Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

JK Registration (Ontario)

JK Registration (Ontario)

Old Feb 22nd 2010, 1:59 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute
Default JK Registration (Ontario)

The local schools are running JK registrations this week here, can anyone tell me what this involves/what is required?

My son is 3 (4 in August), we're expecting/hoping PR to come through soon (meds done), but for now we're just on work permits and we don't have a study permit for him. I guess this is the kind of thing they want to check? Would they accept it later in the year - when we'll either have PR or a new WP (and I could get study permit then too)?

More importantly - how many people send their kids to JK, do many people skip it and wait for SK? I don't know if he's ready for school, but maybe I'm just being an overprotective parent....
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 2:26 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: JK Registration (Ontario)

Originally Posted by G77
The local schools are running JK registrations this week here, can anyone tell me what this involves/what is required?

My son is 3 (4 in August), we're expecting/hoping PR to come through soon (meds done), but for now we're just on work permits and we don't have a study permit for him. I guess this is the kind of thing they want to check? Would they accept it later in the year - when we'll either have PR or a new WP (and I could get study permit then too)?

More importantly - how many people send their kids to JK, do many people skip it and wait for SK? I don't know if he's ready for school, but maybe I'm just being an overprotective parent....
If you have a work permit, then that probably all you need. Best bet though is to call the school board involved and check with them.

Based on class makeup I think most people send kids to JK. Is his birthday early in the year, making him one of the younger ones? We sent our oldest one to a local nursery school for a few months as a way to transition her from spending all day alone with mom to being able to deal better with a classroom situation. Money well spent.
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 2:41 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
If you have a work permit, then that probably all you need. Best bet though is to call the school board involved and check with them.

Based on class makeup I think most people send kids to JK. Is his birthday early in the year, making him one of the younger ones? We sent our oldest one to a local nursery school for a few months as a way to transition her from spending all day alone with mom to being able to deal better with a classroom situation. Money well spent.
His birthday is August, so he would be middle of the range of ages.

What's needed in terms of immunization records? We have his red book from the UK, but not sure if it's fully up to date (think we may have forgotten to take it once).

Also - do you need to make an appointment or just show up during the registration period?

Last edited by G77; Feb 22nd 2010 at 2:45 pm.
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 2:53 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by G77
His birthday is August, so he would be middle of the range of ages.

What's needed in terms of immunization records? We have his red book from the UK, but not sure if it's fully up to date (think we may have forgotten to take it once).

Also - do you need to make an appointment or just show up during the registration period?
He should be OK...Our oldest is a november birthday, one of the youngest. She was only 3 and had to deal with an hours bus ride home, including a transfer at the high school

The immunisation is taken care of via the local health unit, My kids were born here, so I didnt have to deal with that complication. Give them a call now about it, if you wait till they are handing out the necessary sheet that the school wants then they will be very busy.

Far as I recall we just showed up... but it could be a different proceedure where you are?
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 7:21 pm
Forum Regular

XCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really nice

Originally Posted by iaink
She was only 3 and had to deal with an hours bus ride home, including a transfer at the high school
That scares the living daylights out of me!
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 7:29 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by XCMTBer
That scares the living daylights out of me!
They were very good, an older kid chaperoned her onto her bus, and then onto the transfer bus, while the adult supervisors were aware of what was supposed to happen.

I only had to pick her up at the high school once
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 12:08 am
G77
BE Forum Addict

Thanks, looks like they have an open night on weds, so guess we should go along and see what's what...
Old Feb 25th 2010, 3:00 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

Just for the record, we needed :-

a) Birth Certificate or Passport
b) Immunization record
c) Proof of status in Canada (if not citizen)
d) Health card
e) Baptism certificate (catholic school)