Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Job adverts and salaries

Wikiposts

Job adverts and salaries

Old Mar 11th 2013, 4:49 am
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Edo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Job adverts and salaries

I have been researching jobs in my field of work in Canada and nearly none of the job adverts I have seen so far had a mention of the salary figure . Thats not usually the case in the UK as mostly employers would either put a rang or max salary that a job comes with in the advert to give you an idea. So my question is how would you know by looking at a job advert before you decide if the job is worth applying to. This would specially be a consideration if the job is in another city/province to where you are initially based as you wouldnt take the hassle of travelling to the other end of the country for an interview if you knew it didnt pay well.
Old Mar 11th 2013, 4:55 am
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job adverts and salaries

I hear you! I think its so you they can pay you as little as possible.
I think you have to go into these things with a salary range in mind, decide if you can meet the required criteria and apply.
Old Mar 11th 2013, 4:59 am
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Edo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Howefamily
I hear you! I think its so you they can pay you as little as possible.
That is exactle what I thought. But I suppose the absence of any wage information doesnt give you a starting point to negotiate should they decide to offer you the job
Old Mar 11th 2013, 5:17 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Edo
I have been researching jobs in my field of work in Canada and nearly none of the job adverts I have seen so far had a mention of the salary figure . Thats not usually the case in the UK as mostly employers would either put a rang or max salary that a job comes with in the advert to give you an idea. So my question is how would you know by looking at a job advert before you decide if the job is worth applying to. This would specially be a consideration if the job is in another city/province to where you are initially based as you wouldnt take the hassle of travelling to the other end of the country for an interview if you knew it didnt pay well.
The onus is on you to learn what the appropriate rate of pay is for the demands of the job and the skill and experience you bring to it. This is part of your research and networking.

From a private business perspective, putting a salary in an advert attracts a lot of applications from people who want the salary, but don't deserve it. By not putting a salary the hope is that you get applications from people who want to do the job and have something to contribute.

My suggestion is that you look for jobs that will interest or challenge you and where you bring something positive to the role. Make sure your application is focused on what you bring. Unless asked, I would not mention salary requirements at this point. You want to get the potential employer excited about what you can do for them.

If you are called for an interview then you have a judgement call. I believe it is best not to discuss salary until you are just about to be offered the job. That is when your negotiating position is strongest. However, if it is a long and expensive trip I don't think it is unreasonable to say that you are looking for a salary of $x and is this in the range the employer is expecting to pay.
Old Mar 11th 2013, 5:36 am
Recruiter Extraordinaire

Tigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond repute

If you do get to interview stage, expect that the company will ask you your salary expectations without telling you the salary. Having been a recruiter both sides of the pond I can give pro's and cons for each method.

But that's the way it works here, so I'd suggest you take the time to not only research the general salary for the position that you're applying too; but take some time to look at your own financial needs and come up with a range. Always give a range as well, don't pigeon hole yourself to one number oh and remember the benefits package can add an extra 20% plus on top of the base (depending on how good it is).
Old Mar 11th 2013, 5:52 am
BE Enthusiast

chanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond repute

depending on the job, there are options of getting a general idea of the potential salary.

glassdoor, surveys by an organization that looks after your sector etc.

It is also a great networking tool to conduct informational interviews whereby you invite a potential employer or someone who a job you want for coffee and ask them lots of questions/advice in how to get in the field, how to improve your employment prospects etc. You can ask them what kind of salary to expect since you are interviewing them (not the other way around)
Lots of people get job offers, recommendations etc doing informational interviews although it's mostly a process to get advice/get known
Old Mar 11th 2013, 6:29 am
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Tigger1
Always give a range as well, don't pigeon hole yourself to one number oh and remember the benefits package can add an extra 20% plus on top of the base (depending on how good it is).
Thanks Tigger. So is it a common practice for employers to include benefits on top of the basic pay in Canada? Also of you dont mind telling what kind of benefits that entails. I only know of the healthcare benefits for the employee/family.
Old Mar 11th 2013, 6:34 am
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by chanceUK
It is also a great networking tool to conduct informational interviews whereby you invite a potential employer or someone who a job you want for coffee
Sounds like a very good tip but I am not sure how you get to that level of acquaintanceship with someone in a new country to get them to see you for a coffee. I really wouldnt mind paying for the coffee if I get so lucky
Old Mar 11th 2013, 6:42 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Edo
Sounds like a very good tip but I am not sure how you get to that level of acquaintanceship with someone in a new country to get them to see you for a coffee. I really wouldnt mind paying for the coffee if I get so lucky
Ask nicely. As long as people don't feel pressured into offering you or finding you a job you will be surprised at how many people will be willing to give you a few minutes of their time.
Old Mar 11th 2013, 6:57 am
BE Enthusiast

chanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Edo
it's surprisingly easy and considered normal in Canada.

So far 2 potential employers bought me lunch, another coffee. I just emailed with an introduction of myself, my resume and asking if i could get some advice from them on how to build my resume, how to get into the profession/industry in the area, useful contacts etc. they were the ones that suggested we go for coffee/lunch.

very easy and got me a part-time job immediately, further contacts, and a lead for a permanent job opening in the near future
Old Mar 11th 2013, 7:06 am
Pondering a career change

Mikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond repute

it's surprisingly easy and considered normal in Canada.

So far 2 potential employers bought me lunch, another coffee. I just emailed with an introduction of myself, my resume and asking if i could get some advice from them on how to build my resume, how to get into the profession/industry in the area, useful contacts etc. they were the ones that suggested we go for coffee/lunch.

very easy and got me a part-time job immediately, further contacts, and a lead for a permanent job opening in the near future
A face to face chat as you say is quite easy to set up, I just recently returned from a recce trip to Vancouver and had 20 meetings which ranged from coffee and chat, through to lunch, dinner and a couple of pints.
Old Mar 11th 2013, 7:47 am
Recruiter Extraordinaire

Tigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Edo
Thanks Tigger. So is it a common practice for employers to include benefits on top of the basic pay in Canada? Also of you dont mind telling what kind of benefits that entails. I only know of the healthcare benefits for the employee/family.
The quality of the benefits provided can vary depending on the company and weirdly it's OK to ask about those but not the salary! For example the company I work for covers 100% dental pays my MSP (that's your medical services thinghy) and has some other perks buried in it (such as paying for massages) and vision is covered to for eye exams and glasses etc.

The dental is the big thing, there's no such thing as an NHS dentist here, so if you and family need any sort of work it can rack up (I just had a few dentist visits and without my benefits it would have cost me about $3k!)
Old Mar 12th 2013, 12:32 am
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Tigger1
The quality of the benefits provided can vary depending on the company and weirdly it's OK to ask about those but not the salary! For example the company I work for covers 100% dental pays my MSP (that's your medical services thinghy) and has some other perks buried in it (such as paying for massages) and vision is covered to for eye exams and glasses etc.

The dental is the big thing, there's no such thing as an NHS dentist here, so if you and family need any sort of work it can rack up (I just had a few dentist visits and without my benefits it would have cost me about $3k!)
ok so am I right to assume that benefits only include healthcare for the employee (and possibly their family) or could it also be some other form of allowances like car etc
Old Mar 12th 2013, 12:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Edo
ok so am I right to assume that benefits only include healthcare for the employee (and possibly their family) or could it also be some other form of allowances like car etc
it could be lots of different things. as an example, here is part of the job description for a position i have applied to:
• Highly competitive pay
• Great employee, domestic partner, and family benefits that start the first day of employment
• Short-term and long-term disability coverage
• Registered Pension Plan
• Stock Savings Plan with an RRSP option
• 10 statutory holidays and floater days
• Annual tuition reimbursement up to $5,000
• Annual paid vacation; 3 weeks to start
• 16% (max 32%) quarterly bonus and 6% (max 12%) annual bonus opportunity
• Fully paid company car (including the car washes!)
• Company provided home office equipment and connectivity
Old Mar 12th 2013, 12:40 am
Edo
BE Forum Addict

it could be lots of different things. as an example, here is part of the job description for a position i have applied to:
• Highly competitive pay
• Great employee, domestic partner, and family benefits that start the first day of employment
• Short-term and long-term disability coverage
• Registered Pension Plan
• Stock Savings Plan with an RRSP option
• 10 statutory holidays and floater days
• Annual tuition reimbursement up to $5,000
• Annual paid vacation; 3 weeks to start
• 16% (max 32%) quarterly bonus and 6% (max 12%) annual bonus opportunity
• Fully paid company car (including the car washes!)
• Company provided home office equipment and connectivity
Oh great, sounds like a very generous offer. Never came across something like that in the UK. All the best

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.