Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

I've hit the moving-to-Canada wall.

I've hit the moving-to-Canada wall.

Old May 25th 2011, 8:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

CANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: I've hit the moving-to-Canada wall.

Originally Posted by YoshiPal2010
Yes, I do indeed! I spent 25 years working in the printing industry, including 4 years over here. However, when the employer I was with went belly-up, I took a what I thought would be a short-term position with the local education board. Ten years later, I have a Power Engineering certificate, and and am the Facility Operator in a large junior high, with four staff to supervise (yes, I know that means caretaker, but Canadians are big on fancy titles!) And I'll be honest with you: I wish I had looked at this job when I first arrived in Canada. Too many newcomers (Brits mostly, it seems) waste a lot of time and money looking for their "ideal" position -- "I can't seem to land the sort of position I had in the UK" -- you're new here, buddy! The ideal job is one that is helping to pay the bills and help you get your family settled, so good luck in your search for a new life in Canada (although I think Nevada Bobs has gone bust!)
Nevada Bobs gone bust...... gutted!! Now where can I get a good trade in on my old clubs
Old May 25th 2011, 8:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

CANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by el_richo
Where are you looking to move to?
Ontario, sorry but thats as close as I can tell you right now, will all depend on what hospital my OH is attached too. Ideally Kawartha lakes, sorry but fishing is one of my sins.
Old May 25th 2011, 8:40 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CANADIAN CARPERS
Ontario, sorry but thats as close as I can tell you right now, will all depend on what hospital my OH is attached too. Ideally Kawartha lakes, sorry but fishing is one of my sins.
Then you probably can.

This one looks a beauty, and you'll have some spare cash to buy a new pair of fishing wellies
http://www.realtor.ca/propertyDetail...ey=-1421208058
Old May 25th 2011, 8:53 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF
My husband asked me to stop reading the posts on this forum, because he said it would make me anti Canada! He gets sooo cross when posters are quite so negative about his country. ALL countries have their pros and cons, and unless you are talking about an oppressive hellhole, they all weigh up pretty much the same. I LOVE, lots of things French, and will miss it oodles, but I know I'll find lots of great things in Canada that will make up for the bits I miss - and probabaly some not so great bits too, that I'll just have to accept! I love England whenever I visit, it's super, in many ways, but in many ways Not too.
I believe there's parental blocking software that restricts certain sites. It's mainly to stop 5th graders from looking at women's naughty bits but it might something for your husband to investigate.

Other than that, I can't imagine anyone but a Canadian wanting to trade the wonderment of French culture, cuisine, environment and architecture for strip malls, housing developments, processed food and expensive piss-like beer. My guess is your husband is fed up being the outsider and wants to go home and doesn’t want you having second thoughts.
Old May 25th 2011, 8:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Then you probably can.

This one looks a beauty, and you'll have some spare cash to buy a new pair of fishing wellies
Somebody nicked the wheels Actually we were on that site a lot until we read on here that most are gone before advertised. I got my new "wellies" from the pro bass shop last time I was over there.
Old May 25th 2011, 8:58 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Then you probably can.

Can't you imagine sitting out on that expansive deck of an evening, drinking cool, crisp, glacier fresh beer while spraying each other with insect repellent every ten minutes. It's truly god's country out there.
Old May 25th 2011, 9:05 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Somebody nicked the wheels Actually we were on that site a lot until we read on here that most are gone before advertised. I got my new "wellies" from the pro bass shop last time I was over there.
Rubbish.
Old May 25th 2011, 9:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Oink
Can't you imagine sitting out on that expansive deck of an evening, drinking cool, crisp, glacier fresh beer while spraying each other with insect repellent every ten minutes. It's truly god's country out there.
While an avid Guinness drinker I actually like Molson Canadian. OK so like is a bit strong but ice cold it's palatable. Now go on spoil everything and tell me you can't get draught Guinness out there.
Old May 25th 2011, 9:10 pm
Forum Regular

skara is just really niceskara is just really niceskara is just really niceskara is just really niceskara is just really niceskara is just really niceskara is just really niceskara is just really nice

(sidles in)

Cor, I opened a can of worms. What an interesting thread this has become.

(sidles back out)

Old May 25th 2011, 9:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

ducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond repute

While an avid Guinness drinker I actually like Molson Canadian. OK so like is a bit strong but ice cold it's palatable. Now go on spoil everything and tell me you can't get draught Guinness out there.
You can in Vancouver but it is cosmopolitan here like
Old May 25th 2011, 9:12 pm

You'll be fine, there's loads of quaint village type pubs dotted all over rual Ontario that serve lots of traditional cask ales. They're great places to pop in to chat with the locals or have a game or crib.
Old May 25th 2011, 9:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

You'll be fine, there's loads of quaint village type pubs dotted all over rual Ontario that serve lots of traditional cask ales. They're great places to pop in to chat with the locals or have a game or crib.
Old May 25th 2011, 9:39 pm
Just Joined

maximumthrust has a brilliant futuremaximumthrust has a brilliant futuremaximumthrust has a brilliant futuremaximumthrust has a brilliant futuremaximumthrust has a brilliant futuremaximumthrust has a brilliant future

Old May 25th 2011, 10:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

ducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
quoted because it's true.

Ignorance is bliss I say
Seems to be that way!
Old May 28th 2011, 11:13 pm
Forum Regular

krasy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by skara
Thanks everyone for taking the time to read and reply

Sometimes you just need to get things off your chest to people who get it - it's a bit like being pregnant - when you are, it's all you can think of, but even your closest friends and family start to glaze over when you start obsessing over it for the millionth time that week.

And Oink, I ran a marathon last year - bloody glad you weren't in my support crew, because if you had been I'd have given up and gone to the pub when I hit the wall.
my OH been through all this he has went ahead to canada on his own me and my son are going in july there are times when you hit rock bottom
as for the house i have taken the decision to rent it out and got renters straight away they move in wehn i move out thenlo and behold i get an offer best offer i have had so far but have decided not to take it and chose the rental route instead as financially we will be better off renting. But dont forget Canada has been your dream, so you must give in to the success of your dream, why give up on something which means so much, good times are waiting for you you just need to believe and feel it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.