British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Job ideas for foreign lawyers in Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/job-ideas-foreign-lawyers-canada-946659/)

Km0025 Jan 8th 2023 9:54 am

Job ideas for a foreign lawyer in Canada

Hi all,

I am a qualified lawyer in the UK and preparing to relocate to Ontario before the end of the year now that I have PR. In the process of finishing the NCA exams (a couple left to pass) but needed a few ideas on jobs I could apply for whilst completing the licensing process?

Not too keen on taking up a Legal Assistant role and willing to try something new. Wondered if anyone had ideas or can share their own experiences?

Thanks!

Former Lancastrian Jan 8th 2023 4:44 pm

Re: Job ideas for foreign lawyers in Canada

Come on someone has to say it :lol:

Used car salesperson as they usually have the values and ethics of a lawyer.

Immigration Law in Canada should be booming unfortunately these clients requiring the services of a lawyer are not usually in a position to pay for legal advice.

tweed_wearer Feb 19th 2023 1:40 pm

I spent a couple of years doing commercial contract management (essentially contracts drafting/negotiation) and banking compliance. Paid well and set me up nicely.

You are correct that legal assistant roles will not get you any further forward. legal assistant is “secretary”.

can I ask what your practice area is and whether in-house or pp?

CaptainBelfast Mar 21st 2023 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by tweed_wearer (Post 13174053)
I spent a couple of years doing commercial contract management (essentially contracts drafting/negotiation) and banking compliance. Paid well and set me up nicely.

You are correct that legal assistant roles will not get you any further forward. legal assistant is “secretary”.

can I ask what your practice area is and whether in-house or pp?

Hi Tweed Wearer, I'm in a similar situation to the original poster. I'm English qualified and work in-house in banking (based in London) - primarily doing contract negotiation as you described. Interested to hear more about your experience...did you work as a paralegal? How did you find the job market? Thanks in advance.

tweed_wearer Mar 27th 2023 5:11 am

Originally Posted by CaptainBelfast (Post 13181248)
Hi Tweed Wearer, I'm in a similar situation to the original poster. I'm English qualified and work in-house in banking (based in London) - primarily doing contract negotiation as you described. Interested to hear more about your experience...did you work as a paralegal? How did you find the job market? Thanks in advance.

Hi, I was transferred with my employer out of a UK Legal Counsel role to a "contract negotiator" job to cover a lawyer's mat leave in Canada and I've been with that employer ever since. Paralegal is a protected title, so be careful about that. Not having moved employers, I haven't tested the job market fully but in Toronto and the golden horseshoe there seem to be a lot of jobs - elsewhere the choice seems quite limited. Generally, I networked, bided my time and relied on a little bit of luck!