Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Jobs whilst on Bunac

Jobs whilst on Bunac

Old Dec 21st 2008, 8:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

act1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to behold
Default Jobs whilst on Bunac

Hi everyone,

I am looking into doing the Bunac programme. I just have a few questions on jobs and salaries.

1 - How much would the following jobs pay: Waitstaff, retail assistant, bartender? I have looked on job sites but for some reason they do not advertise the salary

2 - Are the above jobs the only type of jobs I could expect to get whilst working on a Bunac visa? (Just double checking as this is what I have been told by a friend)

3 - In the current climate regarding the recession in Canada what are the chances that I would even be able to land such a job at this moment in time?

4 - Would I have to be in Canada before I would have any chance of getting work? I am assuming that trying to secure a job whilst still in the UK would be pretty difficult.

Apologises for all the questions, I just wanted to clear a few things up!

Thank you!!
Old Dec 21st 2008, 8:35 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Jobs whilst on Bunac

Originally Posted by act1980 View Post
Hi everyone,

I am looking into doing the Bunac programme. I just have a few questions on jobs and salaries.

1 - How much would the following jobs pay: Waitstaff, retail assistant, bartender? I have looked on job sites but for some reason they do not advertise the salary
Non will pay much more than minimum wage. Waiting and bar work is much the better as you can make a lot in tips. A good bartender can earn very good money.

2 - Are the above jobs the only type of jobs I could expect to get whilst working on a Bunac visa? (Just double checking as this is what I have been told by a friend)
It depends on what you have to offer. These are the easiest to get for sure.

3 - In the current climate regarding the recession in Canada what are the chances that I would even be able to land such a job at this moment in time?
I can only speak for the area I know about, but there is still quite a demand for workers in hospitality in the ski resorts and summer vacation spots.

4 - Would I have to be in Canada before I would have any chance of getting work? I am assuming that trying to secure a job whilst still in the UK would be pretty difficult.
It is much easier if you are here an an employer can see you in person.
Old Dec 21st 2008, 8:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

act1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by JonboyE View Post
Non will pay much more than minimum wage. Waiting and bar work is much the better as you can make a lot in tips. A good bartender can earn very good money.

It depends on what you have to offer. These are the easiest to get for sure.

I can only speak for the area I know about, but there is still quite a demand for workers in hospitality in the ski resorts and summer vacation spots.

It is much easier if you are here an an employer can see you in person.
Hi, thanks for the info.

What is the minimum wage in Ontario?

Many thanks!!
Old Dec 21st 2008, 11:23 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, thanks for the info.

Many thanks!!
http://www.labour.gov.on.ca/english/...de/guide_4.htm
Old Dec 29th 2008, 1:26 pm
Vanessa & Glyn

Location: Slough, Berkshire....Soon to be back in Halifax, NS (Born n raised Cape Bretoner!!!)
nessamj has a spectacular aura aboutnessamj has a spectacular aura aboutnessamj has a spectacular aura about

Hello act1980,

In addition to the info that has already been supplied, I think you might want to look in obtaining some long term temp work. Temp staffing agencies like Adecco and others operate very similarly to UK temp agencies and would provide you with not only a higher wage, but the opportunity for a perm position and potentially a work permit if you desire to stay longer. This is what I did in the UK and when my partner comes this spring from the UK to Canada, this is the router we are going to take.

Cheers!
Old Dec 29th 2008, 1:33 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, thanks for the info.

Many thanks!!
Be careful. Wait staff do not necessarily get minimum wage, either because their jobs fall into loopholes or because the bar owners simply don't care about the law. For example, two years ago one of my kids was offered $3 an hour to work at an Ontario branch of an American bar chain (min wage then seven bucks or better). It may be that she could have made enough in tips to make the job worthwhile but, in the event, she didn`t pursue it.
Old Dec 29th 2008, 2:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33 View Post
Be careful. Wait staff do not necessarily get minimum wage, either because their jobs fall into loopholes or because the bar owners simply don't care about the law. For example, two years ago one of my kids was offered $3 an hour to work at an Ontario branch of an American bar chain (min wage then seven bucks or better). It may be that she could have made enough in tips to make the job worthwhile but, in the event, she didn`t pursue it.
Another example, I worked in a bar downtown and the wages were $40 per 8 hour shift (also tax was deducted from the $40) which is no where near minimum wage. On a good day you'd make $100 in tips but some days it would be less than $20.
Old Dec 29th 2008, 7:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

live to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond repute

As for getting a proper job whilst on BUNAC....

....When we came over on BUNAC WP I got a "proper" job before we arrived. That said, I had worked in that industry for 2 years and had just finished a MSc directly related to the job.

I did spend at least 4 months before we came out applying for jobs, contacting employers, researching etc. so there was a lot of hard work behind that job offer.

Most companies prefer to see you here to prove that you really are coming. Having a Work Permit e.g. through BUANC is more attractive to them though.

Mr L2S tempted for a few weeks whilst applying still applying for "proper" jobs. Once here it was a lot easier for him to attend interviews etc.

Good luck.