British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Just another mad Brit wanting to say hello! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/just-another-mad-brit-wanting-say-hello-526644/)

snoopdawg Apr 3rd 2008 8:57 pm

Just another mad Brit wanting to say hello!

Hi, I'm new to the forum, but not to forums!. This seems an amazing site, with so much info and amazingly active!
We are 2 GPs with 2 kids hoping to move to BC or maybe Alberta. We've been to both on holiday before but are coming back this summer for another scout around whilst we study hard for all our exams we need ( hard for me especially after 23 years !!!!:eek:
At the moment it all seems a little overwhelming, but we're working through it all. It helps that I've just told my parents who seem very supportive and can see why we want to go.
Our eldest son (nearly 14) is very unsure, since I can't go on it , can anyone tell me how active/useful the teenage chat room is?
Also , how useful are the EXPOs, we were considering the London one in June.

Alberta_Rose Apr 3rd 2008 10:03 pm

Re: Just another mad Brit wanting to say hello!

Originally Posted by snoopdawg (Post 6155292)
Our eldest son (nearly 14) is very unsure, since I can't go on it , can anyone tell me how active/useful the teenage chat room is?

Welcome to BE. We are in Calgary, Alberta, and arrived here with our two boys in 2005, having first visited and decided to move over in 2003. We brought our lads to visit in 2004, and they fell for the place as we had, straight away.

Our younger boy was 14 (elder lad was 19) when we landed, and although he found it incredibly hard to leave his network of close friends in the UK, neither of them has ever said they didn't want to come, and the only criticism both of them have made really is to ask why we didn't come years ago!

The younger went into 9th grade (having just finished yr 9 in UK) and found school here "totally awesome!!" He says the kids are much more friendly here, even though as I say he had loads of close friends back in the UK. He did comment after being here a while that friends here were "not the same" as his old friends, but accepts that it takes time to build the type of friendships he had with kids he grew up with.

He's 16 now, and told me just last week how totally happy he is to be living here, and how it is so much cooler than England. He loves playing hockey, but of course is not yet an accomplished skater like his buddies, so he enjoys "street hockey" and "roller-hockey". We are all great fans of the local NHL team, the Flames. (GO FLAMES GO!!!!!)

Both of them love snow sports too since we've got here, and he snow-boards, while #1 son skis!

They can do any sports and activities you can think of here. In a city like Calgary literally everything is available. We have the Olympic Park for skiing/boarding (or mountain-biking, depending on the season), or the mountains are less than an hour's drive for great hikes, camping, white-water rafting etc (we haven't done that yet!!).

He shouldn't worry about coming here. I'm sure he'll love it!!! :thumbsup:

Not sure what hoops you have to jump through as doctors to work here, but I'm sure you've looked into that! I'm currently working with a guy who's just here for a year with his family from England, and he is FRCS (ortho) doing a stint on arthroplasty, which is my field as a physiotherapist. You'll be very welcome and are much needed anyway!

NovaBoy Apr 4th 2008 1:57 pm

Hello and welcome to the mad world of BE. :eek:

You'll get plenty of patients - & that's just on here! ;)

Just wanted to wish you the best of luck on your journey ahead, wherever you decide to settle!

:thumbsup:

Cassie 10000 Apr 4th 2008 3:59 pm

A big hello and welcome.

bandit Apr 4th 2008 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by snoopdawg (Post 6155292)
Hi, I'm new to the forum, but not to forums!. This seems an amazing site, with so much info and amazingly active!
We are 2 GPs with 2 kids hoping to move to BC or maybe Alberta. We've been to both on holiday before but are coming back this summer for another scout around whilst we study hard for all our exams we need ( hard for me especially after 23 years !!!!:eek:
At the moment it all seems a little overwhelming, but we're working through it all. It helps that I've just told my parents who seem very supportive and can see why we want to go.

Hi there and Welcome

I went on my reccie earlier this year to both Vanc and Calgary - choose Vanc... However being single I have to only think of me, which is fairly straightforward. Just need to find and job and apartment when I get there!!

good luck, and I understand Doctors are quite in demand!!

Bx

BRITSBC Apr 5th 2008 4:05 am

Welcome to BE. I live just outside of the City of Vancouver and as the doctors retire off in the practice I go to, all I hear are UK or South African accents with the new doctors coming in - the same in Vancouver when I visit relatives in Vancouver General. I know it's hard to get in but they are coming in - so keep the faith! Wishing you the best of luck and sending my good thoughts for you.

Margaret

roanin Apr 5th 2008 5:58 am

You two just get your fuzzy butts over here!! As indicated, we are in dire need of doctors of all disciplines, as well as medical staff at all levels. If I was in your boots, I would set up my own practice, right from the get-go. You will never look back, and the kids will just love it here. It is a huge place, with opportunity for you in all regions. I welcome you to BE, and wish you well in your endeavors.

snoopdawg Apr 5th 2008 7:11 am

Thank you everyone for your replies. Although we're in the early stages, we are getting very excited . I can't wait to get over there in the summer to look around and try to really get a feel for Canada as a place to live rather than holiday :D

My mind is racing a bit at the moment, I'm sure there are others who know what I mean! I think I may be a bit ahead of myself with thoughts of how to sell up, move, what to keep, finances etc. I'll post separate queries as I need as they may be useful to others.

The4BellsLondon Apr 5th 2008 4:39 pm

hi and welcome ....

maddhobs Apr 5th 2008 5:16 pm

Hi and welcome. Seems to be a shortage of doctors here on Vancouver Island as well. Good luck and best wishes!:thumbsup:

purple80 Apr 5th 2008 10:51 pm

Welcome to the BE madhouse.....
All the best with your journey
:wub: Charlie :wub: