Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Job search help please for Engrs/technicians?

Job search help please for Engrs/technicians?

Old Sep 25th 2013, 1:06 pm
Forum Regular

Goke is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Job search help please for Engrs/technicians?

Thanks everyone for your responses. They have been really insightful. We are now looking on indeed.ca for engineering jobs for him. Is there any other sites that would be more favourable in terms of engineering roles? Or is that the best one. Any ideas who's recruiting? you never know who's reading these forums, right?

Thanks again all for the advise and suggestions.
Much appreciated.
Old Sep 25th 2013, 1:59 pm
Forum Regular

smivers is on a distinguished road

APEGA has a job board on their website.
Old Sep 25th 2013, 3:02 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johntheScot
apply for engineer's positions, there is a wider gap here in what they class as engineer's work and technicians work and can be a significant difference in wage between the 2. You don't want them getting you on the cheap!

i was in the same position all engineers positions require PEng, cant apply for your PEng until you have a year of Canadian experience. so i applied for tech positions had an interview and received an offer as an engineer. i cannot call myself an "engineer" so on my card and any correspondence i use designer instead of engineer.
That was good info for those going down the same road

John, to help the OP one more step, would you mind sharing with us if you eventually made it to P.Eng or had submitted an application & the basis that you have - how have you found the process?
Old Sep 25th 2013, 6:26 pm
Banned

Beaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Goke
Thanks everyone for your responses. They have been really insightful. We are now looking on indeed.ca for engineering jobs for him. Is there any other sites that would be more favourable in terms of engineering roles? Or is that the best one. Any ideas who's recruiting? you never know who's reading these forums, right?

Thanks again all for the advise and suggestions.
Much appreciated.
workopolis website

worleyparsons has a job website

propak in airdrie were hiring in weekend newspaper
Old Sep 25th 2013, 6:30 pm
Forum Regular

Goke is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Beaverquest
workopolis website

worleyparsons has a job website

propak in airdrie were hiring in weekend newspaper
Brilliant. Thanks Beaverquest. I will check those out.
Old Sep 25th 2013, 9:25 pm
pkc
Forum Regular

pkc will become famous soon enough

www.hgcareers.com
Engineering is one of the job categories on this site
Old Sep 26th 2013, 3:33 am
Forum Regular

johntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old
That was good info for those going down the same road

John, to help the OP one more step, would you mind sharing with us if you eventually made it to P.Eng or had submitted an application & the basis that you have - how have you found the process?
i am currently an applicant my degree is not recognized under the Washington accord so i will have to do an academic assessment with the current processing time with my association it will take 12-18 months to clear that then i have to do the ethics exam which they only run twice a year and requires you to register 3 month ahead of time so that's another 6 months so realistically i am 2 years away from my Peng having started the process 6 months ago as it took months to get the required info out of my university.

i did not think it would take so long so did not get on to it straight away when i arrived as i had to have 1 years Canadian experience so did not look at applying till i was here over 1 year. this was a mistake and i could have been less than a year away from my PEng now.

as the op is a ceng chances are his degree is covered under the accord if he did a Beng Meng accredited for Ceng then he should be good. if however he did alternative route such as a hnd then topped up to a beng this would not be covered under the accord and would require assessment as would a bsc/technical msc combo which satisfied charted requirements but is not covered under the accord.

there are also various experience reports to be done similar to what the op did for his ceng blow the dust off them and write one more for your years Canadian and you are good.

if you have the correct degree you only need 4 years of the vaguely related engineering experience to qualify as a peng guys graduate work 4 years as an estimator/project co-ordination for a contractor 0 design experiences and they get their stamp. the requirements seem a lot easier than that of ceng in the uk

so in summary in the degree is good you can get your peng after a year and you should have no problems at all. wrong degree and its a 18-30 month process based on sask engineers times as they are overwhelmed with foreign applicants and cannot process the volume of applicants in a reasonable time frame.

also the Peng process is similar but different in all provinces same with the academic assessment a class mate of mine from uni same degree got her peng with not academic assessment in BC but that makes no odds to the organisation in sask.