Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Just announced - fracking banned in Nova Scotia

Just announced - fracking banned in Nova Scotia

Old Sep 5th 2014, 5:21 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just announced - fracking banned in Nova Scotia

I wonder how many shiny new iPhone 6s will get sold in Vancouver or Toronto to people who rail against the tar sands...?
Old Sep 5th 2014, 8:13 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
It's water and sand FFS! Basically the same stuff you'd find in a water filtration system.
No, it's not. Sometimes water isn't even used but rather LPG and sometimes sand isn't used but rather ceramic granules. In all cases additives are used to change the viscosity of the fracking fluid and others as gelling agents.

Fracking was indeed first tried in 1947 but has only become economical since 2000 or so when horizontal fracking became possible due to advances in drilling technology.

The author of the report mentioned by the OP, David Wheeler is a personal friend and former colleague of mine. He isn't a raving environmentalist but is staunchly pro-business albeit with the caveat that the business be sustainable.

I haven't read his report but I can assure you it will have been fair and intellectually rigorous. He's a very smart guy.
Old Sep 5th 2014, 9:18 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
All they really give you is sense of warm fuzzyness ...
That'll be the radiation poisoning.
Old Sep 5th 2014, 11:58 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

It's water and sand FFS! Basically the same stuff you'd find in a water filtration system.
Is it?? Why are there hazard sign and venting systems on the fracking trucks then?? And why was my well water drinkable before fracking and is not drinkable now?
Old Sep 6th 2014, 12:56 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

A good party trick, though

This fracking thing, along with other arguments involving the extractive industries, racks me off a bit. People seem happy to reap the benefits (like cheaper natural gas), provided it goes on somewhere else. NIMBYism.

I quite liked a bumper sticker I picked from the Alberta government booth at a trade show a few years ago.

"Ban mining. Let the bastards freeze in the dark."

Perhaps the breast-beaters should check to see if they own anything made from gold, silver or platinum. Like, perhaps, their bling. There are some seriously nasty chemicals involved there. They don't cause earthquakes but they can completely destroy a river in minutes.

I find fracking and such a necessary evil if we want to maintain our modern lifestyle. I do hope in the future we have cleaner more earth friendly alternatives, but we kind of have to put up with it for now since we do need natural gas, oil and the like.

If only people were up in arms about the clear cutting of forests as they are over oil and gas extraction.

The old mine down the road from Squamish that is a museum now, still has water being treated for contaminants from the metal mining that occurred there, and its been 40 some odd years since the mine closed. But people want their gold, silver and other metals.
Old Sep 6th 2014, 2:11 am
BE Enthusiast

GC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond repute

Hope it ain't banned out here, that would be 50% of my job up the swanny !
Old Sep 6th 2014, 2:44 am
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute

I think the point is that fracking might be doable in a way that is acceptable but I think the regulation is sooo poor that quite bad things are happening. I suspect an acceptable way involves much more characterisation of the ground and aquifers and that makes it too expensive.

The chemicals used are pretty nasty, but even forgetting that, the entire point is to fracture the ground to allow in ground movement of hydrocarbons. Unfortunately a side effect is that it also connects aquifers with hydrocarbon deposits that they previously weren't connected to and also messes up the biogeochemistry. Hence all the problem with wells, all over the place.

I think groundwater is a fairly important resource going forward and in areas where its relied on I am not sure fracking, under the current regulation and standards of practice, makes any sense.

I recommend reading 'Stupid to the last drop'. Sure it probably biased in its slant, but nonetheless its quite an informative read.
Old Sep 6th 2014, 3:19 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gryphea
I think the point is that fracking might be doable in a way that is acceptable but I think the regulation is sooo poor that quite bad things are happening. I suspect an acceptable way involves much more characterisation of the ground and aquifers and that makes it too expensive.

The chemicals used are pretty nasty, but even forgetting that, the entire point is to fracture the ground to allow in ground movement of hydrocarbons. Unfortunately a side effect is that it also connects aquifers with hydrocarbon deposits that they previously weren't connected to and also messes up the biogeochemistry. Hence all the problem with wells, all over the place.

I think groundwater is a fairly important resource going forward and in areas where its relied on I am not sure fracking, under the current regulation and standards of practice, makes any sense.

I recommend reading 'Stupid to the last drop'. Sure it probably biased in its slant, but nonetheless its quite an informative read.
That's got my vote for Most Sensible, Balanced and Well Informed Post of the Year.

The other thing to mention though is with the new(isn) horizontal drilling, the extractors don't tell people that they're extracting right below their feet (or well).
Old Sep 6th 2014, 3:43 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

The Gasland documentary is interesting too.
Old Sep 6th 2014, 11:53 am
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gryphea

I agree with you 100%. Fracking is daft.
Old Sep 6th 2014, 1:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
That's got my vote for Most Sensible, Balanced and Well Informed Post of the Year.

The other thing to mention though is with the new(isn) horizontal drilling, the extractors don't tell people that they're extracting right below their feet (or well).
Our company is dealing with a water dam at the moment that has border line stability. There was a no-fracking radius around it to prevent them undermining the dam; but they went in horizontally. Unbelievable.
Old Sep 7th 2014, 10:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Ontheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud of

It's not been around since the 1940's - high volume high pressure deep shale fracking is a new technology and proven to cause seismic activity. Shallow low volume low pressure fracking has been around since the 1940s. Anyone moving to Canada should check out if fracking might be happening in their area - its not just the seismic and chemicals, its the noise, lights, smell, traffic, accidents and spills. Information on my FB page Stop Fracking in Nova Scotia. If it had come to NS we would have gone - quite enlightened to ban it.
Old Sep 7th 2014, 8:43 pm
is awesome

catpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
Or those that would like to drink their own well water
Fracking depths aren't usually near aquifer depths and the fractures created are monitored by lovely people like me in the microseismics industry. The times where aquifers have been affected by fracking are extremely minimal, especially given how much fracking is conducted in North America.
Old Sep 11th 2014, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by catpea33
Fracking depths aren't usually near aquifer depths and the fractures created are monitored by lovely people like me in the microseismics industry. The times where aquifers have been affected by fracking are extremely minimal, especially given how much fracking is conducted in North America.
Sorry if I don't believe you, when my neighbours built my house the well water was drinkable - for years. Then fracking was carried out and the well water now has to be treated to be drinkable. I'm sure I am one of many, there are too many reports out there to say that fracking causes problems. Lets see, if we can't destroy the earth by what we're doing on top, lets drill and destabilize what's underneath....

I know oil and gas is a necessity but doing things that wreck fresh water supplies is just plain stupid.
Old Sep 15th 2014, 5:56 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Fracking doesn't contaminate water supplies, faulty shale gas wells do - Telegraph

Just to add fuel to the fire (or kitchen sink).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.