Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Job Offer in Nova Scotia - Looking for Brutal Honesty

Job Offer in Nova Scotia - Looking for Brutal Honesty

Old May 18th 2022, 6:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

OrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job Offer in Nova Scotia - Looking for Brutal Honesty

Originally Posted by lost_in_thought
So - OP here - I guess owe you folks a couple of things: a big thank you for all of your input, and a 'what happened next'.

First off - you all gave some wonderful advice and thoughts that we really took to heart and gave us a lot to think about. Thank you for taking the time and for sharing your experiences.

And... what did we do? Well, I appreciate this might be a disappointment - but we did actually opt to stay put here in Britain, at least for now. It wasn't an easy choice and we still have a sense of what-if - but at the same time it was the product of a few things that make us pretty sure it was the right call. One such turn of events was that our childless part of the scenario didn't actually last very long beyond my original post . On top of that a new home-grown job offer came through which solidified which side of the pond we'd be financially better off on.

The main question that kept coming back to us was - what was our motivation for relocating to another country right now? We couldn't really answer this. Yes, it would've been an exceptionally cool adventure and we still love the idea of Canada - but at the same time we wouldn't be gaining much more than we have here aside from 'Canada' itself. We wouldn't be moving for money, we wouldn't be moving for family, we wouldn't be moving for a better life for us necessarily (100% there are many things that make Canada amazing; but other aspects were either on par or in some ways worse off like the holidays); and we weren't moving to escape anything either. Yes, that's a very dull way to look at it - but with the world being all ... y'know, the way it is right now ... we're going to build up our little English castle a while longer before we see what the 2030s holds.

I also know that we can always try again since I'm not exactly losing career experience as time goes by. In any case there's nothing to say we can't be out there emulating HeyWatPod and HGerchikov in 10 years time .

Ultimately it's going to be more of a not-now than a not-never.

Thanks again!
I think you took the right choice. Canada is nice, Canada is a great experience but I also think, it's an experience only for a while or a certain time in your life. In the end Canada is actually in reality not that great once you start looking behind that "friendly Canada façade" where they like to think that "all immigrants are automatically welcome" kind of talk. Also during the pandemic, Canada didn't exactly impress me, even though a lot of people here in this forum will contradict me.

Personally, I immigrated and was a newcomer to both Canada and the UK, in both countries I was naturalized, so my comparison is from the side of somebody new in both countries.

Apart from the fact that politicians are liars to a certain degree in both countries, the UK still has a more pragmatic and practical approach to things.

If you have a decent and solid career choice in the UK, then the UK is by far the better choice than starting over new in Canada.

Last edited by OrangeMango; May 18th 2022 at 6:20 pm.
Old May 18th 2022, 10:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OrangeMango
Apart from the fact that politicians are liars to a certain degree in both countries, the UK still has a more pragmatic and practical approach to things.
I agree that Canada is a lot more ideologically driven politically. With the Conservatives in charge, they deny climate change and silence scientists. With the Liberals' in charge, they demonize protestors and push through a very poorly thought out legislation in the name of progressivism. The political class in Canada is also very disconnected from the working person, with house prices in Canada getting further and further out of reach and most MPs not really taking this concern seriously.
Old May 18th 2022, 11:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

OrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy
I agree that Canada is a lot more ideologically driven politically. With the Conservatives in charge, they deny climate change and silence scientists. With the Liberals' in charge, they demonize protestors and push through a very poorly thought out legislation in the name of progressivism. The political class in Canada is also very disconnected from the working person, with house prices in Canada getting further and further out of reach and most MPs not really taking this concern seriously.
Partially this is also true for the UK.
However in the UK they don't smile friendly into your face and say that everything is awesome when in reality it's not. I often miss that in Canada.
The Liberals in Canada have the attitude of "indicating a turn to the left" but then "turning to the right" it's a constant trait they have.
The Conservatives in Canada have the oil & gas industry behind them, - historically, - thus denial of climate change is part of their focus.
The British Conservatives don't have much of conservative about themselves anymore, ever since Brexit, and Labour is pretty toothless, - but again, they don't pretend ( or don't bother too much) to ever be as something something else.