Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

The job you take when you get there

Wikiposts

The job you take when you get there

Old Jan 5th 2006, 8:25 am
BE Enthusiast

scribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of light
Default The job you take when you get there

I guess this is a question or two to people who have already made the move, or people who have job offers:

What jobs did you take when you made it to Canada? Did you keep working in the same type of job that you had in the UK (or wherever you called home before the move)?

I ask because dbd33 made a point that the place I have first picked to research will have less jobs in my field than other parts of the country. That doesn't mean that it's impossible to get a good high paid job where I am looking, but I thought to myself "Would I do something else?"

I'm not sure to say yes or know to that question. Staying in my sector gives me knowledge of what my working environment will be like, the type of work I will do, that salary I can expect and the prospects that will lie ahead of me. Trying my hand at something else will take that knowledge away, and that's a big mental safety net to remove.

Just wondering what your chosen path was, do what you know, or try something new?

Cheers

Chris
Old Jan 5th 2006, 9:08 am
sticky beaking

R2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: The job you take when you get there

Originally Posted by chrisparr
I guess this is a question or two to people who have already made the move, or people who have job offers:

What jobs did you take when you made it to Canada? Did you keep working in the same type of job that you had in the UK (or wherever you called home before the move)?

I ask because dbd33 made a point that the place I have first picked to research will have less jobs in my field than other parts of the country. That doesn't mean that it's impossible to get a good high paid job where I am looking, but I thought to myself "Would I do something else?"

I'm not sure to say yes or know to that question. Staying in my sector gives me knowledge of what my working environment will be like, the type of work I will do, that salary I can expect and the prospects that will lie ahead of me. Trying my hand at something else will take that knowledge away, and that's a big mental safety net to remove.

Just wondering what your chosen path was, do what you know, or try something new?

Cheers

Chris
In our instance hubbys field of work is related to the oil and Gas industry, therefore Alberta was our chosen desination due the work opportunities there.
We do often wonder what other areas would be like for us, but you have to start somewhere, and we had a good well paid job to come to..............so that was it really.
Old Jan 25th 2006, 10:25 am
Forum Regular

happylandings has a brilliant futurehappylandings has a brilliant futurehappylandings has a brilliant futurehappylandings has a brilliant futurehappylandings has a brilliant futurehappylandings has a brilliant futurehappylandings has a brilliant future

Cheers

Chris
Hi Chris,

We did a recce to Calgary in June 05, met some Brits who took jobs outside their field to get started - e.g. a 'Stonemason' who worked in a garage...! But he made good contacts through the garage, networked, met local people etc. so, a good way in, I guess. He didn't mind doing another job, as he was working towards his goal. Remember, it should only be temporary and if you're determined and motivated enough, you'll get what you want.

For many jobs, you need local registration which can take time to complete. You should check out the 'Trade magazine' in your field in Canada, or in fact your chosen Provence - what do you need to enter, who are the 'big players' in your field, can you work part-time in your field to begin, then expand, etc.

I'm a Hearing Aid Audiologist UK, but may have to keep the fires going with something else, till I can register and 'step inside the circle' in Canada.

All The Very Best.

Colin.
Old Jan 25th 2006, 12:08 pm
Guinness is good for you.

Airseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud of

Yes I did keep working in the same type of Job - almost identical job but a lot better package (I was in Public Sector now in Private sector). From Managerial post to Managerial post in the IT business in Kamloops.

People told me I would be lucky to find IT work here but it was here i wanted to move to so I just had to look harder. My philosophy was that if I was doing this I was moving where I wanted to go not where I was told I would find work.

The hard part is finding good staff - it took two months last time I needed to hire a programmer and I now want two more.

Cheers

Chris
Old Jan 25th 2006, 3:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

crazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant future

It took me 3 weeks to find work - first as a temp in Administration and then after 3 weeks I got a permanent job in my own field of Accounting. It took hubby 8 months though, as his managerial experience put a few of the employers off - in Winnipeg they like to recruit from entry level (or so we've been told by some companies who turned him away!) A bit of a dissapointment but you can't win them all! He's now working in IT working 12 hr shifts, some days, some nights, but for the area the money isn't too bad and between us we earn a fair wage and can live very comfortably.
Old Jan 25th 2006, 5:34 pm
Forum Regular

Sunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of light

Hi,
It took my husband 3 months to find a job in the same field.
3 years later I am still unemployed in Canada, but I can earn 800 pounds per week in the U.K. which is where I was working up until my accident.
Currently now unemployable in either country. Not a happy place to be.
Thankful however that the accident/insurance claim arose from the U.K.
Best Regards.
Old Jan 26th 2006, 6:41 am
Forum Regular

Hudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really nice

Anyone coming here without employment or a desire to carry on a UK profession could do a lot worse than looking at Franchise opportunities. Most of the well known franchises are a licence to print money if you are prepared to invest money, time and energy.
The research can all be done UK end, it may help choose location to live and it will certainly mean you will hit the ground running, both in terms of income and motivation.
Anyone who is prepared to set aside a decent living fund for a family to get through the first years job hunt, settling, cars big home etc would be well advised to look at a decent franchise and maybe get a smaller house to start. Many Franchises are designed with support and training to get you up and viable double quick.
I wish I had done & researched it back home instead of farting around for over a year now. As both the security of longterm income and the "structure" and drive having your own business are useful tools to integrating and becoming a successfully settler.