Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

I've hit the moving-to-Canada wall.

I've hit the moving-to-Canada wall.

Old May 25th 2011, 7:22 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I've hit the moving-to-Canada wall.

Originally Posted by CANADIAN CARPERS
Oh for sure, infact last time I visited I thought China had invaded (joke) just the doo-gooders here are changing all the signs to Polish.
'All' the signs? Where exactly? I've not seen any.
Old May 25th 2011, 7:26 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Oh for sure, infact last time I visited I thought China had invaded (joke) just the doo-gooders here are changing all the signs to Polish. I thought visiting Wales was bad enough
May I suggest with your obvious ethnically challenged sensibilities I'd recommend you look to settle in northern Alberta.
Old May 25th 2011, 7:27 pm
forever blowing bubbles

arniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
'All' the signs? Where exactly? I've not seen any.
its true although not everywhere but i think that Chester is a place that has put up road signs in polish
Old May 25th 2011, 7:29 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by arniedog
its true although not everywhere but i think that Chester is a place that has put up road signs in polish
I did Google it, and you are correct that Chester did put up some temporary road signs in Polish once - for a diversion, in 2007. So hardly 'all the signs', and I wondered if I'd missed something and there were any anywhere else.

No doubt if there were, the Daily Mail would be shouting it from the rooftops though.
Old May 25th 2011, 7:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

YoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
May I suggest with your obvious ethnically challenged sensibilities I'd recommend you look to settle in northern Alberta.
Yes, I'm sure all the various nationalities working in the oilsands would be very glad of his company. Oh, but wait: he doesn't like foreigners taking jobs from the locals!
Old May 25th 2011, 7:32 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Hope you can speak Polish and other eastern european languages then.
Oh dear
Old May 25th 2011, 7:32 pm
forever blowing bubbles

arniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
No doubt if there were, the Daily Mail would be shouting it from the rooftops though.
well actually i read it in the sun ..... Or was it the sport not sure now , so it must be true
Old May 25th 2011, 7:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

CANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Alan2005
The recipe for success in Canada is to get a job that a) pays the bills and b) you like. Most other things are secondary to that.
a) has mostly been achievable over past 30 years. b) work in progress but OH loves her job so will try to repeat the recipe in Canada.
Old May 25th 2011, 7:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

CANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by YoshiPal2010
Yes, I'm sure all the various nationalities working in the oilsands would be very glad of his company. Oh, but wait: he doesn't like foreigners taking jobs from the locals!
Says who? They're welcome to mine, bored senseless with it, hence the life change decision.
Old May 25th 2011, 7:41 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

The last time I looked there were big houses in the UK and some of them had lakes in their gardens. I can't imagine that if you didn't have the education, cultural capital and ambition to afford one in the UK that moving to another country would make up for all your failings.
Old May 25th 2011, 7:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

YoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Says who? They're welcome to mine, bored senseless with it, hence the life change decision.
Working is pretty dull here too, you know?
Old May 25th 2011, 7:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by YoshiPal2010
Working is pretty dull here too, you know?
I'm sure it is but I'm now in a position to take a job that I can enjoy rather than one that I have to take because of salary demands. So if that means working in Nevada Bobs selling golf balls then so be it. Hope you get my drift.
Old May 25th 2011, 8:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yes, I do indeed! I spent 25 years working in the printing industry, including 4 years over here. However, when the employer I was with went belly-up, I took a what I thought would be a short-term position with the local education board. Ten years later, I have a Power Engineering certificate, and and am the Facility Operator in a large junior high, with four staff to supervise (yes, I know that means caretaker, but Canadians are big on fancy titles!) And I'll be honest with you: I wish I had looked at this job when I first arrived in Canada. Too many newcomers (Brits mostly, it seems) waste a lot of time and money looking for their "ideal" position -- "I can't seem to land the sort of position I had in the UK" -- you're new here, buddy! The ideal job is one that is helping to pay the bills and help you get your family settled, so good luck in your search for a new life in Canada (although I think Nevada Bobs has gone bust!)
Old May 25th 2011, 8:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Oink
The last time I looked there were big houses in the UK and some of them had lakes in their gardens. I can't imagine that if you didn't have the education, cultural capital and ambition to afford one in the UK that moving to another country would make up for all your failings.
Fair point and if I win big on the lottery I'll stay and buy one and just visit Canada every summer. Sadly I don't have a spare million quid but and feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but $350,000-400,000 should get me a reasonable little lake pad?
Old May 25th 2011, 8:13 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

$350,000-400,000 should get me a reasonable little lake pad?
Where are you looking to move to?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.