Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

job advice needed

Wikiposts

job advice needed

Old Jan 7th 2009, 9:20 am
Just Joined

mattyr40 is a jewel in the roughmattyr40 is a jewel in the roughmattyr40 is a jewel in the roughmattyr40 is a jewel in the roughmattyr40 is a jewel in the rough
Default job advice needed

Can i start by saying what a fantastic site this is. I have skimmed through it for a couple of hours and learnt so much about living in Canada that the endless nights of skimming through diss-imformation on other sites have now become worthwhile.
Anyway, Me and the wife have talked about moving to Canada for a year or so and due to the dire situation of the building trade in England we are now seriously considering it. We attended an expo last month and are in liason with willis brazaloot (no cash parted with). I have my own general building buisness and i used to be a self employed brickie. I think my best bet would be to get work over there either in construction management or as a brickie and then bring the family over, But how do i go about getting work in this trade. Iv tried loads of job sites but from what i can make out they dont really advertize these types of jobs on the net. Sorry if thats a bit long winded but any responce appreciated however vague.
Oh also we our a catholic family so any imformation on catholic communities would also be handy
Old Jan 7th 2009, 9:49 am
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: job advice needed

Oh also we our a catholic family so any imformation on catholic communities would also be handy

The only Catholic communities I'm aware of in Canada are in Quebec and because it's a predominately Catholic Province because of its French roots. In all my years here I've never experienced any religious bigotry such as exists in some parts of the UK. Your next door neighbours'/workmates' religion never comes up in conversation, at least not in a pejorative sense. Some Provinces provide separate schooling for Catholic children and if that's important to you, you should do the necessary research.
Old Jan 7th 2009, 10:03 am
Forum Regular

MR MOM will become famous soon enoughMR MOM will become famous soon enough

Hey from Ipswich eh? me too.sent you a private message.
Old Jan 7th 2009, 10:32 pm
Just Joined

mattyr40 is a jewel in the roughmattyr40 is a jewel in the roughmattyr40 is a jewel in the roughmattyr40 is a jewel in the roughmattyr40 is a jewel in the rough

Obviously hit a nerve there. This is part of the necessary research.
Old Jan 7th 2009, 10:36 pm
Just Joined

need to post again to read my pm
Old Jan 7th 2009, 11:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Doomed to be stuck in the West Midlands forever!!!!
Twink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to all

Hi,

I see your in talks with W & B.......perhaps you could try getting other quotes from other consultants - they seem very expensive to me, however they seemed nice people at the Emigrate Show in Oct.

We are using consultants - but on reflection if we could turn back the clock then we definitely would not of, even though our situation is slightly out the norm!

I`me sure some posters on here have said in the past, W & B have quoted upwards of £7K for a family of 4?

Anyway, I hope your plans work out for you and you family, good luck with it all.

Regards

Sue
Old Jan 7th 2009, 11:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Washington, the original one, for now. The future - who knows?
Wearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to behold

I'm intrigued about the need to know about areas with "Catholic Communities", would an area with a Catholic Church or School not suffice?
Old Jan 8th 2009, 2:05 am
Forum Regular

pip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nice

Originally Posted by mattyr40
Can i start by saying what a fantastic site this is. I have skimmed through it for a couple of hours and learnt so much about living in Canada that the endless nights of skimming through diss-imformation on other sites have now become worthwhile.
Anyway, Me and the wife have talked about moving to Canada for a year or so and due to the dire situation of the building trade in England we are now seriously considering it. We attended an expo last month and are in liason with willis brazaloot (no cash parted with). I have my own general building buisness and i used to be a self employed brickie. I think my best bet would be to get work over there either in construction management or as a brickie and then bring the family over, But how do i go about getting work in this trade. Iv tried loads of job sites but from what i can make out they dont really advertize these types of jobs on the net. Sorry if thats a bit long winded but any responce appreciated however vague.
not sure if you've seen it, but i did, in error, find that www.cic.ca is not for citizenship and immigtration canada, but is actually the website for Catholic Immingration Centre in Ottowa, i havn't looked at the site in any detail, but possibly it may hold some useful info and advice for you and your family.
Best of luck if you do decide to go for Canada!!
Old Jan 8th 2009, 2:08 am
Just Joined

probably would. but catholics in general are a very warm and welcoming people especially to one another.
bit like being a free mason
Old Jan 8th 2009, 2:14 am
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

probably would. but catholics in general are a very warm and welcoming people especially to one another.
Ah, now the secret is out. Catholics have funny handshakes too.
Old Jan 8th 2009, 2:23 am
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Are there Catholic communities in Britain?

I remember a statistic from somewhere that said 51% of Canadians are Catholic. So with the remaining 49% being a mix of other Christian groups and non Christian religions then you should have no trouble finding churches and schools. There are many many churches in Ontario, I often wonder if there are enough people to fill them all.
Old Jan 8th 2009, 2:33 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

The City of St. Albert a few miles northwest of Edmonton is a predominantly Catholic community.

Originally Posted by wikipedia
St. Albert is an anomaly in that the Catholic school district is the public system, and the Protestant school district is separate. In all other areas of Alberta this is reversed, the public system is either Protestant or non-religious.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Albert,_Alberta
Old Jan 8th 2009, 2:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

Well I have to say I have found all Canadians friendly and welcoming and not one asked what religion we was
Old Jan 8th 2009, 2:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fledermaus
Are there Catholic communities in Britain?
Mostly in Northern Ireland
Old Jan 8th 2009, 3:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Southern Ontario(house is SOLD on our way back to UK/aug 09)
dewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud of

Here in Ontario, they are lots of catholic schools about, pretty much every town/city.

what part of Canada you are looking at?...As i can only vouch for ONtario...Hope you like LOTS and LOTS Of snow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So whats not to like about Ipswich? hoping to move there this year!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.