JOBS IN N.S.

Old Apr 26th 2009, 11:20 am
Just Joined

scissors1212 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default JOBS IN N.S.

Hi
We are hoping to move to Bridgewater, N.S, in Aug. My husband is a maintenance engineer (millwright in Canada), and i was wondering if anyone else out there has had any luck with getting a job offer?

We've been there twice for a reccie, and made contact with numerous companies, but it appears no-one is taking on at the moment due to the recession. (michellin have a hiring 'freeze' until oct)

Has anyone still moved out there with no job lined up, in the hope of getting ANY job whilst living there? It's such a shame to be weeks away from getting our visas, and now there's no jobs!!!

Thanks in advance to anyone with any advice

Anita
Old Apr 26th 2009, 2:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Corky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: JOBS IN N.S.

Probably much easier to look for jobs once you are here. I would still put in an application at Michelin regardless of what they say. I would say try Bowater Mersey but they have just applied for Bankruptcy protection so not sure if they will be hiring for awhile. If you are going to be living in Bridgewater, why not have a look what Lunenburg has to offer. Try a the hospitals in the area...I will have a look and see what I can find.
Old Apr 26th 2009, 2:23 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Corky
Probably much easier to look for jobs once you are here. I would still put in an application at Michelin regardless of what they say. I would say try Bowater Mersey but they have just applied for Bankruptcy protection so not sure if they will be hiring for awhile. If you are going to be living in Bridgewater, why not have a look what Lunenburg has to offer. Try a the hospitals in the area...I will have a look and see what I can find.
Hi
thanks very much- we're in contact with michellin, hubby has taken the exam etc, just waiting now.

please excuse me for being naive, but should i be subscribed or not to threads? i haven't got a clue!
Old Apr 26th 2009, 8:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute

Check the settings in you profile but it's likely that if you contribute to a thread you are subscribed. If you want to watch a thread that you have not contributed to click subscribe. All that it means is that it will be highlighted on your screen and if you are set to receive notification emails of new post to subscribed threads you will.
Old Apr 27th 2009, 10:42 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by destinationnovascotia
Check the settings in you profile but it's likely that if you contribute to a thread you are subscribed. If you want to watch a thread that you have not contributed to click subscribe. All that it means is that it will be highlighted on your screen and if you are set to receive notification emails of new post to subscribed threads you will.
thanks for the info!
Old Apr 27th 2009, 10:53 am
BE Enthusiast

dormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to behold

Things are becoming a bit bleak on the employment front at the minute in NS, lots of maritimers coming back east from Alberta etc due to the stuttering economy and industry out there, causing a flood of job seekers. Can't really speak for the engineering business but I would guess that this would be heavily hit.
Old Apr 27th 2009, 3:55 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by dormy
Things are becoming a bit bleak on the employment front at the minute in NS, lots of maritimers coming back east from Alberta etc due to the stuttering economy and industry out there, causing a flood of job seekers. Can't really speak for the engineering business but I would guess that this would be heavily hit.
Hi Dormy
Thanks for the info, hubby is going to make some calls this week to see if he can get any interviews lined up for around June, and hopefully he'll get something. Fingers crossed!
Old Apr 27th 2009, 4:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

dormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by scissors1212
Hi Dormy
Thanks for the info, hubby is going to make some calls this week to see if he can get any interviews lined up for around June, and hopefully he'll get something. Fingers crossed!
good luck!
Old Apr 27th 2009, 6:44 pm
Forum Regular

Homegrown has a brilliant futureHomegrown has a brilliant futureHomegrown has a brilliant futureHomegrown has a brilliant futureHomegrown has a brilliant futureHomegrown has a brilliant futureHomegrown has a brilliant futureHomegrown has a brilliant future

If you are coming here without employment offers I would strongly advise that you base yourselves in the Halifax area because you will have a better chance at getting at least something while this nasty recession is on.

Bridgewater like many small towns in NS is a very nice place but employment opportunities are limited even in the best of times.

Many of the rural areas have economies based around forestry products and with the downturn in home construction and newsprint (both USA & Can.)
things are a little quiet these days.

Bridgewater and area has been affected by both the forestry and auto industry downturn. (the largest employer is Michelin Tire and they have had lay-offs)

Remember NS has a small economy (population about 940,000) so be prepared
to be flexible.

Good Luck to you.
Old Apr 28th 2009, 1:13 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Homegrown
If you are coming here without employment offers I would strongly advise that you base yourselves in the Halifax area because you will have a better chance at getting at least something while this nasty recession is on.

Bridgewater like many small towns in NS is a very nice place but employment opportunities are limited even in the best of times.

Many of the rural areas have economies based around forestry products and with the downturn in home construction and newsprint (both USA & Can.)
things are a little quiet these days.

Bridgewater and area has been affected by both the forestry and auto industry downturn. (the largest employer is Michelin Tire and they have had lay-offs)

Remember NS has a small economy (population about 940,000) so be prepared
to be flexible.

Good Luck to you.
Hi homegrown
Thanks for the advice- we are very flexible in what we do, and the good thing is that we won't have a mortgage, so i guess that takes a bit of pressure off, and allows us to take lower paid jobs. Michellin is the one we're waiting for!
Thanks again
Old Apr 29th 2009, 12:29 pm
has got PPR yay baby !!!!

deenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud of

hi ya my hubby is in the same field and has struggled to get anywhere all he gets is "when you live here let us know " "have you got your ticket" etc etc..
so now we have hadto change our plans and are moving to ontario instead as there seems to be a lot more jobs etc....
good luck with it all i know how frustrating it is xxxx
Old Apr 29th 2009, 2:28 pm
Just Joined

ianofthegulf is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by scissors1212
Hi
We are hoping to move to Bridgewater, N.S, in Aug. My husband is a maintenance engineer (millwright in Canada), and i was wondering if anyone else out there has had any luck with getting a job offer?

We've been there twice for a reccie, and made contact with numerous companies, but it appears no-one is taking on at the moment due to the recession. (michellin have a hiring 'freeze' until oct)

Has anyone still moved out there with no job lined up, in the hope of getting ANY job whilst living there? It's such a shame to be weeks away from getting our visas, and now there's no jobs!!!

Thanks in advance to anyone with any advice

Anita
Hello,
Have a look at Halifax Shipyard. They received a big order and have been advertising for a lot of skilled trades over the past two - three weeks. Check out www.careerbeacon.com. If you are looking to buy a home, let me know as I work with a lot of buyers and I know Halifax-Dartmouth.<snipped>. I'm an exPat myself and I understand relocating and getting settled, especially with kids. - Ian

Last edited by iaink; Apr 29th 2009 at 3:47 pm.
Old Apr 29th 2009, 3:46 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ianofthegulf
Hello,
Have a look at Halifax Shipyard. They received a big order and have been advertising for a lot of skilled trades over the past two - three weeks. Check out www.careerbeacon.com. If you are looking to buy a home, let me know as I work with a lot of buyers and I know Halifax-Dartmouth. Call me at <sniped>. I'm an exPat myself and I understand relocating and getting settled, especially with kids. - Ian

Welcome to BE, thats a good heads up.

There is a moderation queue for new posters posts to get approval..sometimes it takes a while and results in duplicate posts...

As you are a realtor let me lay out the ground rules before all the other realtors jump over this post as "unfare". Your collegues can be very touchy about other realtors posting contact details etc here

Please take the time to read the site rules, a link to your business in your sig file is OK, offering solicited advice (replying to threads) is OK, openly trolling for business tends to be frowned upon, posting links to your webiste within threads is not generally allowed (other than the sig file).

Thanks.

Last edited by iaink; Apr 29th 2009 at 3:49 pm.
Old Apr 29th 2009, 4:03 pm
Just Joined

ianofthegulf is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry, I was not meaning to troll for real estate business but as a British exPat who has gone through the relocation to Nova Scotia, I DO understand the issues people face moving to Canada and moving into Nova Scotia, in particular. I am also very open to just giving verbal advice without expecting any commitments to buying real estate. - Ian Wilson
Old Apr 29th 2009, 4:16 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ianofthegulf
Sorry, I was not meaning to troll for real estate business but as a British exPat who has gone through the relocation to Nova Scotia, I DO understand the issues people face moving to Canada and moving into Nova Scotia, in particular. I am also very open to just giving verbal advice without expecting any commitments to buying real estate. - Ian Wilson
No worries, just heading off trouble at the pass from some of the other realtors who post here. All good advice is welcomed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.