Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Job applications and waiting times

Job applications and waiting times

Old Sep 3rd 2014, 11:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

prairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond repute
Default Job applications and waiting times

I've been applying for lots of jobs, various different things. Now, I've heard that one has to be patient in Canada, when waiting to hear if one has an interview, because although you are generally expected to portray yourself as a go-getter, employers will often take a more laid back approach to processing applications.

Obviously I don't know how true this is, but I'm wondering at what point after a closing date I should give up hope of getting an interview... (whilst at the same time knowing that it's a bit of a piece of string type question).

Wondered if anyone could tell me their recruitment experiences?
Old Sep 4th 2014, 12:31 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job applications and waiting times

Originally Posted by prairiechicken
I've been applying for lots of jobs, various different things. Now, I've heard that one has to be patient in Canada, when waiting to hear if one has an interview, because although you are generally expected to portray yourself as a go-getter, employers will often take a more laid back approach to processing applications.

Obviously I don't know how true this is, but I'm wondering at what point after a closing date I should give up hope of getting an interview... (whilst at the same time knowing that it's a bit of a piece of string type question).

Wondered if anyone could tell me their recruitment experiences?
No harm in following up after a week, but Canadian employers tend not to contact people they are not interested in. Periodically sending in a resume shows perseverance.
Old Sep 4th 2014, 6:12 am
BE Enthusiast

dishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond repute

+1

Unfortunately not responding seems to be the norm. That said, no harm in following up and showing courtesy/professionalism imho
Old Sep 4th 2014, 4:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

haggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond repute

I got lots of responses, the problem was follow-ups after the interviews and actually getting started...they're horrendous at that, everything is so slow and drawn out, its like they can't actually be bothered starting you even though you've accepted their job offer
Old Sep 4th 2014, 4:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

prairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks. For completely online application processes, where I don't have an actual name or contact details of a person I could follow up with, it makes it a bit tricky to follow up! I was just trying to gauge whether it was more likely to be a week or two or even longer after a closing date that they would be likely to contact those they want to interview.
Old Sep 4th 2014, 5:26 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks. For completely online application processes, where I don't have an actual name or contact details of a person I could follow up with, it makes it a bit tricky to follow up! I was just trying to gauge whether it was more likely to be a week or two or even longer after a closing date that they would be likely to contact those they want to interview.
Any of the above. It is a waiting game, keep applying for jobs, you may only hear if they want to interview you and no telling if or when that may be.
Old Sep 4th 2014, 5:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thank you. I will be cool and stop worrying about it
Old Sep 4th 2014, 5:58 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I've gotten calls months after applying for a job, sometimes it was so long, I didn't even remember applying for it.

Yes, many companies are going the apply online route where its near impossible to even follow up because they have no contact information, and many companies contract our their recruiting department now, so its not even in house anymore.

Same with trying to apply in person, can't tell you how many times I have been told they wont take a resume in person and I need to go apply online.

With technology, I think the following up on a application is slowly dying.
Old Sep 5th 2014, 2:15 am
BE Enthusiast

dishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck, prairiechicken...

Hang in there
Old Sep 5th 2014, 3:40 am
Just Joined

Cedar3 is a jewel in the roughCedar3 is a jewel in the roughCedar3 is a jewel in the roughCedar3 is a jewel in the rough

They might just be doing things on 'Island time' :-)
Old Sep 5th 2014, 3:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Cedar3
They might just be doing things on 'Island time' :-)
Yep, thought had occurred to me too. I generally like Island time though
Old Sep 18th 2014, 6:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Just thought I'd post an update, in case it's helpful for anyone else applying for jobs.

One interview (and subsequent job offer) materialised about 3 weeks after I submitted my original application.

I heard about another job yesterday, via a friend of a friend, went in there today with my resume, got interviewed and offered a job on the spot. (That's fast for any company!)

And yesterday I got a call inviting me to interview for a job that I applied for on August 14th. I have turned that down now based on the better job offer I got today, but had assumed by this stage that they weren't interested!

So my assertion that my original question was a bit piece-of-string-y was obviously right. Thanks everyone in the meantime for helping to keep me from worrying about it all though!
Old Sep 18th 2014, 7:09 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

I got contacted two months ago for a job that I applied for last September.

No real logic to recruitment any more.
Old Sep 18th 2014, 7:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

januarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond repute

It just depends on the need I guess

prairiechicken - where do you source your jobs, besides friends, and if you don't mind, can you share what type of work you do?

Congrats by the way, my experience is things are quite slow!
Old Sep 19th 2014, 4:19 am
Just Joined

Cedar3 is a jewel in the roughCedar3 is a jewel in the roughCedar3 is a jewel in the roughCedar3 is a jewel in the rough

Yay! Congratulations on the new job prairiechicken, great to hear :-)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.