Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Jobs in Ottawa

Jobs in Ottawa

Old May 20th 2009, 2:19 pm
Forum Regular

cousinsandra is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Jobs in Ottawa

Thank you, that gives a good idea of it. I personally would like to live in a bilingual area for myself and think it could be good for the kids to have another language, but my husband doesn't speak it , so it could be quite isolating for him. (although he is doing the Michel thingy CDs in his car every day!)
Old May 20th 2009, 2:20 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cousinsandra
we currently live in Swansea and there is a big public effort to get more people speaking Welsh. Many public sector jobs express a preference for Welsh speakers and children are taught it in school from Nursery up. It seems to be more to increase its profile and hopefully speaker numbers, but as you mention there don't seem to be many people who follow it through to any sort of proficiency - for example, many students drop it before GCSE. I have tried to investigate re. French in Ottawa but aside from official statistics, can't seem to get much info. I wonder if it's the same as the Welsh here - technically many people can speak some of the language, but practically it is not much used and rarely is the only language spoken?
You are right. Bilingualism is a spectrum. Few people are fluently bilingual and fewer still really need to be.
Old May 20th 2009, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by clynnog
Depends where you go in the greater Ottawa area...basically on the QC side it would be required for any job and is very useful in day to day dialogue with your neighbours and in shops...many people can speak english on the QC side (especially in Aylmer, Chelsea, Wakefield and Buckingham) but french would definately help.

In Ontario, drawing a line from about Gloucester to Cornwall, areas north of that line are quite french in day to day social and employment interaction. Places like Casselman, Hawkesbury, Alfred, Plantagenant are very french.
The Chelsea/Wakefield strip is more Anglo than Franco.
Old May 20th 2009, 2:52 pm
Islander

windward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to all

In Ontario, drawing a line from about Gloucester to Cornwall, areas north of that line are quite french in day to day social and employment interaction. Places like Casselman, Hawkesbury, Alfred, Plantagenant are very french.
You're not wrong. Got some odd looks asking for directions and some crap treatment in the emergency room in Hawkesbury - presumably due to my and the Mrs' anglo nature. Lovely place though.
Old May 20th 2009, 3:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

clynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by windward
You're not wrong. Got some odd looks asking for directions and some crap treatment in the emergency room in Hawkesbury - presumably due to my and the Mrs' anglo nature. Lovely place though.
Are you sure you are talking about the same Hawkesbury...I never thought it as a lovely place.

I had to make a presentation before the Town Council in Hawkesbury....I had my notes all written in french and after about a 2 or 3 minute speech by me, the Mayor (Maire) said I could do the rest en anglais as long as nobody in the Council chambers had an objection...which they did not to my relief.
Old May 20th 2009, 3:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

clynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Souvenir
The Chelsea/Wakefield strip is more Anglo than Franco.
yes, going up Route 105 there seem to be more Ottawa Citizen mailboxes versus those of le Droit.
Old May 20th 2009, 3:53 pm

yes, going up Route 105 there seem to be more Ottawa Citizen mailboxes versus those of le Droit.
We went up to Old Chelsea for lunch on Monday. It's very, very Anglo.

I wish I had the money to live there. Lovely little place and a decent pub.
Old May 20th 2009, 4:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Souvenir
We went up to Old Chelsea for lunch on Monday. It's very, very Anglo.

I wish I had the money to live there. Lovely little place and a decent pub.
Yes, that pub there is quite nice....not many 'pubs' in 819 as you have remarked before. I think Wakefield may have 1 or 2, but secteur Gatineau is decidedly pub free.
Old May 20th 2009, 6:07 pm

Yes, that pub there is quite nice....not many 'pubs' in 819 as you have remarked before. I think Wakefield may have 1 or 2, but secteur Gatineau is decidedly pub free.
It's very nice (I think t's been done up outside). There was a line-up for the patio. From the look of it, there is a new place abou to open a few doors down.

I'm only aware of one pub in Wakefield.