Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Jobs & locations - advice needed!

Jobs & locations - advice needed!

Old Jan 9th 2018, 8:17 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Jobs & locations - advice needed!

Originally Posted by Shakyuk
Wow, I didn't realise, seems quiet excessive to be honest.
While Aviator can be a bit anal, it really was down to you to do the research before you emigrated.
Old Jan 9th 2018, 8:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

raindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
CRA get most of their tips anonymously, no doubt CIC has a similar system in place. As with anything, down to each individuals risk threshold and what they have to lose.
They do. In our previous province our anti-immigrant bigot neighbour reported me as falsely claiming PR and said I wasn't actually living in Canada. He didn't report my husband or our child, just me.

It was a nightmare, fortunately CIC were brilliant, very sympathetic and helpful, but it meant that CRA stopped our Child Benefit payments, my PR card was withheld pending investigation and I had to submit so much proof that I was actually living in Canada. It took a couple of months to sort out and was enough to convince me that I don't ever want to stray out of strictly above board territory in immigration matters. It was shocking how was it all happened too. Frightening really.
Old Jan 9th 2018, 9:09 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by raindropsandroses
They do. In our previous province our anti-immigrant bigot neighbour reported me as falsely claiming PR and said I wasn't actually living in Canada. He didn't report my husband or our child, just me.

It was a nightmare, fortunately CIC were brilliant, very sympathetic and helpful, but it meant that CRA stopped our Child Benefit payments, my PR card was withheld pending investigation and I had to submit so much proof that I was actually living in Canada. It took a couple of months to sort out and was enough to convince me that I don't ever want to stray out of strictly above board territory in immigration matters. It was shocking how was it all happened too. Frightening really.
Wow, what did you do to piss him off?
Old Jan 9th 2018, 9:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

raindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
Wow, what did you do to piss him off?
Complained to the police and the animal control bylaw officer after his dog jumped our fence, ran into our yard, up onto our deck and bit my leg when I stood in the way of our toddler who the dog was snarling at (apparently it hated kids), I had to have stitches. Lucky for the dog that our dog wasn't out, he's very protective of me. Apparently he thought a woman should know her place. Bah.
Old Jan 9th 2018, 9:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
The circumstances leading to a prosecution aren't obvious, you'd need to have an informed and mean spirited person shop you and then find a particularly officious government person to take action. Perhaps if you fired a babysitter in favour of the grandparents or were having a divorce, otherwise the risk seems a bit hypothetical to me.
Originally Posted by Aviator
It may be, but none the less a risk. For someone wanting to regularly visit Canada, or apply to immigrate, getting caught working illegally is not going to help their case.

CRA get most of their tips anonymously, no doubt CIC has a similar system in place. As with anything, down to each individuals risk threshold and what they have to lose.
In a case like this then where a report was written for someone working without authorization it would be CBSA appearing before the Immigration Division making the case and if the report is well founded then an Exclusion Order would be issued by the member and the person would have to leave Canada and could not return for 12 months.
Old Jan 9th 2018, 10:07 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Complained to the police and the animal control bylaw officer after his dog jumped our fence, ran into our yard, up onto our deck and bit my leg when I stood in the way of our toddler who the dog was snarling at (apparently it hated kids), I had to have stitches. Lucky for the dog that our dog wasn't out, he's very protective of me. Apparently he thought a woman should know her place. Bah.
It's unfortunate in those cases that usually it's the dog who suffers and not the dog's reckless and irresponsible owner.

Did he face any penalties for wasting the Immigration Department's time?
Old Jan 9th 2018, 10:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

It's unfortunate in those cases that usually it's the dog who suffers and not the dog's reckless and irresponsible owner.

Did he face any penalties for wasting the Immigration Department's time?
I know, and I hated that, its never the scumbag owners who have to suffer, but I couldn't have a dangerous dog who the owner wouldn't control coming into our yard. As it turns out the police gave him a warning, the bylaw officer offered me tea and sympathy but did nada except visit him and ask him to keep his dog on a lead or tied up on a long line - which she'd done a lot of times before with that guy.

As for wasting CICs time, I'm not sure, I heard that he was formally warned, as apparently he did the same to the other immigrant family on our street (dog biting biting the seven yr old on in their yard being the starting issue) but I don't know, by that point I was pretty sick of where we lived, and that was the proverbial straw. Where we live now in our new province is a world apart thankfully!
Old Jan 10th 2018, 6:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Shakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
While Aviator can be a bit anal, it really was down to you to do the research before you emigrated.

Thank you for your condescending 'contribution' but I have no reason to research this subject.

I didn't think it was anal, I asked for further information because I was interested in the logic behind such rules. Arguably you could say the purpose of this forum is to ask questions, and to seek answers is to research.
Old Jan 10th 2018, 6:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Shakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond repute

They do. In our previous province our anti-immigrant bigot neighbour reported me as falsely claiming PR and said I wasn't actually living in Canada. He didn't report my husband or our child, just me...
Complained to the police and the animal control bylaw officer after his dog jumped our fence, ran into our yard, up onto our deck and bit my leg...
What a spiteful person your neighbour was.
I can't believe they did so little about the dog, if you hadn't been between the dog and the toddler or hadn't got there in time, this could have been so much worse!
Old Jan 10th 2018, 8:48 am
Forum Regular

hh619 is an unknown quantity at this point

Is it just Downtown Toronto which is a nightmare in traffic? I've got 2 potential opportunities in the GTA. One is 2 min walk to Eglington station, the other is near Toronto Pearson airport and says it's in Mississauga.

I'm likely going to dismiss the Mississauga as the only affordable housing near to it is in Brampton. Are there any areas within a good commutable distance from Yonge & Eglinton, with affordable housing? Around the $2000 mark should be affordable for us. 3 bed full house.

I’ve also got an interview for the Halifax, NS role previously mentioned.
Old Jan 10th 2018, 8:49 am
Sidecar Falcon

I know, and I hated that, its never the scumbag owners who have to suffer, but I couldn't have a dangerous dog who the owner wouldn't control coming into our yard. As it turns out the police gave him a warning, the bylaw officer offered me tea and sympathy but did nada except visit him and ask him to keep his dog on a lead or tied up on a long line - which she'd done a lot of times before with that guy.

As for wasting CICs time, I'm not sure, I heard that he was formally warned, as apparently he did the same to the other immigrant family on our street (dog biting biting the seven yr old on in their yard being the starting issue) but I don't know, by that point I was pretty sick of where we lived, and that was the proverbial straw. Where we live now in our new province is a world apart thankfully!
Just out of curiosity, which provinces did you move from and to?
Old Jan 10th 2018, 8:58 am
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by Matt88
Is it just Downtown Toronto which is a nightmare in traffic? I've got 2 potential opportunities in the GTA. One is 2 min walk to Eglington station, the other is near Toronto Pearson airport and says it's in Mississauga.

I'm likely going to dismiss the Mississauga as the only affordable housing near to it is in Brampton. Are there any areas within a good commutable distance from Yonge & Eglinton, with affordable housing? Around the $2000 mark should be affordable for us. 3 bed full house.

I used to live in Y&E and Eglinton was my local station for my daily commute to work.

Y&E itself isn't cheap. It was at least at one time known locally as the Young & Eligible because of its heavy levels of gentrification and being one of the very few heavily built up and modernised areas outside of the Downtown Core.

I personally loved it there and found it to be very livable with local bars, restaurants and some decent supermarkets but you would struggle to find a cheap house around there and you can forget about cheap parking around the train station.

You might be able to find something within relative distance to North York, Finch or Etobicoke that will be within your budget but I wouldn't expect anything fancy or luxurious. Those areas also tended to have a very heavy Chinese immigrant population back when I was last there which will either appeal to you or not depending on your personal tastes.
Old Jan 10th 2018, 9:03 am
Forum Regular

hh619 is an unknown quantity at this point

I used to live in Y&E and Eglinton was my local station for my daily commute to work.

Y&E itself isn't cheap. It was at least at one time known locally as the Young & Eligible because of its heavy levels of gentrification and being one of the very few heavily built up and modernised areas outside of the Downtown Core.

I personally loved it there and found it to be very livable with local bars, restaurants and some decent supermarkets but you would struggle to find a cheap house around there and you can forget about cheap parking around the train station.

You might be able to find something within relative distance to North York, Finch or Etobicoke that will be within your budget but I wouldn't expect anything fancy or luxurious. Those areas also tended to have a very heavy Chinese immigrant population back when I was last there which will either appeal to you or not depending on your personal tastes.
Thanks DG

I'll have a look around those areas. We definitely do not want an area with an immigrant majority.. it kind of defeats the purpose of moving to Canada.

I wont be looking for any other jobs in the GTA after today.
Old Jan 10th 2018, 9:19 am
Sidecar Falcon

Thanks DG

I'll have a look around those areas. We definitely do not want an area with an immigrant majority.. it kind of defeats the purpose of moving to Canada.

I wont be looking for any other jobs in the GTA after today.
I wouldn't worry too much about the GTA tbh although it's easy to get stressed over it, I know from experience.

It has one of the highest costs of living in Canada but the wages tend to be decent to make up for it and the cost of living pails in comparison to London or even some other British cities like Edinburgh or Manchester these days.

It's a heavily populated immigrant city though (approximately 50% foreign born) and has a great level of social harmony from my experience however you do tend to find that a lot of residential areas will have one of kind of immigrant majority (e.g. 1 area particularly appeals to the Chinese, another to the Greeks, another to the Portuguese etc). It only tends to become an issue if you don't like one particular type of restaurant or supermarket.
Old Jan 10th 2018, 9:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Errr if you don't want to move to areas heavily populated by other immigrants then Brampton is probably a no go Perhaps Halifax might be a better choice if wanting to stay away from other immigrant groups in larger numbers although the locals might still refer to you as an Away From Homer being as you don't originate from Nova Scotia.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.