British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Jobs in Halifax, NS (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/jobs-halifax-ns-557980/)

halins Aug 28th 2008 3:37 pm

Jobs in Halifax, NS

I was just wondering what other expats think of Halifax, NS and how long it took them to settle and find employment?
I moved to HRM three months ago with the OH and I have found it to be quite a disapointment.

Since I have been here I have been unable to find fulltime employment. I have applied for numerous jobs since I arrived, mainly in the field of administration, and although I am educated and have a lot of work experience (from the UK) I have not had one interview yet.
Both HR professionals and employment counsellors have checked my cover letters and resume I am sending to potential employers and agree that its fine.

I have heard whisperings that people are unlikely to hire an expat until they have lived in HRM through the winter months, is this true? and could this be hindering my attempts at finding a job?

Any help, tips or hints would be very much appreciated.

AmyDavid Aug 28th 2008 3:55 pm

Re: Jobs in Halifax, NS

Originally Posted by halins (Post 6724205)
I was just wondering what other expats think of Halifax, NS and how long it took them to settle and find employment?
I moved to HRM three months ago with the OH and I have found it to be quite a disapointment.

Since I have been here I have been unable to find fulltime employment. I have applied for numerous jobs since I arrived, mainly in the field of administration, and although I am educated and have a lot of work experience (from the UK) I have not had one interview yet.
Both HR professionals and employment counsellors have checked my cover letters and resume I am sending to potential employers and agree that its fine.

I have heard whisperings that people are unlikely to hire an expat until they have lived in HRM through the winter months, is this true? and could this be hindering my attempts at finding a job?

Hi there. I am afraid I have no hints or tips re work as I look after my kids full time but I haven't ever heard about the winter months thing. Its not like it is Nunavut or something :)!

Have you called to follow up the letters/resumes you are sending in? Canadian companies are notoriously slow at sorting through things like this so you need to keep poking at them to get them to move things along.

Whereabouts in Halifax are you?

Paradisefound Aug 28th 2008 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by halins (Post 6724205)

Have you widened your net? or are you and just looking at Halifax because as most people on here say that they want to be in Halifax or around 30/40 mins away, then you are looking in an area with more competition. The NS NP CI stream help support people that want to be in the smaller communities whilst Halifax as no problem finding workers. These are just my thoughts, so I would widen my net unless you definitely want to be in Halifax.

Around 80% of the job market is hidden and they like to see face to face communication. Call at the places and get networking. There is also a lot of who you know in NS. Do you have residency? because that makes it easier for employers too. What areas of work are you looking at?

The winters here are mild compared to other areas of Canada so why would that be a problem everything carries on regardless unlike the UK.

Homegrown Aug 28th 2008 7:34 pm

The best advice I can give is if you can't get something in your field right away then take anything (within reason). Sometimes it's easier to get a job when you already have one.:thumbup:

smiges33 Aug 28th 2008 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by Homegrown (Post 6725041)
The best advice I can give is if you can't get something in your field right away then take anything (within reason). Sometimes it's easier to get a job when you already have one.:thumbup:

worked on that policy ever since i left school in 82. back in the thatcher years. only ever been out of work for 2 weeks and thats coming from newcastle upon tyne. if you have a job employers automatically assume you are willing to work

Judy in Calgary Aug 28th 2008 11:35 pm

Hello, halins, and welcome to the BE forum.

The advice you've received from other posters is spot on.

In addition to that, I suggest you read the BE Wiki article called Quick Job Hunting Instructions-Canada.

Also:
Hope that helps.
x