Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

JOBS IN CHILD CARE

JOBS IN CHILD CARE

Old Feb 15th 2009, 7:18 am
Forum Regular

tonyhelen is a jewel in the roughtonyhelen is a jewel in the roughtonyhelen is a jewel in the roughtonyhelen is a jewel in the roughtonyhelen is a jewel in the rough
Default JOBS IN CHILD CARE

Hi all my wife has worked in child care for 20 years as a nanny in Canada and UK in nurseries and now she is self employed as a childminder she would love to move to Canada as would i does anyone have any info on jobs in child care in Canada.

Tony.........
Old Feb 15th 2009, 11:55 am
Forum Regular

Deeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to all
Default Re: JOBS IN CHILD CARE

Hi,

Does your wife have formal qualifications?
Do you have a Province in mind?
Your wife would be eligble to apply via the Alberta PNP as an Early Childhood Educator.
Novia Scotia also seems to have a shortage, UK NVQ certificates are recognized there.
Jobs are advertised on http://seekers.jobbank.gc.ca/common-...onnection.aspx
You will need a job offer first or you are in for a long wait. Best bet is to read the Wiki ( blue bar at top of page). That covers all you need to know about the process - be warned you can't do it in one hit!
Good luck with your search.
D
Old Feb 15th 2009, 12:21 pm
Forum Regular

tonyhelen is a jewel in the roughtonyhelen is a jewel in the roughtonyhelen is a jewel in the roughtonyhelen is a jewel in the roughtonyhelen is a jewel in the rough

Thank you yes my wife has qualifications dating back 20 years they are city and guilds which however she has just completed her level 2 nvq and is now in the process of doing her level 3 nvq
Old Feb 26th 2009, 6:48 am
Forum Regular

indigoagain is an unknown quantity at this point

In Ontario, to work in a daycare centre, you would need an ECE diploma (not sure what the equivalent UK qualifications would be anymore, maybe NNEB?).

But anyone can be a home based childcare provider based on having no more than 5 children under the age of 8, plus their own children.

You can make quite a lucrative income from home based childcare, something to consider since employment at a daycare centre is not a well-paid job. A home based provider, self employed business, has been my choice of career since moving here, as I was a Childminder in England before the move to the GTA, and I had experience in running my own services.

Details for Ontario: http://www.gov.on.ca/children/englis...aboutchildcare
Old Feb 26th 2009, 11:24 am
Forum Regular

Thats good news thank you we will look into it some more i lived and worked in Canada for 3 years as a nanny still have friends there and would love to move out permenant.