Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Job adverts and salaries

Wikiposts

Job adverts and salaries

Old Mar 12th 2013, 1:14 am
BE Enthusiast

chanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job adverts and salaries

Originally Posted by Edo
Oh great, sounds like a very generous offer. Never came across something like that in the UK. All the best
lol, i'm currently in the interview stages - it sounds good though! good luck with the job hunting
Old Mar 12th 2013, 2:24 am
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Edo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chanceUK
lol, i'm currently in the interview stages - it sounds good though! good luck with the job hunting
Thank you chanceUK. You are lucky, cuz the job adverts I have seen so far in my field neither mention salary nor benefits. I work in construction and engineering and it is quite common in the UK to have at least a car/allowance included in the package for my level. However, the same doesnt seem to be the case for Canadian jobs in the same sector - at least not in what I have seen so far.
Old Mar 12th 2013, 7:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

My benefits package keeps me where I am (though I do also like my job!) 'cos it certainly isn't the salary. It makes a massive difference to that feeling of goodwill to the employer!

I rarely see a salary advertised anywhere (apart from The City jobs). Just not the norm here I don't think.
Old Mar 13th 2013, 2:08 am
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Edo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ann m
My benefits package keeps me where I am (though I do also like my job!) 'cos it certainly isn't the salary. It makes a massive difference to that feeling of goodwill to the employer!

I rarely see a salary advertised anywhere (apart from The City jobs). Just not the norm here I don't think.
Well I think the best thing to do as some posters suggested to research salaries before I can determine what I should ask for. But the danger with that is I might ask for too much which can put the employer off or might end up asking for a lot lower than what the employer might be willing to offer.
Old Mar 13th 2013, 2:18 am
Pondering a career change

Mikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Edo
Well I think the best thing to do as some posters suggested to research salaries before I can determine what I should ask for. But the danger with that is I might ask for too much which can put the employer off or might end up asking for a lot lower than what the employer might be willing to offer.
Use a salary indicator such as the one at www.indeed.ca, then try to connect with people in your industry in Canada and provide with a copy of resume a d ask if you should aim higher or lower.

I used this method and was told due to experience level I should aim higher.
Old Mar 13th 2013, 2:22 am
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Mikeypm
Use a salary indicator such as the one at www.indeed.ca, then try to connect with people in your industry in Canada and provide with a copy of resume a d ask if you should aim higher or lower.

I used this method and was told due to experience level I should aim higher.
Thanks Mike

I have already started making connections on LinkedIn. Is there any other source of connecting with professionals that you know of?
Old Mar 13th 2013, 2:39 am

Mikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Edo
Thanks Mike

I have already started making connections on LinkedIn. Is there any other source of connecting with professionals that you know of?
The issue is that we are not in Canada so to be honest I have used Linkedin Primarily and then emailed and called people in Canada. Not sure if I mentioned this on this thread or another but I got a skype calling package which lets me make unlimited calls to landlines and mobiles and is about £14 for three months subscription. I really find following an email with a phone call does wonders for your image. It shows your making the effort
Old Mar 13th 2013, 2:45 am
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Mikeypm
The issue is that we are not in Canada so to be honest I have used Linkedin Primarily and then emailed and called people in Canada. Not sure if I mentioned this on this thread or another but I got a skype calling package which lets me make unlimited calls to landlines and mobiles and is about £14 for three months subscription. I really find following an email with a phone call does wonders for your image. It shows your making the effort
OK thanks Mike, point noted. So Skype it is then
Old Mar 13th 2013, 2:47 am

Originally Posted by Edo
OK thanks Mike, point noted. So Skype it is then
It has been working for me, but there maybe other options , Best of luck for your search for work and your move to Canada