IT jobs

Old May 26th 2016, 3:46 pm
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Photoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IT jobs

Originally Posted by dbd33
The general wisdom in the industry is that there are always more jobs in the GTA and that Calgary is having a recession, increasing the disparity. Still a person usually only needs one job so, if there is one in Calgary, and one fancies living in Calgary, that's enough.

Are there advantages to Calgary over the GTA in general? Less traffic, better rodeos, something like that?
More jobs? It's a larger market. Are you really surprised a market with 7m people has more jobs than one with 1m people? I have some magic beans for sale if you're interested...

Better paid? Hahaha. Now that's funny.

Here's a few more to add to the list:
* not living with 7m other people
* not living in the worlds most indebted sub-sovereign borrower (twice the debt of California I believe)
* Doorstep access to the Rockies
* No PST

I could go on...
Old May 26th 2016, 4:02 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Photoplex
More jobs? It's a larger market. Are you really surprised a market with 7m people has more jobs than one with 1m people? I have some magic beans for sale if you're interested...

Better paid? Hahaha. Now that's funny.

Here's a few more to add to the list:
* not living with 7m other people
* not living in the worlds most indebted sub-sovereign borrower (twice the debt of California I believe)
* Doorstep access to the Rockies
* No PST

I could go on...
So the advantage of Calgary is that it's a small town near mountains. The advantage of Toronto is that it's bigger with more jobs.

I didn't see a reference to pay rates in the previous posts so I don't know which one you think is better in that regard; I'd expect property to be cheaper in Calgary and that that is more important than income differences. There are differences in sales taxes and probably income taxes as well but, again, if your house is ruinously expensive, those are details.
Old May 26th 2016, 4:44 pm
Just Joined

klogd has a reputation beyond reputeklogd has a reputation beyond reputeklogd has a reputation beyond reputeklogd has a reputation beyond reputeklogd has a reputation beyond reputeklogd has a reputation beyond reputeklogd has a reputation beyond reputeklogd has a reputation beyond reputeklogd has a reputation beyond reputeklogd has a reputation beyond reputeklogd has a reputation beyond repute

Even with a 1/7 or 1.2/6 population ratio my searches seem to have a 1/25 - 1/15 ratio, but then again GTA might be better for software development for obvious reasons.

I'm pretty sure I'd hate living in Toronto, my own personal hell is going into London (or even Cambridge city centre).. people EVERYWHERE.

The PST and being close to Banff and other awesome places is definitely a big plus.

Housing prices in Calgary is a big selling point for me, I could never buy a nice place where I'm currently living, I just mentally can't bring myself to spend this amount of money on a shitty British apartment:
Spoiler:
Old May 26th 2016, 5:17 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by klogd
Even with a 1/7 or 1.2/6 population ratio my searches seem to have a 1/25 - 1/15 ratio, but then again GTA might be better for software development for obvious reasons.

I'm pretty sure I'd hate living in Toronto, my own personal hell is going into London (or even Cambridge city centre).. people EVERYWHERE.

The PST and being close to Banff and other awesome places is definitely a big plus.

Housing prices in Calgary is a big selling point for me, I could never buy a nice place where I'm currently living, I just mentally can't bring myself to spend this amount of money on a shitty British apartment:
Well, that's a pretty shitty Canadian house, a tract house with griege siding crammed next to 100 identi-houses with a view of yet more tract houses, good for fifteen years or so if there aren't any storms or fires. That's the sort of place the Talking Heads used to make records about.

I think you'd have to be moving from somewhere a lot rougher than the flat shown before that house would be attractive, Somalia perhaps.
Old May 26th 2016, 8:17 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Well, that's a pretty shitty Canadian house, a tract house with griege siding crammed next to 100 identi-houses with a view of yet more tract houses, good for fifteen years or so if there aren't any storms or fires. That's the sort of place the Talking Heads used to make records about.

I think you'd have to be moving from somewhere a lot rougher than the flat shown before that house would be attractive, Somalia perhaps.
Nice analogy - which one though,
Road to nowhere?
In motion?
On fire?
Swamp?
Heaven?
or This must be the place?

No offence dbd but there were some real sheds that were being discussed on line on a thread a bit ago in your neck of the woods- yes, they had the acreage but didn't look fit for pigs let alone horses. You need that land, some don't- they like the snuggly closeness.

Last edited by Stinkypup; May 26th 2016 at 8:22 pm.
Old May 26th 2016, 9:07 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
Nice analogy - which one though,
Road to nowhere?
In motion?
On fire?
Swamp?
Heaven?
or This must be the place?

No offence dbd but there were some real sheds that were being discussed on line on a thread a bit ago in your neck of the woods- yes, they had the acreage but didn't look fit for pigs let alone horses. You need that land, some don't- they like the snuggly closeness.
The Big Country.

And I'm actually an urban person, I don't mind small houses closely packed. I'm just not a soulless plastic wasteland type of guy. The house pictured could be in Mississauga.
Old May 27th 2016, 12:19 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

The Big Country.

And I'm actually an urban person, I don't mind small houses closely packed. I'm just not a soulless plastic wasteland type of guy. The house pictured could be in Mississauga.
Is Mississauga that bad?
Damn ... despite all my suggestions, I still got the wrong song
Old May 27th 2016, 1:31 am
Assimilated Pauper

Is Mississauga that bad?
It's a town of three halves. The south is older affluent suburbs, the north, former farmland, is treeless flat expanses covered in dense packed houses of the type shown. There's provision for shopping in the form of some malls. The major highways through Mississauga are lined with light industrial developments and some discount malls. It's not bad, it's just cheap housing, the miners' cottages of this century. Looking at the "before" pictures of Fort McMurray, it looked the same so, at least, the fire didn't do any aesthetic damage.

Last edited by dbd33; May 27th 2016 at 1:34 am.
Old Jun 4th 2016, 12:36 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Is Mississauga that bad?
Not really, but what is the point of moving from the UK to Mississauga? You might as well move to Slough.
Old Jun 4th 2016, 1:22 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Steve_
Not really, but what is the point of moving from the UK to Mississauga? You might as well move to Slough.
You get more consumer durables in Mississauga than in Slough and that, typically, is the core reason for moving to anywhere in Canada. Mississauga, Cochrane, Fall River, Coquitlam, none of them is routinely confused with Shangri-La.
Old Jun 4th 2016, 1:39 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Cochrane is a lot bloody closer to it than Mississauga and Slough though.

Wasn't Legends of the Fall shot in Cochrane? Don't see that happening in Slough.
Old Jun 4th 2016, 3:29 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Is Mississauga that bad?
Damn ... despite all my suggestions, I still got the wrong song
Watch the video in my post here: http://britishexpats.com/forum/canad.../#post11790271
Old Jun 4th 2016, 5:48 am
I need a walk

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Thanks Siouxie,
Interesting to learn about other places. Probably not for me, I'm not a city pup- I love a slightly more rural outlook. I could see very few /if any park or large green areas. Are there any I wonder? There are some very handy shops I suppose, and an Imax. Canon service centre is there and I had to send mine in for repair so that's a bonus if local
Old Jun 4th 2016, 12:21 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Thanks Siouxie,
Interesting to learn about other places. Probably not for me, I'm not a city pup- I love a slightly more rural outlook. I could see very few /if any park or large green areas. Are there any I wonder? There are some very handy shops I suppose, and an Imax. Canon service centre is there and I had to send mine in for repair so that's a bonus
Not really, there's some green along the lake but the basic idea of a suburb is that you drive one way from it for work and the other way for grass. Mississauga is built on farmland and, for decades, its tax strategy has been based on revenue from lot levies; charges for converting more and more fields to concrete.

Last edited by dbd33; Jun 4th 2016 at 12:24 pm.
Old Jun 7th 2016, 1:29 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

I rest my case: https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/201...tion-boom.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.