Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Joleah's thread about moving back to the UK

Joleah's thread about moving back to the UK

Old May 24th 2021, 11:12 am
Forum Regular

joleah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Joleah's thread about moving back to the UK

Anybody help me I'm new here lived in Canada 32 years don't think homesickness ever left have told my wife many time over the years not happy.Had the talk last night we are retired now so nothing. to stop us.
Old May 24th 2021, 11:30 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Joleah's thread about moving back to the UK

Originally Posted by joleah
Anybody help me I'm new here lived in Canada 32 years don't think homesickness ever left have told my wife many time over the years not happy.Had the talk last night we are retired now so nothing. to stop us.
Hi, welcome to BE.

I'll move your post in to a thread of your own so it doesn't get missed tacked on to the end of somebody else's.

If you can let us know what help/advice you're after, I'm sure somebody can help. We also have a Moving Back to the UK forum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/) which may be useful reading, that may be the best place for your thread, but let us know what advice you're after and I can move it if need be.

Best of luck to you.
Old May 26th 2021, 1:54 am
Forum Regular

DMajor is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Joleah's thread about moving back to the UK

The UK is a different place to the one you left in 1989.
Where do you live in Canada and where in the UK is home.
Old May 26th 2021, 8:39 am
Forum Regular

The move would be from Newcastle Ontario to the Lanarkshire area
Old May 28th 2021, 2:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

getoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DMajor
The UK is a different place to the one you left in 1989.
Where do you live in Canada and where in the UK is home.
I would also say Canada is a very different place than it was years ago, It has certainly changed since we arrived in 2007 and definitely not for the better. We have just had an offer accepted on a property in Looe, Cornwall for our return and retirement back to the UK. The cost of living in Canada is insane let alone property prices.
Old May 28th 2021, 2:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by getoutofbritainquick
I would also say Canada is a very different place than it was years ago, It has certainly changed since we arrived in 2007 and definitely not for the better. We have just had an offer accepted on a property in Looe, Cornwall for our return and retirement back to the UK. The cost of living in Canada is insane let alone property prices.
When you move back will your user name change
Old Jun 7th 2021, 5:12 pm
Forum Regular

Plan to go back next July for 3 weeks look at short term.rentals ......back to canada sell up and return to Uk nothing here no family..wake up everyday homesick not even close.........hate the hot summers and freezing winters....32 years and have always wanted to return...:
Old Jun 7th 2021, 5:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

getoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond repute

Plan to go back next July for 3 weeks look at short term.rentals ......back to canada sell up and return to Uk nothing here no family..wake up everyday homesick not even close.........hate the hot summers and freezing winters....32 years and have always wanted to return...:
We sold our property in Victoria and have had an offer accepted in Looe, Cornwall. We fly to the UK on the 18th July. We have had some great times in Canada but now think its the right time to return.
Good luck with your search.
Old Jun 8th 2021, 10:44 am
Forum Regular

When I move back to UK is there a waiting period for National Health benefits or will I need coverage
Old Jun 8th 2021, 11:01 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

When I move back to UK is there a waiting period for National Health benefits or will I need coverage
If you're just visiting, eg for 3 weeks looking at rentals, then you won't be covered by the NHS as you're not resident in the UK. You'll need to organise travel insurance for that period.

Once you've moved back to the UK to live, you will be covered immediately for NHS services.
Old Jun 8th 2021, 12:36 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you gratefull for help lots of questions but same when i came to Canada 1 step at a time
Old Jun 8th 2021, 8:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

OrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by getoutofbritainquick
So it is in may countries in the world.

If you're content with life in a more remote part of the UK, then the UK is the better choice, especially if you're looking at retirement and want to have a bit of history around yourself....

The biggest advice: Don't rely on the train services in your day to day routine in the UK, it has gotten way worse than you would ever imagine.
Old Jun 9th 2021, 2:32 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

I think Britain has changed way more than any one who has been away for 10 years or longer can believe.

I still can't quite believe that when I went back after my dad died 3 years after we had left the UK, I got lost in the centre of my home town

There had been so much redevelopment and re-routing of roads during that 3 years that I just stood there, lost. I did eventually find my way to the correct bus stop and got to where I wanted to go.

It was even worse when we were back there in 2001, plus the place was not anywhere I would want to live, nor in fact was OH's home town, a big tourist town but ......................

I just hope everyone who is so determined to go back, gets what they want and doesn't find it ain't what it used to be, nor are your friends and families the same.
Old Jun 9th 2021, 6:47 am
Forum Regular

Help please can we have our CPP and OAP transferred to uk.......does uk have tax treaty with canada......how does it work.??!?
Old Jun 9th 2021, 8:05 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/using-th...live-in-the-uk
and
https://www.nhs.uk/nhs-services/gps/...-a-gp-surgery/

Last edited by Siouxie; Jun 9th 2021 at 8:08 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.