Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Its official Alberta Health is Closed

Its official Alberta Health is Closed

Old May 21st 2010, 8:02 pm
Forum Regular

md5037 is just really nicemd5037 is just really nicemd5037 is just really nicemd5037 is just really nicemd5037 is just really nicemd5037 is just really nicemd5037 is just really nicemd5037 is just really nice
Default Its official Alberta Health is Closed

After months of hoping for a miracle got the email this week from Alberta Health.

No nursing jobs in forseeable future and send in your claim for expenses.

We knew it was coming and have been looking at other options.

As i have stated in other posts we were lucky really we could have been there on a TWP then sent home, and that would have hurt a lot more.

So we pick ourselves up dust off and move on. I know the economic world is hurting but is Canada feeling it more? as it seems looking at official recruitment papers, nmc etc the rest of the usual countries are still taking in ie Oz an NZ. I have no proof of this and it may just be Canadas population has reduced recently or the air makes everyone feel younger. If so the door could be closed for a huge amount of driven people.

Still a dream to move but the wait i am sure will make us stronger.
Old May 21st 2010, 8:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Its official Alberta Health is Closed

Originally Posted by md5037
After months of hoping for a miracle got the email this week from Alberta Health.

No nursing jobs in forseeable future and send in your claim for expenses.

We knew it was coming and have been looking at other options.

As i have stated in other posts we were lucky really we could have been there on a TWP then sent home, and that would have hurt a lot more.

So we pick ourselves up dust off and move on. I know the economic world is hurting but is Canada feeling it more? as it seems looking at official recruitment papers, nmc etc the rest of the usual countries are still taking in ie Oz an NZ. I have no proof of this and it may just be Canadas population has reduced recently or the air makes everyone feel younger. If so the door could be closed for a huge amount of driven people.

Still a dream to move but the wait i am sure will make us stronger.
I am sure there is still a huge need for medical staff. The Provincial government is cutting back on its funding. One could argue this is the right thing to do, equally, one could argue it isn`t.

Best of luck with your future plans
Old May 21st 2010, 8:30 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
I am sure there is still a huge need for medical staff. The Provincial government is cutting back on its funding. One could argue this is the right thing to do, equally, one could argue it isn't.
One of the things I think Alberta Health is going to try to move more towards is much more use of LPNs (Licensed Practical Nurses) rather than RNs.

I'm not so sure that this is the right thing to do and would expect to see a huge push-back from the United Nurses of Alberta.
Old May 21st 2010, 8:31 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with the PP.

It's more to do with lack of $$$ than anything.

LPNs are cheaper than RNs aren't they?
Old May 21st 2010, 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
I agree with the PP.

It's more to do with lack of $$$ than anything.

LPNs are cheaper than RNs aren't they?
In Alberta:

LPN average salary range $20.69 to $26.23 per hour.

RN average salary range $30.36 to $39.69 per hour.
Old May 21st 2010, 8:41 pm
Forum Regular

md5037 is just really nicemd5037 is just really nicemd5037 is just really nicemd5037 is just really nicemd5037 is just really nicemd5037 is just really nicemd5037 is just really nicemd5037 is just really nice

I think with all these things it all has to do with cash.

The point i was trying to make is that the other popular countries still seem to be advertising.

This could mean that they arent that badly affected, doubtful. Or they see an oppurtunity to take skilled workers when Canada is closing the door.

For us Oz isnt appealing but it may be for the people who just want out of the UK, of which we arent one.

All over the world cuts are beinging made and maybe some countries will blink last.

Those heady days of Calgary being desperate for workers seem long gone and i just hope the health care system can take it because if not in a few years the shortages will be worse.
Old May 21st 2010, 8:48 pm

Those heady days of Calgary being desperate for workers seem long gone and i just hope the health care system can take it because if not in a few years the shortages will be worse.
Unfortunately Calgary is still likely desperate for workers it's just that Alberta Health is trying cut costs in some interesting ways and not necessarily succeeding. Also they are still building the South Hospital here in Calgary and will have to staff it in the next two or three years.

We haven't lost any population or if we have the drop is minuscule, the population is aging and will need more medical intervention as it does so.

Last edited by Steve_P; May 21st 2010 at 9:21 pm.
Old May 21st 2010, 9:09 pm

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

I think with all these things it all has to do with cash.

The point i was trying to make is that the other popular countries still seem to be advertising.

This could mean that they arent that badly affected, doubtful. Or they see an oppurtunity to take skilled workers when Canada is closing the door.

For us Oz isnt appealing but it may be for the people who just want out of the UK, of which we arent one.

All over the world cuts are beinging made and maybe some countries will blink last.

Well, Alberta Health may be closing the door, but that doesn't mean Canada as a whole is. Have you looked into other provinces?
Old May 21st 2010, 9:33 pm
Forum Regular

Yes we are Kiwi, some are in the same situation and others seem more positive so have just started the registration process all over again.

We hopefully are a glass half full kind of people, and as we said it could have been worse.

We know we want to go to Canada so hopefully we can get across, maybe not to our first choice but if we get in then after a few years PR etc we would have other choices to make. I know to some on here that sounds crazy but each to their own and we are doing this for our kids and they have time to grow, so its get foot in then who knows.

We arent beaten yet just.
Old May 21st 2010, 9:35 pm

Good for you. I hope it works out. Which provinces are looking positive can I ask?
Old May 21st 2010, 10:01 pm
Forum Regular

NB/NS look the best options at minute.

Ontario never replied
BC said they are duty bound to take citizens, fair enough, so internationals would be near the back of the queue.

The only complaint i would have is the bodies you register with have no overview of the job situation so they are all happy to register you although there may be no employment. At a few hundred pounds a time you cant register with every province.

But its not my rules and i want to play the game.
Old May 21st 2010, 10:28 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

NB/NS look the best options at minute.

Ontario never replied
BC said they are duty bound to take citizens, fair enough, so internationals would be near the back of the queue.

The only complaint i would have is the bodies you register with have no overview of the job situation so they are all happy to register you although there may be no employment. At a few hundred pounds a time you cant register with every province.

But its not my rules and i want to play the game.
I think one of the reasons the cork was put in the bottle, was a story in the paper where the nursing schools were graduating 700 nurses per year, but the graduates were unable to find full time positions in Alberta and were having to move to other areas of Canada. I don't think the "politicians" can stand the heat, when constituents are saying "how come were are graduating an over supply of nurses, but the hospitals are hiring off shore?
Old May 21st 2010, 10:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

bear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nice

Hi, see if you can google the letters page from todays Edmonton Journal as there is a letter from the nurses union. It hits the nail on the head as to how nursing has been screwed in Alberta over the last 18 months. Its a case of penny wise pound foolish and as posted above the population is both growing and growing old. Hopefuly someone will see sense about recruiting from over seas before the world of nurses boycotts Alberta for the shoddy way they are treating the immigrants as the moment.
Old May 21st 2010, 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by bear-diesel
Hi, see if you can Google the letters page from today's Edmonton Journal as there is a letter from the nurses union. It hits the nail on the head as to how nursing has been screwed in Alberta over the last 18 months. Its a case of penny wise pound foolish and as posted above the population is both growing and growing old. Hopefully someone will see sense about recruiting from over seas before the world of nurses boycotts Alberta for the shoddy way they are treating the immigrants as the moment.
Here you go.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/opini...217/story.html
Old May 21st 2010, 11:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

bear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nice

Thanks, I'm not that computer savvy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.