Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Job hunting trip, Calgary

Wikiposts

Job hunting trip, Calgary

Old Jan 10th 2011, 6:20 am
BE Forum Addict

rubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond repute
Default Job hunting trip, Calgary

Hi guys,

Righto. I've got my PR application in. I'm going to get an IEC application in as soon as they're "open". I'm currently planning to get to Calgary mid-July with my future wife to try to start getting our lives in order. What I'm considering doing is...

End of May: Phoning a stack of "potential" employers, recruitment companies etc and trying to arrange any sort of interview I can, no matter how casual - even a coffee.
Beginning of June: Fly to Calgary for 1 week, hire car, knock on doors, do coffees, have any interviews I might be able to arrange and then head home.
Mid July: Fly back to Calgary with wife and hopefully be a little closer to having a job in the pipeline.

I know I need to redo my "resume" - am I on the right lines with the above? If any of you know any good IT recruitment people in Calgary, a PM or reply would be appreciated

Thanks guys.
Old Jan 10th 2011, 3:13 pm
Forum Regular

CanadaGeek will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Job hunting trip, Calgary

Originally Posted by rubberduckofdeath
Hi guys,

Righto. I've got my PR application in. I'm going to get an IEC application in as soon as they're "open". I'm currently planning to get to Calgary mid-July with my future wife to try to start getting our lives in order. What I'm considering doing is...

End of May: Phoning a stack of "potential" employers, recruitment companies etc and trying to arrange any sort of interview I can, no matter how casual - even a coffee.
Beginning of June: Fly to Calgary for 1 week, hire car, knock on doors, do coffees, have any interviews I might be able to arrange and then head home.
Mid July: Fly back to Calgary with wife and hopefully be a little closer to having a job in the pipeline.

I know I need to redo my "resume" - am I on the right lines with the above? If any of you know any good IT recruitment people in Calgary, a PM or reply would be appreciated

Thanks guys.
I am also on same boat. Not to discourage here, but even with good experience its not so easy for job hunt there. Best is before a week of your arrival take phone/email for recruiting agencies and once there start the action. As long as you are not in Canada, very few employers/recruiters are really interested.

...Geek
Old Jan 11th 2011, 10:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

rubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CanadaGeek
I am also on same boat. Not to discourage here, but even with good experience its not so easy for job hunt there. Best is before a week of your arrival take phone/email for recruiting agencies and once there start the action. As long as you are not in Canada, very few employers/recruiters are really interested.

...Geek
Thanks for the reply. I'm definitely not expecting it to be easy, but by ringing ahead and telling people the dates that I'm going to be in Calgary, I'm hoping I might be able to line a few things up. Failing that, I'm going to be heading to offices with resume in hand.
Old Jan 12th 2011, 1:55 am
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Just a gentle reminder that Calgary slows down an awful lot from about the end of June to the beginning of September. In any necessary "chain" of approvals to get anything done, like hiring someone new, it's very likely that somebody will be on vacation during that period.
Old Jan 12th 2011, 2:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
Just a gentle reminder that Calgary slows down an awful lot from about the end of June to the beginning of September. In any necessary "chain" of approvals to get anything done, like hiring someone new, it's very likely that somebody will be on vacation during that period.
Thank you, that's useful information

I'm not fussed if I'm not working for a few months, I can afford that and TBH, it'd be nice to have some time off, this last year's been rubbish!

I would prefer to not be out of work for 6 months though, ideally!

Thanks again.
Old Jan 13th 2011, 3:07 pm
Forum Regular

pacepeter is a jewel in the roughpacepeter is a jewel in the roughpacepeter is a jewel in the roughpacepeter is a jewel in the rough

think it takes 3 to 4 years to get a PR from the uk and no body will hire on a twp
peter