Reload this Page >

Job ideas for foreign lawyers in Canada

Job ideas for foreign lawyers in Canada

Old Jan 8th 2023, 9:54 am
Just Joined

Km0025 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Job ideas for a foreign lawyer in Canada

Hi all,

I am a qualified lawyer in the UK and preparing to relocate to Ontario before the end of the year now that I have PR. In the process of finishing the NCA exams (a couple left to pass) but needed a few ideas on jobs I could apply for whilst completing the licensing process?

Not too keen on taking up a Legal Assistant role and willing to try something new. Wondered if anyone had ideas or can share their own experiences?

Thanks!

Last edited by Km0025; Jan 8th 2023 at 10:17 am.
Old Jan 8th 2023, 4:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job ideas for foreign lawyers in Canada

Come on someone has to say it

Used car salesperson as they usually have the values and ethics of a lawyer.

Immigration Law in Canada should be booming unfortunately these clients requiring the services of a lawyer are not usually in a position to pay for legal advice.

Old Feb 19th 2023, 1:40 pm
Forum Regular

tweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond repute

I spent a couple of years doing commercial contract management (essentially contracts drafting/negotiation) and banking compliance. Paid well and set me up nicely.

You are correct that legal assistant roles will not get you any further forward. legal assistant is “secretary”.

can I ask what your practice area is and whether in-house or pp?
Old Mar 21st 2023, 10:36 pm
Just Joined

CaptainBelfast is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tweed_wearer
I spent a couple of years doing commercial contract management (essentially contracts drafting/negotiation) and banking compliance. Paid well and set me up nicely.

You are correct that legal assistant roles will not get you any further forward. legal assistant is “secretary”.

can I ask what your practice area is and whether in-house or pp?
Hi Tweed Wearer, I'm in a similar situation to the original poster. I'm English qualified and work in-house in banking (based in London) - primarily doing contract negotiation as you described. Interested to hear more about your experience...did you work as a paralegal? How did you find the job market? Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 27th 2023, 5:11 am
Forum Regular

tweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CaptainBelfast
Hi Tweed Wearer, I'm in a similar situation to the original poster. I'm English qualified and work in-house in banking (based in London) - primarily doing contract negotiation as you described. Interested to hear more about your experience...did you work as a paralegal? How did you find the job market? Thanks in advance.
Hi, I was transferred with my employer out of a UK Legal Counsel role to a "contract negotiator" job to cover a lawyer's mat leave in Canada and I've been with that employer ever since. Paralegal is a protected title, so be careful about that. Not having moved employers, I haven't tested the job market fully but in Toronto and the golden horseshoe there seem to be a lot of jobs - elsewhere the choice seems quite limited. Generally, I networked, bided my time and relied on a little bit of luck!