived abroad....it really does open up a whole can of worms!
You've hit the nail on the head, everything you say is exactly how I feel about the whole experience. I too worked hard in the UK and never been out of work for this long, I now suffer with anxiety and panic attacks and have even began to question myself on whether we did the right thing after all. I take my hat off to you moving alone, that must be even more difficult. I find myself (even when in company) that I still feel alone and although Canada is a wonderful country, beneath the polite exterior of the Canadians they truly aren't any better than the British at times with their bluntness and back stabbing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.