Job Bank

Old Oct 11th 2017, 12:07 pm
Just Joined

Jadee02 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Job Bank

Hi I just wanted to know if anyone has had any success with finding a job via Job Bank.

I have looked at a few jobs and the majority of them say that if you don't have a permit then you will not be considered! I was under the impression that the job bank was for employers to offer jobs to people without permits, clearly I was wrong.

Thanks
Old Oct 11th 2017, 12:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job Bank

Originally Posted by Jadee02
Hi I just wanted to know if anyone has had any success with finding a job via Job Bank.

I have looked at a few jobs and the majority of them say that if you don't have a permit then you will not be considered! I was under the impression that the job bank was for employers to offer jobs to people without permits, clearly I was wrong.

Thanks
No, that's... far from it's purpose. It's the official national Government job bank - they're mainly looking for people who are already citizens, PRs, or authorized workers.

Separately from that, it's also a place employers have to advertise for months, trying to find a citizen/PR, if they want to prove that they can't find a Canadian, so want to sponsor someone for a permit.

I have heard it said before that the only people using the Govt job bank in employers' direction are ones trying to get LMIAs, and employees are only the people mandated to create a profile as part of their Express Entry app...
Old Oct 11th 2017, 1:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Shakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond repute

As above.
I have had no luck and the automatic search which finds jobs based on your experience doesn't seem to work. I think it's probably best to just check out indeed/workopolis/monster and the other job sites.
Old Oct 11th 2017, 8:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Plus ........

change your cv from English-style and terms to Canadian-style and terms. Canada often has different words for jobs and occupations.

That can work wonders.

Networking is very important over here, but also many employers will not respond to applicants UNLESS they are interested in interviewing them, even if the applicant is a Canadian citizen or PR. All other applications will go straight into the round file.

Numerous people on this forum seem to have been successful by making a trip to Canada either before or after getting a permit and arranging to meet potential employers for an initial discussion, perhaps over coffee.

A non-Canadian without a permit can only be hired by a Canadian employer if they have some exceptional skill, and the employer has to prove that by advertising widely and demonstrating that there were no interviews suitable, and then the employer applies for the LMIA. The process of advertising and interviewing can take up to 6 months, and obtaining the LMIA will cost the employer $1000
Old Oct 12th 2017, 6:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

dgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vulcanoid
I have heard it said before that the only people using the Govt job bank in employers' direction are ones trying to get LMIAs
Some government agencies and crown corps seem to use it as a matter of course too but, yes, I think you're spot on otherwise. I've been through the process of getting an LMIA for someone a few times and that's the only time my employer has ever posted anything there. IIRC we also had to post the salary range to make a watertight case (it's not that common to see salary details on ads for professional jobs in Canada). To be fair, it's actually not a bad site either. Reasonably fast (way better than Workopolis for example), no adverts and a search engine that doesn't get too confused about stuff.
Old Dec 14th 2017, 10:06 am
Forum Regular

Usmaan.W is just really niceUsmaan.W is just really niceUsmaan.W is just really niceUsmaan.W is just really niceUsmaan.W is just really niceUsmaan.W is just really niceUsmaan.W is just really niceUsmaan.W is just really nice

Hi - the 'work' permit mentioned in this post.. am I correct in assuming this refers to either getting the Express Entry Visa or IEC Visa? Or is there another work permit as such?
Old Dec 14th 2017, 10:14 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Usmaan.W
Hi - the 'work' permit mentioned in this post.. am I correct in assuming this refers to either getting the Express Entry Visa or IEC Visa? Or is there another work permit as such?
There's lots of different work permits. Spousal work permits, temporary work permits, etc.

Express Entry isn't a work permit, it results in Permanent Residency. IEC is a work permit (no LMIA required, only for those aged 30 and under, or 35 and under if an Irish citizen), but this thread is referring to a 'normal' work permit (Temporary Work Permit).

HTH.