Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Job Offer Rescinded (Nursing)

Job Offer Rescinded (Nursing)

Old Mar 4th 2010, 8:05 pm
Forum Regular

jeff2679 is a jewel in the roughjeff2679 is a jewel in the roughjeff2679 is a jewel in the roughjeff2679 is a jewel in the roughjeff2679 is a jewel in the rough
Default Job Offer Rescinded (Nursing)

What is going on with the Job market for foreign Nurses looking for work in BC, A friend of mine who was due to move out here in the summer just had his job offer Rescinded. Also what will happen to his Resident permit which is almost complete, just the medical left, can they move out here and look for another Job based on his resident status when they are all done with it.

Thanks
Old Mar 4th 2010, 8:51 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job Offer Rescinded (Nursing)

Originally Posted by jeff2679
What is going on with the Job market for foreign Nurses looking for work in BC, A friend of mine who was due to move out here in the summer just had his job offer Rescinded. Also what will happen to his Resident permit which is almost complete, just the medical left, can they move out here and look for another Job based on his resident status when they are all done with it.

Thanks
what sort of status, what sort of visa or permit does he hold ?
Old Mar 4th 2010, 8:59 pm
Forum Regular

jeff2679 is a jewel in the roughjeff2679 is a jewel in the roughjeff2679 is a jewel in the roughjeff2679 is a jewel in the roughjeff2679 is a jewel in the rough

Well they had a work permit, but wanted to move out here on a resident permit before the job offer was withdrawn, so they did not have the chance to actually use the work permit.

Thanks
Old Mar 4th 2010, 9:09 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeff2679
Well they had a work permit, but wanted to move out here on a resident permit before the job offer was withdrawn, so they did not have the chance to actually use the work permit.

Thanks
Do you mean PR when you say resident permit? If so, then yes. If/when your friend gets PR s/he can land then look for work.
Old Mar 4th 2010, 9:13 pm
Forum Regular

Yes I mean Permanent Residency.

Thanks
Old Mar 4th 2010, 9:57 pm
Forum Regular

Psyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to all

Holy C***., We are nurses heading for BC, just had medicals. Who was your friends 'employer to be'? We're in the middle of packing our lives into boxes.
Old Mar 4th 2010, 10:23 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Why was the job offer rescinded?

Was it because the person had a valid work permit but would not move to BC to start the job?
Old Mar 4th 2010, 10:32 pm
Forum Regular

The offer was withdrawn due to union pressure on hospitals to recruit Newly qualified Nurses in BC first before recruiting from abroad..
Old Mar 4th 2010, 11:56 pm
Banned

bsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond repute

We have friends who are out here nursing on temp work visas. They have permanent positions, but the word going around is that the Feds aren't renewing temp work visas for foreign nurses because there's now a surplus of (domestic) grads looking for work. Don't know any more than that.
Old Mar 5th 2010, 1:31 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Psyched
Holy C***., We are nurses heading for BC, just had medicals. Who was your friends 'employer to be'? We're in the middle of packing our lives into boxes.
I know of some (TWP) applicants (in AB) that had their offers rescinded but those that were too far along the process still had the jobs waiting for them but with less chance of being made into a permanent position and then less chance of being able to apply for PR.

Not sure of all the ins and out as it was so and so said this had happened to so and so type thing.
Old Mar 5th 2010, 2:21 am
Banned

bsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
I know of some (TWP) applicants (in AB) that had their offers rescinded but those that were too far along the process still had the jobs waiting for them but with less chance of being made into a permanent position and then less chance of being able to apply for PR.

Not sure of all the ins and out as it was so and so said this had happened to so and so type thing.
As I said above, not sure about the details, but the impression I got (here in Edmonton) was that the government wasn't renewing/issuing LMOs for international nurses, even those already working here with permanent positions, but still on TWPs.
Old Mar 5th 2010, 2:54 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bsmith
As I said above, not sure about the details, but the impression I got (here in Edmonton) was that the government wasn't renewing/issuing LMOs for international nurses, even those already working here with permanent positions, but still on TWPs.
So we're both saying the same?
Old Mar 5th 2010, 4:09 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
So we're both saying the same?
...more or less.
Old Mar 5th 2010, 5:38 am
Forum Regular

md5037 is just really nicemd5037 is just really nicemd5037 is just really nicemd5037 is just really nicemd5037 is just really nicemd5037 is just really nicemd5037 is just really nicemd5037 is just really nice

We were in the same boat everything signed up here, LMO - Wp, to work in Calgary but were contacted by Alberta health and told not to come for the "forseeable future"

I suppose we were lucky in that we hadnt moved because i would rather be here and disappointed than in Calgary with no Wp and given up our jobs careers here.

It is frustrating and i think this is a little short sighted because they are still really short. We also contacted BC and Ontario to see if it was worth reg with the Authorities there before applying for jobs, doesnt look good we contacted them a month ago and still no reply so i would say answer is no.

Its amazing how things turn sour so fast, Calgary were biting our hand off last year now all you get is a standard response email, oh well the joys will just have to be patient.
Old Mar 5th 2010, 9:59 am
Forum Regular

readytomove is just really nicereadytomove is just really nicereadytomove is just really nicereadytomove is just really nicereadytomove is just really nicereadytomove is just really nicereadytomove is just really nicereadytomove is just really nicereadytomove is just really nice

Originally Posted by md5037
We were in the same boat everything signed up here, LMO - Wp, to work in Calgary but were contacted by Alberta health and told not to come for the "forseeable future"

I suppose we were lucky in that we hadnt moved because i would rather be here and disappointed than in Calgary with no Wp and given up our jobs careers here.

It is frustrating and i think this is a little short sighted because they are still really short. We also contacted BC and Ontario to see if it was worth reg with the Authorities there before applying for jobs, doesnt look good we contacted them a month ago and still no reply so i would say answer is no.

Its amazing how things turn sour so fast, Calgary were biting our hand off last year now all you get is a standard response email, oh well the joys will just have to be patient.

Have you thought about the Maritimes? I know they are sort on staff in most healthcare professions in NB. My other half is a physio and had absolutely no problem getting a 2 year LMO, we're off to Fredericton in 3 weeks time!

If your interested here's the job listings for nurses in the province
http://www.careerbeacon.com/bhn/bhn_...25/t/6/lang/en

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.