Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Its official Alberta Health is Closed

Its official Alberta Health is Closed

Old May 22nd 2010, 12:26 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Its official Alberta Health is Closed

Have you considered other places than Alberta?

http://www.practicenl.ca/nursing/ for example.
Old May 22nd 2010, 2:30 am
Forum Regular

Exilelass is just really niceExilelass is just really niceExilelass is just really niceExilelass is just really niceExilelass is just really niceExilelass is just really niceExilelass is just really niceExilelass is just really niceExilelass is just really niceExilelass is just really nice

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
I am sure there is still a huge need for medical staff. The Provincial government is cutting back on its funding. One could argue this is the right thing to do, equally, one could argue it isn`t.

Best of luck with your future plans
There is a big difference between medical and nursing staff. There is a need for both.

However, the Federal Government cut back on training places for doctors. There is no hope of Canada producing enough doctors in the next 20 years. Politically they are not prepared to import enough to bring the service up to snuff as it would cost a fortune.

One of the problems of living in such a huge country with so few folk in it.
Old May 22nd 2010, 3:42 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

I'm surprised at that letter.

If you search the Alberta Health Services jobs, there are in fact 307 registered nurses jobs posted, and if you further exclude those that are only open to internal candidates (), there are still 69 posts, likely those which they've advertised and not filled previously.

Check it out http://ahs.healthjobs.ab.ca/SearchResults.aspx

Now most of these are casual or part-time, but if you land one of these that immediately puts you into the realm of "internal candidate" and opens up all the others.

If you are determined to come to Alberta, I'm sure there is a way, ..........

Last edited by Alberta_Rose; May 22nd 2010 at 3:49 am.
Old May 22nd 2010, 4:35 am
Banned

Lemi has much to be proud ofLemi has much to be proud ofLemi has much to be proud ofLemi has much to be proud ofLemi has much to be proud ofLemi has much to be proud ofLemi has much to be proud ofLemi has much to be proud ofLemi has much to be proud ofLemi has much to be proud ofLemi has much to be proud of

Alberta Health aren't renewing LMOs for those with existing TWPs who's visas are up, or granting LMOs for any new TFWs. Canadian jobs for Canadian workers.
Old May 22nd 2010, 5:52 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Ah, I see. That's not quite the same thing as saying Alberta Health is closed.

Eventually they will see the light and start hiring again. They'll have to. It's just such a shame they are driving away good people right now.

By the time they do (another) U-turn many people who they've shunned will have moved on with their lives and gone elsewhere.

It's not unusual though, and not confined to Canada. When I was in the NHS I was helping to shortlist applicants and was told to put anybody who wasn't already licensed and resident in the UK straight in the rejects pile.

At that time new physio grads in the UK were unable to find jobs. There were over a hundred applicants for most jobs posted, and I know some decided to go abroad, and some left the profession completely, having wasted all that time training and not even able to get started once graduated.

It's a horrible situation. Both nurses and "Allied Health Professionals" now have masters level entry, so at least 6 years to qualify, and then not to be able to find work at the end of it?.....
Old May 22nd 2010, 12:10 pm
Forum Regular

FStone is just really niceFStone is just really niceFStone is just really niceFStone is just really niceFStone is just really niceFStone is just really niceFStone is just really niceFStone is just really nice

I am a Canadian nurse currently in the UK with my husband. For the past 3 years we had been planning on moving to Calgary (we met in Banff 4 years ago) and now that our move is looming this summer, we are gutted that we won't be able to go! There are no jobs in Calgary at all, the external candidate jobs are pretty much all in remote areas and are casual/part-time.

We have been saying since September 'oh it will change by the time we get there' but it became clear a month ago that it won't be happening for us. We are now going to Vancouver, and I am even more excited about Van than Calgary!

There are lots of options in other provinces ladies, and it may only be temporary and then you can get to Alberta when jobs open up again!

Good luck to all applying!
Old May 22nd 2010, 12:57 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by FStone
I am a Canadian nurse currently in the UK with my husband. For the past 3 years we had been planning on moving to Calgary (we met in Banff 4 years ago) and now that our move is looming this summer, we are gutted that we won't be able to go! There are no jobs in Calgary at all, the external candidate jobs are pretty much all in remote areas and are casual/part-time.

We have been saying since September 'oh it will change by the time we get there' but it became clear a month ago that it won't be happening for us. We are now going to Vancouver, and I am even more excited about Van than Calgary!

There are lots of options in other provinces ladies, and it may only be temporary and then you can get to Alberta when jobs open up again!

Good luck to all applying!
I'm sure there are male nurses applying to Canada as well.
As for other provinces Ontario's health care is suffering too. Job freezes, nurses being laid off. The Ontario govt has banned pay rises for non union hospital employees for 3 years.
Old May 22nd 2010, 1:33 pm
Forum Regular

FStone is just really niceFStone is just really niceFStone is just really niceFStone is just really niceFStone is just really niceFStone is just really niceFStone is just really niceFStone is just really nice

Originally Posted by fledermaus
I'm sure there are male nurses applying to Canada as well.
As for other provinces Ontario's health care is suffering too. Job freezes, nurses being laid off. The Ontario govt has banned pay rises for non union hospital employees for 3 years.
I wasn't trying to be sexist, there are obviously male nurses applying. I work with loads of them and did in Canada as well. I don't understand why people have to be so picky on these forums????

Yes I do realize that as I am originally from Ontario and all my friends still work in Ontario and one just found out she is being laid off, but there are many more provinces and territories than Alberta and Ontario (8 provinces minus AB and ON and 3 territories)! We are feeling the pinch here in the UK as well, some days we have 8 gaps on my ward alone, yet no new jobs are being advertised. It is expected to be covered by our own staff working extra shifts and bank staff.

All I am trying to say is there are loads of jobs available in other provinces than Alberta, you just have to be flexible and may need to temporarily move to another province until Alberta opens up positions again.
Old May 22nd 2010, 2:16 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by FStone
I wasn't trying to be sexist, there are obviously male nurses applying. I work with loads of them and did in Canada as well. I don't understand why people have to be so picky on these forums????

Yes I do realize that as I am originally from Ontario and all my friends still work in Ontario and one just found out she is being laid off, but there are many more provinces and territories than Alberta and Ontario (8 provinces minus AB and ON and 3 territories)! We are feeling the pinch here in the UK as well, some days we have 8 gaps on my ward alone, yet no new jobs are being advertised. It is expected to be covered by our own staff working extra shifts and bank staff.

All I am trying to say is there are loads of jobs available in other provinces than Alberta, you just have to be flexible and may need to temporarily move to another province until Alberta opens up positions again.
Which provinces? It might be helpful to let people know where these jobs are.

As for moving to once province and then on to another? People have done it I know but considering the stress and $$$ involved in moving homes I doubt that many would do it out of choice. Might be fun if you were single and living in rented accommodation but the costs of buying and selling houses, furniture removals, uprooting kids, your spouse finding another job, making new friends etc.- doing all that twice??
Old May 22nd 2010, 3:08 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

More on the state of Alberta Health.

Top city (Calgary) doctor targets Duckett
Old May 22nd 2010, 3:24 pm
Account Closed

Top Cat is an unknown quantity at this point

I am a Uk nurse who has recently moved to Calgary. CARNA have been most unhelpful and have discouraged me from getting registered here. Reading between the lines.. my 12 years experience would provide them with a lot of work to do all the checks and getting my training verified. They have said that I can of course apply but will not be looked at until at least 2011.. as they are only processing new grads!

I am of course pleased that new grads will at last get their job, but why dont they think ahead and see that they will need experienced nurses too!

Anyhow.. like others have said.. I am going to have to retrain or find another job.. or move elsewhere in Canada.

Or back to the UK

Anyone thinking of coming to Calgary at the moment without jobs... A SERIOUS WARNING... There are jobs, but you will have to take a serious pay drop in order to survive and get known. Im talking from experience here which is why I can only comment on Calgary. Hubby has a job, which we are thankful for but it doesnt cover our outgoings.. so our standard of living is much diminished... but we live somewhere that is lovely.. so thats the trade off!!

If I could work as a nurse we would be ok!

Please noone bite my head off.. its my opinion and definately a reality here!!

Top Cat
Old May 22nd 2010, 3:52 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

NO biting here.

Have people considered the territories? Nunavut, Yukon, etc.
Old May 22nd 2010, 5:21 pm
RN1
BE Enthusiast

RN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to all

Yup AHS has completely messed up & this dreadful experiment of having one huge super board here has backfired big time & cost shed loads of unaffordable dollars &, as usual, the citizens & front line workers are copping the flack & bearing the brunt while the politicians & board members give themselves good pensions & great pay rises!

It will go full circle at some point I'm sure - especially with Gulf oil leak leading the Americans back to those oilsands (hehehe.) However, how long that will be I don't know!
Old May 22nd 2010, 5:33 pm
Forum Regular

Exilelass is just really niceExilelass is just really niceExilelass is just really niceExilelass is just really niceExilelass is just really niceExilelass is just really niceExilelass is just really niceExilelass is just really niceExilelass is just really niceExilelass is just really nice

Originally Posted by Top Cat
I am a Uk nurse who has recently moved to Calgary. CARNA have been most unhelpful and have discouraged me from getting registered here.

Top Cat
When we came,to Alberta in '89, I was told I would need to retrain! I qualified from, what was then considered to be, the top college in EUROPE! I have three nursing qualifications and was a ward sister for years before moving and they wanted me to retrain. Not just do a course to learn the lingo; but go back to step one and learn it all again their way.

On yer bike!

I set up my own counselling practice and have not nursed since.

You have my sympathies trying to deal with that kind of mindset.
Old May 22nd 2010, 5:35 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Top Cat

I am of course pleased that new grads will at last get their job, but why dont they think ahead and see that they will need experienced nurses too!

Anyhow.. like others have said.. I am going to have to retrain or find another job.. or move elsewhere in Canada.

Top Cat
Is this of any use to you?

http://www.viha.ca/careers/job_postings/nursing/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.