Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

IT Jobs -salary question

IT Jobs -salary question

Old Dec 27th 2008, 2:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Caitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond repute
Default IT Jobs -salary question

Why do all the jobs on jobbank etc have 'to be negotiated' while every other profession seems to have set rates?

I'm confused. And its frustrating.

cheers
Deb
Yes, jobhunting
Old Dec 27th 2008, 3:29 am
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IT Jobs -salary question

http://www.itworldcanada.com/salaryc...alculator.aspx
Old Dec 27th 2008, 3:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Caitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you G77!
Old Dec 27th 2008, 3:00 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

There's such a large range of salaries even within the same job role within IT, that they don't like to publish them - otherwise you get people whinging that they saw job x the same as theirs and they're paid $20k more etc...

Therefore it's a bit of a cat and mouse game - you ask for what you want, but then you can't go in too high, but go in too low and you undersell yourself...
Old Dec 27th 2008, 7:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

nooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Caitilin
Why do all the jobs on jobbank etc have 'to be negotiated' while every other profession seems to have set rates?

I'm confused. And its frustrating.

cheers
Deb
Yes, jobhunting
It's not just IT. All the management jobs I have looked at have no salary. Very difficult to judge whether or not to apply for a role. I come from the NHS when negotiation is not possible (all centrally set) so it's very alien to me. I have to meet my prospective new boss on Monday to discuss terms and conditions - very tricky. I've used two salary calculators (monster and metropolis) and they came up with range of $60-$130k so not very helpful!
Old Dec 27th 2008, 9:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Iain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond repute

For IT it can be useful to browse jobs offered by the municipalities because they normally have a) very specific descriptions and, at least in BC, b) they are unionised so the salaries are also defined up front.

A useful yardstick, even if you have no intention of working for the city.
Old Dec 27th 2008, 9:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

But damn, it makes it hard to set a yardstick as to what I should be getting though! *Grins*

Thanks everyone!