Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

The Joys of Selling Your Home

The Joys of Selling Your Home

Old Sep 26th 2005, 10:29 pm
Forum Regular

SunnySussex is just really niceSunnySussex is just really niceSunnySussex is just really niceSunnySussex is just really niceSunnySussex is just really niceSunnySussex is just really niceSunnySussex is just really niceSunnySussex is just really niceSunnySussex is just really nice
Exclamation Re: The Joys of Selling Your Home

I know this is an old thread now.................

We put our place on the market 3 weeks ago and we have only had one viewing so far ?????.

Anyone else still having problems getting rid of their place ?.
For those who have cracked it, what did you do to get things moving ?

Please help!!!!!!!!!!.
Old Sep 26th 2005, 10:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Posidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Joys of Selling Your Home

Originally Posted by SunnySussex

We put our place on the market 3 weeks ago and we have only had one viewing so far ?????.

Please help!!!!!!!!!!.
Sounds like par for the coarse. we had five viewings in five months. Sacked the estate agents then advertised in the Evening Standard. Lots of viewings and two offers within a week, although one subsequently turned out to be a time waster but the other parties surveyor came around today. We are preying that it goes through.

We live on the Oxforshire boundary with Bucks, so the ES does get non London interest.

Also be prepared to accept lower (but sensible) offers. You will only end of regreting it if you turn one down and are still stuck 12 months later. We have had houses in our street for sale for almost 2 years because of over inflated expectations.
Old Sep 26th 2005, 10:43 pm
Cowtown

Please help!!!!!!!!!!.

Pack everything you possibly can and store it elsewhere.
Clear off all of those kitchen worktops.
Clean inside the fridge - you would be surprised how many people look there.
Your closets should not be more than half full. Nothing should fall out if they are opened - and people do open them.
There should be no grubby laundry anywhere(absolutely none).
There should be no clean laundry anywhere else other than in the closets.
The plates, cutlery etc should be washed and put away.
There should be no smell of cooking (except perhaps bread or cookies).
Make sure all of the rooms look as if they are used for their proper purpose ie bedrooms should be made up as such and not as the family gym/storage room.
Make the beds.
Get rid of all of the family photos in the public areas.
Get rid of anything that is very personal (anything that puts your lifestyle clearly into the house).
Check for pet smells.
Clean as if your life depended on it. Then clean some more. And some more.....

In my view its hard to 'live' in a house while you sell it. Try to sort of exist while not making anything grubby or untidy!

Old Sep 26th 2005, 11:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

psb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rossandvi
Is it me or am i going mad. :scared:
Had people to view my home today........................
Time booked for viewing 14.30 pm.........they arrived 15.20 oh soz said the guy couldnt find your house.........fair enough i thought did you get a brochure from the estate agent i ask?.oh yes he replied ah ok say i there are directions on the brochure............ oh are there he replies.Grrrrrrrr
He produces the brochure and the show round begins......Hmmm she says your back garden is very large isnt it ..........yes as stated in brochure.
I dont like that tree as she point to a fantstic 40 yr old willow .that will have to go eh babes she says to her husband.
We continue our walk round the garden........... whats in the ponds she asks......... would you believe ''Fish'' i reply as stated in the bochure and we move past a the lilly pond comple with cute frogs sunbathing Eeeeekkkk she yells I hate Frogs they will have be gotton rid of as she smiles at me...sharp intake of breath i continue the tour............. we move inside ...are these floors made of wood he asks .........yes the are ,arnt they great i ask ....ermm
dont like wood floors came the reply............................
That was it for me didnt want a garden or ponds or wood floor etc etc
Now call me daft if you will but..............i just couldnt go on and said well i guess this house isnt for you............but do me a favour please read the details of any further house you might view and dont waste their time as you have mine.
The reply................. well hun we havent even got our house on the market yet nd not all that sure if we really want to move but it nice having a look at folks houses,Arrrrggggggggg ................ another complete waste of time come on mr estate agent ask some questions before sending people to view our home with all their negative comments ............. :scared:

I am selling a house myself right now......see if you can beat this one........sunday I had an open house anyway I had a guest sheet for people to sign in along came this couple with their 3 kids and they said they loved it.....were in the house 45 minutes and I said please sign the guest sheet......so they said they are working with a realtor I said thats fine who is it......they told me who it was so today I called the realtor and asked for feedback and if they are interested........I told the realtor their name that they signed in with and the realtor said I will give them a call and see what they say......1/2 hour later the phone rang and it was the realtor.......she said I called them and the lady said she didn't even leave the house on sunday and for sure did not go to any open houses......then she said anyway my husband is away on buisness.......I am thinking WTF.......I described them to the realtor and their 3 kids and the realtor said yep thats them........I said to the realtor if they ever ask you about my house tell em it's a 5% non refundable deposit upon accepting an offer......can anyone beat that one
Old Sep 26th 2005, 11:39 pm
Forum Regular

allie2 has much to be proud ofallie2 has much to be proud ofallie2 has much to be proud ofallie2 has much to be proud ofallie2 has much to be proud ofallie2 has much to be proud ofallie2 has much to be proud ofallie2 has much to be proud ofallie2 has much to be proud ofallie2 has much to be proud ofallie2 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by psb182
.....can anyone beat that one
How about an open house with no viewings?

House went on the market in April. I am now on the third estate agents (multiple with the second), and they have just sent me a spec saying I have a semi detached house (its detached), with an L shape hall (its not) with 2 bedrooms (it has 3) with the price wrong.

I have dropped the price to less than a semi-detached and have got professionals in to look at the house and tell me what I need to change to sell it. Both said "Nothing, I can't understand why it is not selling. Its just a really slow market".

I wanted to move in September. I told work I wanted to move in September. I have all the projects no-one wants, understandably did not get the promised promotion, am excluded from training courses and have no job satisfaction.

I am starting to wish I had been rejected. This is really awful.

Sob.
Old Sep 26th 2005, 11:48 pm
Cowtown

Originally Posted by allie2
I have dropped the price to less than a semi-detached and have got professionals in to look at the house and tell me what I need to change to sell it.
Playing Devil's Advocate here - but could the problem be that everyone is now wondering what exactly is wrong with your house if you are prepared to drop your price so low? (yes, I know there is nothing - but the public can be really stupid!)

Old Sep 26th 2005, 11:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

psb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cowtown
Playing Devil's Advocate here - but could the problem be that everyone is now wondering what exactly is wrong with your house if you are prepared to drop your price so low? (yes, I know there is nothing - but the public can be really stupid!)

when selling a house it is better to give the prospective buyers a blank screen........they do not want to see it as YOUR house so get rid of all pictures and decorations on the walls or even plants.....perhaps burn a candle for an hour or so before they come in........any drastic coloures get them changed to neutral.........tidy up the front of the house and put some flowers in .......and MAKE SURE you turn on all the lights in the house before they come in
Old Sep 27th 2005, 8:30 am
Forum Regular

Daveyboy_The_Red has much to be proud ofDaveyboy_The_Red has much to be proud ofDaveyboy_The_Red has much to be proud ofDaveyboy_The_Red has much to be proud ofDaveyboy_The_Red has much to be proud ofDaveyboy_The_Red has much to be proud ofDaveyboy_The_Red has much to be proud ofDaveyboy_The_Red has much to be proud ofDaveyboy_The_Red has much to be proud ofDaveyboy_The_Red has much to be proud ofDaveyboy_The_Red has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by psb182
when selling a house it is better to give the prospective buyers a blank screen........they do not want to see it as YOUR house so get rid of all pictures and decorations on the walls or even plants.....perhaps burn a candle for an hour or so before they come in........any drastic coloures get them changed to neutral.........tidy up the front of the house and put some flowers in .......and MAKE SURE you turn on all the lights in the house before they come in

an estate agents speaks..

above is good advice, also get rid of ALL animals from the house, including kids and if you can bear it, give the keys to the agents and disspear for an hour or so.

the market is becoming stronger again so if your house is at the corrent price then it should sell. get a GOOD estate agent (there are some about!), recommendations are best of course. people are nervous of a house that has been on the market for some time
Old Sep 27th 2005, 1:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

CalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Daveyboy_The_Red
the market is becoming stronger again
Where would that be exactly?

I have connections in the UK property business and they tell me that EA's are going bust and it's the hardest market it's been since the early '90's.
Old Sep 27th 2005, 1:27 pm
Forum Regular

Daveyboy_The_Red has much to be proud ofDaveyboy_The_Red has much to be proud ofDaveyboy_The_Red has much to be proud ofDaveyboy_The_Red has much to be proud ofDaveyboy_The_Red has much to be proud ofDaveyboy_The_Red has much to be proud ofDaveyboy_The_Red has much to be proud ofDaveyboy_The_Red has much to be proud ofDaveyboy_The_Red has much to be proud ofDaveyboy_The_Red has much to be proud ofDaveyboy_The_Red has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by CalgaryBlade
Where would that be exactly?

I have connections in the UK property business and they tell me that EA's are going bust and it's the hardest market it's been since the early '90's.

i've not seen any agents go bust here, infact we have had 3 new agents open since the start of the year in a fairly small town. yes the housing market is the hardest its been for a while, thats because we've had it really easy for so long!!
Old Sep 27th 2005, 5:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

hawkeye is a name known to allhawkeye is a name known to allhawkeye is a name known to allhawkeye is a name known to allhawkeye is a name known to allhawkeye is a name known to allhawkeye is a name known to allhawkeye is a name known to allhawkeye is a name known to allhawkeye is a name known to allhawkeye is a name known to all

I put my house on the market a week ago had 10 viewings and 1 offer (£10 grand to low though). Gave my keys to the estate agent and let them view, make them earn there money I say.
Old Sep 27th 2005, 7:18 pm
Forum Regular

Keg and Mash is just really niceKeg and Mash is just really niceKeg and Mash is just really niceKeg and Mash is just really niceKeg and Mash is just really niceKeg and Mash is just really niceKeg and Mash is just really niceKeg and Mash is just really nice
Smile Re: The Joys of Selling Your Home

hi,
we've been on the market a few months now;if one more person tells us " bit on the small side" when in the next breath they're telling us they want to DOWNSIZE, I'll stick the house brochure somewhere painful!
Or the woman who "absolutely loved it" but if she could'nt fit her dining-table-cum-snooker-table into the dining room, it would have to be no. And guess what?
Also, houses down the road come on the market, the board goes up on the Saturday followed by a "SOLD " sign the following Monday. And they've got a mingin' front garden! How? Why?
The no-showers are definately the worse.All that cleaning for nothing.
Got our fingers crossed for you - it will happen, just never know when or for how much!
It will be worth it!! Good luck!xxxxxxx
Originally Posted by rossandvi
Is it me or am i going mad. :scared:
Had people to view my home today........................
Time booked for viewing 14.30 pm.........they arrived 15.20 oh soz said the guy couldnt find your house.........fair enough i thought did you get a brochure from the estate agent i ask?.oh yes he replied ah ok say i there are directions on the brochure............ oh are there he replies.Grrrrrrrr
He produces the brochure and the show round begins......Hmmm she says your back garden is very large isnt it ..........yes as stated in brochure.
I dont like that tree as she point to a fantstic 40 yr old willow .that will have to go eh babes she says to her husband.
We continue our walk round the garden........... whats in the ponds she asks......... would you believe ''Fish'' i reply as stated in the bochure and we move past a the lilly pond comple with cute frogs sunbathing Eeeeekkkk she yells I hate Frogs they will have be gotton rid of as she smiles at me...sharp intake of breath i continue the tour............. we move inside ...are these floors made of wood he asks .........yes the are ,arnt they great i ask ....ermm
dont like wood floors came the reply............................
That was it for me didnt want a garden or ponds or wood floor etc etc
Now call me daft if you will but..............i just couldnt go on and said well i guess this house isnt for you............but do me a favour please read the details of any further house you might view and dont waste their time as you have mine.
The reply................. well hun we havent even got our house on the market yet nd not all that sure if we really want to move but it nice having a look at folks houses,Arrrrggggggggg ................ another complete waste of time come on mr estate agent ask some questions before sending people to view our home with all their negative comments ............. :scared:
Old Sep 27th 2005, 7:55 pm
Cowtown

Originally Posted by Keg and Mash
Also, houses down the road come on the market, the board goes up on the Saturday followed by a "SOLD " sign the following Monday. And they've got a mingin' front garden! How? Why?
Do you know if the sale completed or what the sale price was?

Old Sep 27th 2005, 8:09 pm
Forum Regular

allie2 has much to be proud ofallie2 has much to be proud ofallie2 has much to be proud ofallie2 has much to be proud ofallie2 has much to be proud ofallie2 has much to be proud ofallie2 has much to be proud ofallie2 has much to be proud ofallie2 has much to be proud ofallie2 has much to be proud ofallie2 has much to be proud of

Thanks for the advice, but the only thing on the list that I am not doing is burning a candle - what does that do??

As usual when I have a viewing, I took a 2 hour lunch to get everything cleared from my small kitchen, into the garage, to make sure there was no evidence of the cats, etc, etc. and...NO SHOW!!!! So my lights have been merrily blazing away all day, and the estate agent didn't even call me to let me know. These are the new estate agents, the ones that are recommended.

The other estate agents, booked a viewing tonight, and they have not shown up either.

I could understand it if my house looked awful from the outside, but it has a well maintained garden with flowers and shrubs - apparently good kerb appeal.

I was thinking maybe I should let it, but my friend who is in property says that the house is in such good condition, I really shouldn't rent it out...so I continue to jump through hoops for ungrateful people.
Old Sep 27th 2005, 8:31 pm
Forum Regular

Gone in 30 days will become famous soon enoughGone in 30 days will become famous soon enough

Please help!!!!!!!!!!.
Problems hmmmmmmm.

We sold our house a couple of months ago . All the searches and surveys are done but.... When I contacted the estate agent last week , the people who are buying the house of the people buying our house have not arranged their mortgage yet . We were expecting to be exchanging contracts this week but now who knows when . At least the car sale has gone smoothly so we will have no transport while we wait .

Good luck to you .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.