Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

IT jobs a nightmare to get

IT jobs a nightmare to get

Old Oct 31st 2006, 4:03 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IT jobs a nightmare to get

Originally Posted by Madmac
Hey this thread is 'spot on' to what I'm experiencing. Years in IT (even taught it) and can't get a foot in the door.

If a candidate has all the skills on the employers 'wish-list' then they deserve all the money that's on offer.

Oh, and everybody I've met has also mentioned the networking aspect - 80% of jobs are filled this way in Canada or so they say.

I'll just need to get that sandwich board out and walk up and down the streets.

Good luck.
Rather than a sandwich board I suggest the use of beer. Buy lots of beer for people who are established in the business.
Old Oct 31st 2006, 4:13 pm
Forum Regular

RecentLander is an unknown quantity at this point

A good british topic beer.

I noticed the imports (specifically guiness) costs a bit over here. But it's not the end of the world as the food is a lot cheaper.

Good luck to you too MadMac
Old Oct 31st 2006, 6:21 pm
Thinking the unthinkable.

Madmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Rather than a sandwich board I suggest the use of beer. Buy lots of beer for people who are established in the business.

Mmmmm, Beer I would just drink it myself but it's the best idea I've heard so far.
Old Oct 31st 2006, 10:28 pm
Guinness is good for you.

Airseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud of

It is possible that the adverts are for jobs that do not need to be filled, or do not necessarily exist. I often have an advert out looking for that right person (Programming). I could always argue that I need an extra member of staff. If that right candidate with all the skills ever does apply then I would interview them. I would then point out to the president of the company that a member of staff like this will likely not be seen again - lets get them while we can. Explain how it would help us o meet the ever growing requirement, and then look later when we catch up with everything (yeah that will never happen) who we want to lay off. I see a lot of great resumes but they are not the dream developer. I also keep a hot list - should a post ever come available these will be the first people that I contact to see if they are still in the market for a job. This was something that I could not do in the UK but appears to be standard practice here.

Originally Posted by RecentLander
Hi all as you can tell I'm a recent lander from the UK (been working in London the last six years) and I'm in search of some constructive advice regarding IT jobs in Canada.

I landed about two months ago and started my search in earnest for IT jobs primarily in Van BC (I know wishful thinking) but also all over the country with a lot of emphasis on Toronto.

Before applying and landing I looked at the number of jobs being advertised in order to determine the probability of finding something and the numbers were stacking up.

However I'm having a complete nightmare getting anywhere. Back in the UK (I know someone will tell me off for comparing) I was getting 2/3 emails a week asking me if I was interested in different IT contract jobs all offering good money. Part of the reason for this is that my CV stacks up pretty well, I've got 8 years experience with good name companies (all international and known over here) and my particular skills were in demand (and also seem to be over here but please read on).

So I looked at the move with a reasonably optimistic view (not blindly but reasonably). There was one thing however that did concern me when I was doing my research (and which is now causing me major headaches) was the seemingly inflexible attitude towards recruitment that seems to exist over here (at least in IT related jobs).

When I did my initial research on IT jobs when considering the move it seemed that for each job advertised employers had a long list of what they call "must have" skills for each job. i.e. Must know 6/7 particular programming languages plus used a whole host of other software tools in order to get a chance of the job. When I saw this originally I put it down to being an employers market (as it was at that time) and thus employers were being more picky.

I also took the view that it is very unlikely that these employers were going to find people with those unique blends of skills as the more "must have" skills they require the more unique the requirements become and thus limit the possibility of finding someone. Common sense would then dictate that an employer would have to re-evaluate their criteria and come up with another plan to achieve their goal of recruiting someone. However it is becoming apparent that common sense is dictating nothing over here.

Comparing this to the UK employers often look for maybe 4 core skills, and if then there are other periphery skills, they take a view of whether or not the prospective candidate would be able to learn those skills quickly enough and to a sufficient level of expertise in order to be productive.

The reason for this is that in the vast majority of cases in the course of an employees duties their role will require them to use the “4 core skills” about %75-%80 percent of their time to a relatively advanced level and only “dip into” the other periphery skills. Thus they don’t need to have 10 years experience in these periphery skills they either need to have had some exposure, or show the aptitude to learn them to the required level in a timely manner.

This is usually done by reviewing their CV and apply a simply rule of “do they have the core skills – yes then get them in for an interview to find out whether or not they have two heads or they seem like a reasonably intelligent person” .

Now I may get the response not all jobs have such unique lists of “must have” skills and have a more reasonable set of requirements. And I agree there are one or two around and some of them I have been an exact match for so I thought to myself “now’s your chance son apply for these you’ve got a good chance of getting them”. I then saw the jobs disappear off the job board i.e. they have taken in all the applications they need and are now considering them. So I hear nothing and thought “okay they probably found someone who was an even better match than me (there is always someone better no matter who you are)”.

Then two weeks later I see these jobs (and this has happened a few times now) re-advertised by the same recruiter i.e. they couldn’t find anyone they wanted. Then I thought “hang on a minute I was an exact match for the skills/experience I was at least expecting a chance of an interview”.

What is going on in this country???

Unrealistic employee requirements (I saw one today with 17 “must haves” very unique person that)

No willingness to even interview “good fit” candidates.

This is born out by seeing jobs being re-advertised such a lot.

I’ve seen some comments on other threads mentioning degrees as a deciding factor (I’ve only done a HND then went straight into a job). But in my experience of IT (some may argue this) that practical experience is infinitely more valuable than a dividing line between qualifications. I’ve worked with guy’s who left high school with limited qualifications but are absolutely brilliant and far outshine others with MSc’s and PhD’s and it is also visible from their CV’s and salaries. From my knowledge of the recruitment process this is considered each time by reading the applicants CV and making a comonsense judgement call on each applicant. I have had to review CV's for prospective candidates back in the UK on request of my managers and this is the method they used and asked me to use.

It seems to be very stuck on procedure/rules over here i.e. Must have a highly unique blend of 17 skills or you don’t even get an interview.

I know someone will respond with "well standards are higher over here", but I know that no one in the course of their daily job would have to have some of the in depth + massively varied range of skills that employers seem to be looking for unless everyone over here is a genius. If that was the case then Canada would be the world leader in providing intellectual skills .

Can someone explain what is going on here ?

I’m tempted to pack it all in and head back home. I’m still getting emails offering contracts at 400 quid a day back in the UK. It may well p@!s down all the time and the houses are expensive but at least I can get a job to pay for it.

I know I’ll get slammed with people saying how dare you complain after only two months but if there is no way to break into what seems like a restrictive market then it only leads to one conclusion you’ve got to put a roof over your head and how do you pay for it.
Old Oct 31st 2006, 10:54 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Airseir
It is possible that the adverts are for jobs that do not need to be filled, or do not necessarily exist. I often have an advert out looking for that right person (Programming). I could always argue that I need an extra member of staff. If that right candidate with all the skills ever does apply then I would interview them. I would then point out to the president of the company that a member of staff like this will likely not be seen again - lets get them while we can. Explain how it would help us o meet the ever growing requirement, and then look later when we catch up with everything (yeah that will never happen) who we want to lay off. I see a lot of great resumes but they are not the dream developer. I also keep a hot list - should a post ever come available these will be the first people that I contact to see if they are still in the market for a job. This was something that I could not do in the UK but appears to be standard practice here.
So to summarise from what I have been told so far by the contributors to the thread.

1) There are some jobs out there
2) However they may not be actively advertised and networks of employees/friends more often supply the demand
3) The jobs that are being advertised don't always exist and it could very likely be someone filling up a stock cupboard of CV's for when they might need them
4) It seems that you have to already be local to the job (if it exists in order to be considered as employers are wary of relocations - contract jobs excluded).
5) Actively approaching companies (even if they have no vacancies) seems to also achieve results as again they might put you in the resume cupboard for later on.

It certainly is different from the UK approach of "we need someone lets put an advert out and do some interviews".
Old Jan 20th 2007, 4:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

YYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Airseir

This used to be standard practice in Sweden, but not for the reasons you mention as much as it was more or less free advertising. With the high unemployment rate there (even truck drivers can't get work) having a job ad in the local paper or at the jobcenter keeps your company in focus and talked about.

I think the jobcenters caught up with the practice and weeded most of them out of the system.

So - it *could* be another reason.

I too agree with the networking suggestion given here as that seems to work, no matter where you live. It isn't so much what you know and more a case of who you know.
Old Jan 20th 2007, 6:52 pm
Forum Regular

little-beauty is on a distinguished road

Anybody know if RecentLander got his desired role, in the end?

LB.
Old Jan 20th 2007, 8:06 pm
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by little-beauty
Anybody know if RecentLander got his desired role, in the end?

LB.
My impression was that he moved back to Blighty.
Old Jan 20th 2007, 8:14 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by oceanMDX
My impression was that he moved back to Blighty.
Your right (well almost) I am back based in blighty but I'm doing a weekly commute to amsterdam at the moment (couldn't say no to the cash).

However over the last month I've had six emails from companies in canada starting with the text "Regarding your recent application we would like to discuss the matter further".

These were all jobs I applied for in the first month of landing Aug/Sep so that's about 4.5 months ago. My opinion of "recent" and the candian version of "recent" seem to be two very different things.

So be prepared all you new landers when other people say it can take a long time they are not lying.
Old Jan 20th 2007, 8:17 pm
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

^^^ .... so what are your plans for Canada?
Old Jan 20th 2007, 8:28 pm
Forum Regular

Probably won't go back.

Lovely place, people seem nice, jobs a nightmare.

jobs+money = quality of life (what house you can buy, what area you can live in, wether you can pay your bills) I don't want to earn bad money and live in a crap neighbourhood (yes even canada has them) just so that I can live in canada.

I can earn top dollar in the UK/Europe this gives me a good quality of life. Okay the scenary is not as nice but I can always go up to the lake district or back to my homeland (wales).

Why should I go back to canada - can't see a reason myself.

From what I can see I'll earn less and as a result my quality of life will reduce. I know loads of people will get all pumped up and say your shallow you only evaluate your life by how much you earn but they are completely wrong it's just the fact that you've still got to pay extra to have a nice place to live anywhere in the world and unless canada can offer me the same opportunities as blighty can to earn that nicer life then it's a no go for me.
Old Jan 20th 2007, 8:38 pm
mañana is my busiest day

Originally Posted by RecentLander
I know loads of people will get all pumped up and say your shallow you only evaluate your life by how much you earn but they are completely wrong it's just the fact that you've still got to pay extra to have a nice place to live anywhere in the world and unless canada can offer me the same opportunities as blighty can to earn that nicer life then it's a no go for me.
I don't think anyone here will criticize your comments since all your points are very valid. The only thing I found questionable regards your choice of Vancouver to look for employment in your field, when Toronto is where most of the action occurs. I know Vancouver is much prettier than Toronto, but like you just said.....
Old Jan 20th 2007, 8:40 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, in your case, I think you are right.

There is no reason for you to live in Canada unless you actually want to live there, and with the big bucks you say you earn in Europe, coupled with, I expect, good vacation allowance, you can most likely visit when you like anyway.

Good luck! (interesting that you are still checking out the Canadian boards though. )
Old Jan 20th 2007, 8:43 pm
Forum Regular

Just checking my email and got an auto note of an update on the thread that i thought would be long dead by now.
Old Jan 21st 2007, 8:29 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

That put your knowing wink in it's place Mo !?!?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.