Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

I've hit the moving-to-Canada wall.

I've hit the moving-to-Canada wall.

Old May 25th 2011, 3:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

CANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: I've hit the moving-to-Canada wall.

Originally Posted by el_richo

What you also need to bear in mind is that new posters such as the OP live in the dream whereas those in Canada live in reality
Are the dreams and reality a million miles apart? Or just a void.
Old May 25th 2011, 3:27 pm
Forum Regular

canbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to behold

Ive lived in Canada now for 7 years and reading back my post from a few years ago, i was very unsettled. Then I gave up expats for a while, I can only assume I was going through my busy but happy stage of life, and had no need for advice. But here I am, spending a few minutes a day reading again. Its interesting reading peoples threads about waiting to move over, and understanding where their coming from. Canada has been hell, but its also been great fun, just like life in England. When we arrived we spent alot of time comparing. When you get that out of your system, it does get easier.
I do miss England, but not enough to go back. When you shut your door at night, you could be any where in the world.
Old May 25th 2011, 3:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

CANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by canbritdenise
Ive lived in Canada now for 7 years and reading back my post from a few years ago, i was very unsettled. Then I gave up expats for a while, I can only assume I was going through my busy but happy stage of life, and had no need for advice. But here I am, spending a few minutes a day reading again. Its interesting reading peoples threads about waiting to move over, and understanding where their coming from. Canada has been hell, but its also been great fun, just like life in England. When we arrived we spent alot of time comparing. When you get that out of your system, it does get easier.
I do miss England, but not enough to go back. When you shut your door at night, you could be any where in the world.
Can you elaborate on hell. My main concern is that in the UK I've always worked with a good bunch of lads, lots of banter etc and as I'm a good mixer I'm hoping for a similar working relationship there and not alienated for being a migrant.
Old May 25th 2011, 3:58 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CANADIAN CARPERS
Can you elaborate on hell. My main concern is that in the UK I've always worked with a good bunch of lads, lots of banter etc and as I'm a good mixer I'm hoping for a similar working relationship there and not alienated for being a migrant.
Don't expect to go for occasional early doors bears after work.
Old May 25th 2011, 4:09 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Your smug level is still lower than average for a Vancouver resident.
Is it showing that much?
Old May 25th 2011, 4:09 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Are the dreams and reality a million miles apart?
For some it seems, yes.
Old May 25th 2011, 4:10 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

I work in an office in NS and its full of banter, amazingly laid back although its a busy office. The office staff are great and those out and about doing "the work" are fun too. Less corporate than anywhere I have worked before
Old May 25th 2011, 4:13 pm
Beep

Originally Posted by Howefamily
I work in an office in NS and its full of banter, amazingly laid back although its a busy office. The office staff are great and those out and about doing "the work" are fun too. Less corporate than anywhere I have worked before
I wish i had that. The office over here is the complete opposite. Very corporate, serious, boring people who don't interact that much. T'is why i work from home most of the time now. I have much better banter with my 5 month old Pug
Old May 25th 2011, 4:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Don't expect to go for occasional early doors bears after work.
Shit, I'll be working with bears
Old May 25th 2011, 4:21 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Shit, I'll be working with bears
Oops. But I think I'll let it stand.
Old May 25th 2011, 5:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

ducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Howefamily
Interestingly my work said that I brought the banter to the office, and before that no one talked to each other..
Old May 25th 2011, 5:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

ducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
With respect, you're not in Canada yet. I'm sure that Ducktastic and other forum members who planned their move for years were well aware of the cost of car insurance and other negatives about Canada, but years of research on an internet forum doesn't substitute for the experience.

ooh just saw my name!

Indeed. We planned this move for years, bored everyone senseless with it, including ourselves. However the planning, reccie trips and all that do not compare with the day to day of being here. For a lot of reasons it is just not for us, no drama, no biggy.

We are lucky, we can turn the ship around and head on home, I know not everyone is in our position.
Old May 25th 2011, 5:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ducktastic
ooh just saw my name!

Indeed. We planned this move for years, bored everyone senseless with it, including ourselves. However the planning, reccie trips and all that do not compare with the day to day of being here. For a lot of reasons it is just not for us, no drama, no biggy.

We are lucky, we can turn the ship around and head on home, I know not everyone is in our position.
Have you tried different areas in Canada, I read a thread from a couple who were miserable in BC but tried NS before giving up totally and now they love it.
Old May 25th 2011, 5:25 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ducktastic
ooh just saw my name!

quoted because it's true.

Ignorance is bliss I say
Old May 25th 2011, 5:30 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Good point, maybe that's why peeps are giving up after such a short time. Fail to prepare, prepare to fail. I for one appreciate both the pos and neg on here, for instance the high cost of car insurance was an eyeopener.
It really isn't that simple. And there are plenty of posters, like me, who had no preparation at all for moving here and like it quite a lot. It's a crapshoot honestly.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.