Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Jobs in Canada

Jobs in Canada

Old May 7th 2005, 1:02 pm

michellegodfrey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Jobs in Canada

I noticed some people have applied for jobs before getting out to Canada - what are the best websites & what are the thoughts ?.....

We were hoping to get accepted, stay with cousins in Nova Scotia, then look for jobs, house etc..etc..

I work in IT Security, although not sure this is what I would like to continue to do long term once I get out what are peoples experiences ? also have no real certificates training only on the job
Old May 7th 2005, 6:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

seacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant future
Default Re: Jobs in Canada

Originally Posted by michellegodfrey
I noticed some people have applied for jobs before getting out to Canada - what are the best websites & what are the thoughts ?.....

We were hoping to get accepted, stay with cousins in Nova Scotia, then look for jobs, house etc..etc..

I work in IT Security, although not sure this is what I would like to continue to do long term once I get out what are peoples experiences ? also have no real certificates training only on the job
Don't bother applying for jobs while in the UK, it's a waste of time. I couldn't find an IT job in Toronto and I live here so it will be even harder for someone who resides abroad. My advice, network, network and network some more. It's definately more a case of 'who you know' rather than 'what you know' in Canada. You get jobs through friends and associates here and nepotism definately rules. Try and meet people in Canada with similar interests, sport, TV, music or whatever before you arrive, that will help. Then volunteer as soon as you arrive. That will instantly give you Canadian Experience and you may well find a job through other volunteers or workers.
Trust me, building up a good social network is 95% finding work here.
Employers will *always* give preference to someone they know or someone who is recommended to them. If you don't know anyone, you'll be at a massive disadvantage, however good your resume.
Hope that helps.
Old May 8th 2005, 1:17 am
Forum Regular

iwanttotalktoyou is an unknown quantity at this point

Job Bank of Canada

http://jb-ge.hrdc-drhc.gc.ca/Prov_en.asp?Student=false
Old May 8th 2005, 1:52 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Applying to ads is not realy your best bet, most jobs here are not advertised, so sending a resume and cold calling is one bet, but as seacreature says, netwoirking is the way to go, and thats tough if not in canada. I dont work in IT, but I hear that certification is pretty much a necessity, so you might want to take care of that sooner rather than later. Networking will get your foot in the door, but you may need certification to land the job as well.

Good Luck, and dont count on ads on sites like monster.ca and workopolis to find you a job. Personally I've never found the government job bank a lot of use, but you never know.
Old May 8th 2005, 4:47 pm
Forum Regular

oxocube is on a distinguished road

I used to work in IT security but decided it was not for me. I now work as network administrator. There are actually a couple of qualifications you can look at to do with IT security. There are a few security MCP's you can take for security planning and analysis with Microsoft (have a look at http://www.microsoft.com/mcp) and there is now a IT security qualification available which covers a lot more areas. I suggest contacting your local IT training centre such as Interquad for more details on it if you decide to continue in IT security. With the Mocrosoft qualifications they are the same around the world so it would be recognised in Canada.

Hope this helps.
Old May 8th 2005, 5:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

seacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by iaink
I dont work in IT, but I hear that certification is pretty much a necessity, so you might want to take care of that sooner rather than later. Networking will get your foot in the door, but you may need certification to land the job as well.
I don't necessarily agree with that. Knowing the right people is far more important than having certifications. You can land good IT jobs here without being certified if you're pally with the person hiring. As I say, it's all about who you know in Canada.
Often a good way into IT is to take a non-IT post within a company and then apply internally for an IT job after a few months. It's far easier to change jobs internally than to land a position from outside the company structure. I know the company I work for always tries to hire internally first, they don't even bother advertising, they just hire by word of mouth.
Personally I wouldn't waste the money getting certified as without contacts it won't do you any good anyway. I'm certified and it didn't matter one jot.
Get networking, if you get in with the right people they'll hire you whether you're certified or not.
Old May 8th 2005, 5:36 pm
Forum Regular

Quinn of Québec has a brilliant futureQuinn of Québec has a brilliant futureQuinn of Québec has a brilliant futureQuinn of Québec has a brilliant futureQuinn of Québec has a brilliant futureQuinn of Québec has a brilliant futureQuinn of Québec has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by seacreature
Don't bother applying for jobs while in the UK, it's a waste of time. .

Have to disagree with that idea; I am hoping to relocate to Canada at the beginning of August.

I did quite a bit of research and homework about how to find jobs in my field (even built myself a web site which would accelerate the time it would take to search for jobs each week). Having done this research I went to Canada for 2 weeks in April and, having set up quite a few interviews returned home with several job offers one of which I have happily accepted.

I can now relax a little and save all my stress for the actual organisation required to ship all my stuff over etc.

I mentioned on this forum that I planned to find a job before I moved to Canada and many people told me it was a waste of time - I (gladly) didn't listen and neither should you!

It's all about determination and perseverance. I found myself coming home from work shattered each day but still spending around 3-4 hours a night calling employers, searching web sites etc. It was exhausting but at least I can now say I have a visa AND a job waiting for me.

I wish you all the best and suggest you speculatively call a few human resource managers working for the type of companies you'd like to work for; approached in the right way most are happy to give some sound advice.

Let us know how you get on.

Q of Q
Old May 8th 2005, 5:41 pm
Yorkshire meets Vegas

Pretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond repute

Don't bother applying for jobs while in the UK, it's a waste of time.
I can't agree with that either. I got my job here through hard work, and I got it while I was still living in the UK...
Old May 8th 2005, 6:24 pm
Gone Walkabout

Scouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really nice

Originally Posted by oxocube
... With the Microsoft qualifications they are the same around the world so it would be recognised in Canada.
I would give this a qualified 'Yes'. I am an MCSE, but Canada does not recognise the 'engineer' part of this. I can understand where they are coming from, as no end of colleges in the UK turn out Microsoft Certified Systems Engineers every day, and many of them would struggle to turn a PC on.

Canada would prefer the E in MCSE to mean expert, not engineer. Personally, I couldn't give a damn what anybody calls me, as long as I can get some sort of a job....which at the moment, I can't.

I would guess that MCP, MCSE are only as well as type qualifications.....that is, "We are looking for somebody with a degree in XYZ as well as MCP/MCSE" etc.
Old May 8th 2005, 6:29 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Scouse
I would give this a qualified 'Yes'. I am an MCSE, but Canada does not recognise the 'engineer' part of this. I can understand where they are coming from, as no end of colleges in the UK turn out Microsoft Certified Systems Engineers every day, and many of them would struggle to turn a PC on.

Canada would prefer the E in MCSE to mean expert, not engineer. Personally, I couldn't give a damn what anybody calls me, as long as I can get some sort of a job....which at the moment, I can't.

I would guess that MCP, MCSE are only as well as type qualifications.....that is, "We are looking for somebody with a degree in XYZ as well as MCP/MCSE" etc.
I agree. The problem is that with such sites such as braindumps.com people are just getting the qualifications by learning the answers to the questions off by heart. Before getting my previous position I have seen MCSE qualified candidates not even get invited back to a 2nd interview as all they knew was the theory and did not have any experiance of 'Real world' IT experiance. Ahh nothing like the phone ringing off the hook when a server goes down to make you spill your morning coffee
Old May 8th 2005, 6:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Quinn of Québec
Have to disagree with that idea; I am hoping to relocate to Canada at the beginning of August.

I did quite a bit of research and homework about how to find jobs in my field (even built myself a web site which would accelerate the time it would take to search for jobs each week). Having done this research I went to Canada for 2 weeks in April and, having set up quite a few interviews returned home with several job offers one of which I have happily accepted.

I can now relax a little and save all my stress for the actual organisation required to ship all my stuff over etc.

I mentioned on this forum that I planned to find a job before I moved to Canada and many people told me it was a waste of time - I (gladly) didn't listen and neither should you!

It's all about determination and perseverance. I found myself coming home from work shattered each day but still spending around 3-4 hours a night calling employers, searching web sites etc. It was exhausting but at least I can now say I have a visa AND a job waiting for me.

I wish you all the best and suggest you speculatively call a few human resource managers working for the type of companies you'd like to work for; approached in the right way most are happy to give some sound advice.

Let us know how you get on.

Q of Q
OK, but what job do you do?
For *most* immigrants it's a waste of time as their skills aren't in high demand. Why employ someone in the UK when there are a thousand people in Canada who can do the job? I wouldn't and niether would 99% of employers. It's just common sense.

Also, people should bear in mind employers can only hire outside of Canada if they can reasonably prove that they can't find anyone suitable within Canada. That rules out most people straight away.
Old May 8th 2005, 6:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

cov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to behold

I think this is the key thing. I don't believe that there is any "one" right way to get a job.

If you have qualifications, that's great, that's a point in your favour.

If you have the experience to back up the paper, that's even better.

If you can get your foot in the door of a company (which appears to be the hardest part for immigrants), then providing you have the first two you should be ok.

Personally, I have a degree in computing, a few years experience as a software tester, and I'm gaining qualifications relating to my field as extra evidence, but I don't expect any of these to guarantee me a job when we move. Applying for jobs in Canada seems to be a different kettle of fish to applying for jobs in the UK. There appears to be a lot more leg-work involved...literally going to companies with a paper copy of your resume in hand and throwing yourself at their mercy. I'd imagine sometimes you get lucky, sometimes you don't. Although I haven't done it yet, so could easily be proven wrong, it's all about the attitude you go over with. If you go over with no leads, knowing no one, and expect someone to recognise how wonderful you are and offer you a high-paying job within 5 minutes of you entering the country, your chances are pretty slim, and you're bound to be disappointed and discouraged. If you network before you go over (and the Internet is a perfect opportunity for you to do this), and are willing to wear out your shoe leather traipsing from company to company, you will probably be more successful.

I'm not expecting anything to be handed to me on a silver platter, and if I have to start in the mailroom and work my way up, I'm quite willing to do so. Personally, I think it's this kind of attitude that makes the transition easier than those who expect to relocate and take a position similar to one they left, or better.
Old May 8th 2005, 6:40 pm
Gone Walkabout

Scouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really nice

Originally Posted by oxocube
I agree. Nothing like the phone ringing off the hook when a server goes down to make you spill your morning coffee
Or your breakfast!!
Old May 8th 2005, 6:43 pm
Forum Regular

Quinn of Québec has a brilliant futureQuinn of Québec has a brilliant futureQuinn of Québec has a brilliant futureQuinn of Québec has a brilliant futureQuinn of Québec has a brilliant futureQuinn of Québec has a brilliant futureQuinn of Québec has a brilliant future

people should bear in mind employers can only hire outside of Canada if they can reasonably prove that they can't find anyone suitable within Canada. That rules out most people straight away.
-that only applies if you are talking about someone who hasn't been awarded a PR visa. Once you have that, then the human resource Canada rules don't apply as technically you count as a Canadian.

I first started looking for jobs right at the beginning of my application for a visa and yes, I was indeed told that it would be too much hassle for the employers BUt this ALL CHANGES once you have been awarded your visa EVEN if you haven't landed yet . . .worked for me!

Why employ someone in the UK when there are a thousand people in Canada who can do the job? I wouldn't and niether would 99% of employers. It's just common sense..
Why??? well it depends on how well you market yourself doesn't it? - if you can make yourself look more appealing than the "thousand people in Canada" then you're in business aren't you?

I was offered 4 jobs but it was a result of very hard work and preparation for months prior to my job seeking trip.

I say give it a go michelle at worst you will lose a bit of time and energy whilst at best you could have the security of a job before you board the plane on the day you relocate.

Q of Q
Old May 8th 2005, 6:51 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Scouse
Or your breakfast!!
Geez what sort of IT have you worked in where there is time for breakfast? we just go for 2 hour lunches and transfer our phones to voicemail

Everything I ever learned in IT was from http://www.theregister.co.uk/odds/bofh/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.