Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Jobs & locations - advice needed!

Jobs & locations - advice needed!

Old Jan 19th 2018, 10:01 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Jobs & locations - advice needed!

Originally Posted by Matt88
Are there any other drawbacks when considering working remotely before committing to the company and moving over?
One thing is that it's a remote working job, it may not qualify for PR purposes (as there would be no need for you to be based in Canada to do it). Fine whilst you're on your IEC, but something to think about if you may want to use the job to springboard to PR.

It will depend a lot on the role etc, but it's something to consider anyway.

HTH.
Old Jan 19th 2018, 10:17 am
Forum Regular

hh619 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
One thing is that it's a remote working job, it may not qualify for PR purposes (as there would be no need for you to be based in Canada to do it). Fine whilst you're on your IEC, but something to think about if you may want to use the job to springboard to PR.

It will depend a lot on the role etc, but it's something to consider anyway.

HTH.
Hi,

It wouldn't go towards Canadian work experience, but for PNP purposes, it would still count as a job offer? I can't see anywhere in the Job Offer stream which states you need to be present in Canada while going the OINP Job offer route? Correct me if i'm wrong of course!
Old Jan 19th 2018, 11:10 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

It wouldn't go towards Canadian work experience, but for PNP purposes, it would still count as a job offer? I can't see anywhere in the Job Offer stream which states you need to be present in Canada while going the OINP Job offer route? Correct me if i'm wrong of course!
You don't need to be present in Canada (although most are of course, as employers generally won't wait), but what I meant was that if your job contract states the location as 'remote', then it won't count, as it must be Ontario based to qualify for OINP.

If PNP is the way you want to go (is FSW/EE not an option?), then you might be better off looking at another stream that doesn't require a job offer i.e. the Human Capital stream etc.

HTH.
Old Jan 19th 2018, 11:22 am
Forum Regular

You don't need to be present in Canada (although most are of course, as employers generally won't wait), but what I meant was that if your job contract states the location as 'remote', then it won't count, as it must be Ontario based to qualify for OINP.

If PNP is the way you want to go (is FSW/EE not an option?), then you might be better off looking at another stream that doesn't require a job offer i.e. the Human Capital stream etc.

HTH.
Back to the drawing board!! I missed a key requirement for the Job offer stream "Have business premises in Ontario where you will work." They don't have one, nor intend to have one for the foreseeable future. Bit annoying, i quite liked the sound of this one!

EE is not an option due to education.. I have High school education only, which is not the equivalent to Canadian High school so I’ve been told! I’d likely be able to go via CEC EE , or Human capital stream after a year if my CRS points scrape the 400 mark.

Or i could stick to the Job Offer stream for another company
Old Jan 19th 2018, 11:26 am
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

EE is not an option due to education.. I have High school education only, which is not the equivalent to Canadian High school so I’ve been told!
It isn't. A Canadian high school diploma is equivalent to A-Level.

400 isn't a bad score at all for someone with no degree though. Definitely pursue other options but keep your eye on things. Last year the passing grade dropped exponentially because of the immigrant target figures vs the EOI pool. This year's targets are even higher so you never know.
Old Jan 19th 2018, 11:46 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
It isn't. A Canadian high school diploma is equivalent to A-Level.

400 isn't a bad score at all for someone with no degree though. Definitely pursue other options but keep your eye on things. Last year the passing grade dropped exponentially because of the immigrant target figures vs the EOI pool. This year's targets are even higher so you never know.
I'm not currently scoring 400... it was circa 384 IIRC, however, with the reduction of the Canadian High school or equivalent and 1 year Canadian experience + job offer i'm now at 386 but that's excluding spouse factors.. as can't add those in via Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) tool: skilled immigrants (Express Entry)

To be fair, my fiancee should score high enough if we get 1 years experience under our belts and then we could go the EE route.
Old Jan 19th 2018, 11:47 am
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not currently scoring 400... it was circa 384 IIRC, however, with the reduction of the Canadian High school or equivalent and 1 year Canadian experience + job offer i'm now at 386 but that's excluding spouse factors.. as can't add those in via Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) tool: skilled immigrants (Express Entry)

To be fair, my fiancee should score high enough if we get 1 years experience under our belts and then we could go the EE route.
Ah, sorry I didn't realise that score included a job offer.

Does your spouse have higher qualifications or anything?
Old Jan 19th 2018, 11:56 am
Forum Regular

Ah, sorry I didn't realise that score included a job offer.

Does your spouse have higher qualifications or anything?
Yeah she has a Degree. I've just re-checked the CRS point calculator and it appears she'd likely be able to get PR without any Canadian Experience.. Not sure what i've been doing wrong during my checks last year.

I think the main thing was proving her previous employment was NOC B and getting top marks on IELTS and then she gets 441

We definitely have options.. now the temptation to do this remote job is back
Old Jan 19th 2018, 12:35 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Yeah she has a Degree. I've just re-checked the CRS point calculator and it appears she'd likely be able to get PR without any Canadian Experience.. Not sure what i've been doing wrong during my checks last year.

I think the main thing was proving her previous employment was NOC B and getting top marks on IELTS and then she gets 441

We definitely have options.. now the temptation to do this remote job is back
Don't forget you would also get points for her education and language if she does IELTS - so that might take your 384 higher too.

But at 441 she'd likely get an ITA pretty quickly, so potentially it would be better for her to be the principal applicant.
Old Jan 19th 2018, 12:48 pm
Forum Regular

Don't forget you would also get points for her education and language if she does IELTS - so that might take your 384 higher too.

But at 441 she'd likely get an ITA pretty quickly, so potentially it would be better for her to be the principal applicant.
Yeah, going with my fiancee as the principal applicant would save $2000 on PNP costs..assuming all goes with NOC Group & IELTS!

If EE doesn't work out, we have the fall back of the job offer stream PNP and we have the freedom to go over whenever with our IEC's. I think it's all going to work out

I'll see if i get an offer from the start-up tonight, i think i'd likely accept it if it's good enough!

Going to need to talk with an accountant on the tax implications though!
Old Jan 19th 2018, 1:04 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Yeah, going with my fiancee as the principal applicant would save $2000 on PNP costs..assuming all goes with NOC Group & IELTS!

If EE doesn't work out, we have the fall back of the job offer stream PNP and we have the freedom to go over whenever with our IEC's. I think it's all going to work out

I'll see if i get an offer from the start-up tonight, i think i'd likely accept it if it's good enough!

Going to need to talk with an accountant on the tax implications though!
IELTS should be alright if you're British, fairly good with the science of the language and have a degree. I personally would have scored full marks if I hadn't been suffering from a cold on my test day which caused me to cough during some of the listening questions. Remember the test is predominately designed for people with English as their second language and they often understand how grammar and vocabulary actually works much better than we do because of how they were taught.

Just my humble opinion but I think it might be fair to say that we in the UK may get a slightly easier ride when it comes to NOC categorisation. It isn't completely unknown for people on this forum and others to have had their applications knocked back for applying under the wrong NOC though.

The important thing to remember is that job title means nothing and if you're between two jobs on the list then maybe go for the less fancy one. There's no difference between 0,A and B in terms of your potential success these days so don't make it harder for yourself than it needs to be. Having larger and more established employers on your work history might help as well but nothing is ever completely certain.

Last edited by DigitalGhost; Jan 19th 2018 at 1:07 pm.
Old Jan 19th 2018, 1:32 pm
Forum Regular

IELTS should be alright if you're British, fairly good with the science of the language and have a degree. I personally would have scored full marks if I hadn't been suffering from a cold on my test day which caused me to cough during some of the listening questions. Remember the test is predominately designed for people with English as their second language and they often understand how grammar and vocabulary actually works much better than we do because of how they were taught.

Just my humble opinion but I think it might be fair to say that we in the UK may get a slightly easier ride when it comes to NOC categorisation. It isn't completely unknown for people on this forum and others to have had their applications knocked back for applying under the wrong NOC though.

The important thing to remember is that job title means nothing and if you're between two jobs on the list then maybe go for the less fancy one. There's no difference between 0,A and B in terms of your potential success these days so don't make it harder for yourself than it needs to be. Having larger and more established employers on your work history might help as well but nothing is ever completely certain.
Thanks DG, good advice!
Old Mar 5th 2018, 5:40 pm
Just Joined

debbie2801 is an unknown quantity at this point

Based on the above figures, do you recommend any places to live near to those cities that match our criteria? We both drive, but we’ve heard the GTA traffic is horrendous. A 30-min max commute would be ideal.
We expect to have approx. £25,000 with the sale of our house and after clearing our debts. Would it be wise to pay £4-5,000 to ship our contents, which we are not even sure equate to the cost of transfer? I’m less attached to our belongings, by my fiancée would like to bring furniture, etc

We'd originally planned on Calgary but so glad that we changed our mind and moved relatively close...25 minutes outside of Halifax. So many positives, it's a small city that has everything we need, always somewhere to park and if there are 5 cars in front of you, it's a busy day. People are lovely, most things affordable, so much open space quickly out of the city. Downside, little public transport out of the city, so pretty much driving is a must. Having driven in and around Toronto, I would equate it to driving hell and 4-5 lanes of people overtaking, undertaking and tailgateing (?spelling). Forgive me Torontonians if I was just there on a bad day??

As mentioned, 25 minutes out of Halifax and living on a lake with acreage and 10 minutes from the ocean, now that would never have happened in the UK!! A slower pace of life in NS definitely when compared to Ont, Alb or BC but boy does it have it's upsides!

Re. shipping contents, it cost us 4kGBP six years ago and that was because I'd researched the cost of beds, sofas, tables etc. prior to coming - together with essentials like sentimental items.....However, i have to admit that having our stuff in storage for 8 months and rented, I missed very little of it......And then when in situ, you find more affordable stores, options. It's a weighing up of what you can't live without that has to come with you. The process to itemise each piece, label each box, have a list of contents and value etc for customs that was the hard part. Good luck with what you decide. And either way, Canada is fabulous and we're so glad we came!